miller table question

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Home made drop riffle, 'zook' mini prospector, 'zook' sniper
Primary Interest:
Other
been doing some research on miller tables .. different materials are used for the "bed" and most plans call for a smooth flat surface to start with then coated with rubber, cutting mats or blackboard paint ect ect ,so my question is would it be feasible using a sheet of glass coated with blackboard paint for a "bed" as i have quite a few sheets lying around. thx all

Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
yes BUT youll need to use a etched glass to get the paint to adhear to the glass and the paint will have tobe renewed when scratched. I much prefer using slate for my Miller table . ive used the paint and ,yes it worked but the slate did a much better job and I don't have to renew its surface after a lot of use. the other choice would be the Black Majic device using the rubber mat (drawer liner)that is sold at the home improvement stores. it works better than the paint!

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
just a thought, when i was a glazier, cutting table tops, pattern lam glass for windshields , took a belt sander to smooth out edges on the rough cuts and then to a cork belt to polish.
why not just use a belt sander (wet) on the face of the glass, in one direction perpendicular to the flow of your water flow

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
been doing some research on miller tables .. different materials are used for the "bed" and most plans call for a smooth flat surface to start with then coated with rubber, cutting mats or blackboard paint ect ect ,so my question is would it be feasible using a sheet of glass coated with blackboard paint for a "bed" as i have quite a few sheets lying around. thx all

you could but I wouldn't after seeing this one work...

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/443477-jeff-s-rubber-mat-miller-table.html

You can build it for about $100.00 and it catches gold that I can't even see until I look in the collection vial. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Au dave

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks all for your replies why i was thinking of glass is that i have several sheets that i cant use for my greenhouse construction and being on a pension cant/dont really want to spend cash until my gold hunting pays for it...i do have some glass etching solution which i was thinking of using to help the paint stick and have previously tried to source drawer liner locally but it seems to be not available in Aust. I think i will build one using Jeffs plans but using paint and see how it performs.will keep you all updated on the build and operation and thx again ....this forum absolutely rocks and its members are most helpfull and friendly...dave .

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wonder if plain etched glass would work. That might give you just enough surface texture. Maybe try it before you paint?

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thanks all for your replies why i was thinking of glass is that i have several sheets that i cant use for my greenhouse construction and being on a pension cant/dont really want to spend cash until my gold hunting pays for it...i do have some glass etching solution which i was thinking of using to help the paint stick and have previously tried to source drawer liner locally but it seems to be not available in Aust. I think i will build one using Jeffs plans but using paint and see how it performs.will keep you all updated on the build and operation and thx again ....this forum absolutely rocks and its members are most helpfull and friendly...dave .

Gotta give credit where it is due. The table has my name on it alright but AZViper built it...along with many many other rock solid builds.:icon_thumright:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wonder if plain etched glass would work. That might give you just enough surface texture. Maybe try it before you paint?

Excellent idea. You don't want that much "nape" to the surface. You can always add the paint later.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When one actually analyzes how an ideal miller table works it comes down to a fine balance between specific gravity, friction and water flow with a little shape thrown in. The true key, it seems to me, is classification. If all the particles are more or less the same size, then any dead flat surface that creates friction will work well provided the water flow and angle is adjusted correctly. That said, slate is probably the best since, even when smooth to the touch, it still has thousands and thousands (millions or billions?) of microscopic sharp projections that create friction.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Au dave

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
my bad ..azvipers plans of miller table .. sorry Az

OP
OP
Au dave

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
looks like im gonna have to make a couple ...i think i have some frosted sheets and a mate has a sandblaster at work ...much food for thought

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run a cutting mat table. I sanded mine with 400 grit just enough to kill the shine. Gold pretty much stays where dropped, unless it's flat and can catch current, or round and log shaped.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Capt depending on the tip of the table and the water pressure of the source the bigger gold will do as you say BUT the finer gold will move down the table and result in you needing to rerun the material at a different tip of the table and or less water. always rerun your material with different tilt and water speed.

OP
OP
Au dave

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
so i jerry built up a small table..had a bathroom window 14" x 26" in an aluminium frame and just knocked off 1end, set it up with about 1/4" fall and ran a 350 l/h pond pump on it ...didnt prep glass in any way as i wanted to see what would happen (the glass is slightly dimpled) . ran about 4 cups of cons classified to 20 mesh ...result.. 2 specks and very little flour collected. next test will be with 1 coat blackboard paint..sorry no pics will do on next run

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
so i jerry built up a small table..had a bathroom window 14" x 26" in an aluminium frame and just knocked off 1end, set it up with about 1/4" fall and ran a 350 l/h pond pump on it ...didnt prep glass in any way as i wanted to see what would happen (the glass is slightly dimpled) . ran about 4 cups of cons classified to 20 mesh ...result.. 2 specks and very little flour collected. next test will be with 1 coat blackboard paint..sorry no pics will do on next run

If you have other smaller opening classifiers (50 and 100 mesh would be handy and are pretty inexpensive in 4 and 6" sizes here in the US) use them and run each screen size separately eg. plus 50, and plus and minus 100. When you mix material with that big a range of size (just minus 20 mesh) you will get less than desirable results since the smaller material gold included will or may wash out depending on water flow and angle before the larger material moves out.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Au dave

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
i had the same thoughts with material size ...unfortunately the classifiers are Au $68 a piece ...even on ebuy .looks like the missus is gonna be missing a fine sieve from the kitchen ...lol

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I now look for slate chalk boards at garage sales. Before I joined T-net, I didn't give them a second look.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread