Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now, this board here.....Is it just like a water gate?

Space it up "a couple nickles"?

Adjust the water speed accordingly to keep the box behind it regulated?

Having some issues with the pic

004.JPG Thats correct,At least thats how I designed the table.Ill see if I can find a better pix. of it

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now, this board here.....Is it just like a water gate?

Space it up "a couple nickles"?

Adjust the water speed accordingly to keep the box behind it regulated?

Having some issues with the pic

View attachment 1722805 Thats correct,At least thats how I designed the table.Ill see if I can find a better pix. of it 013.JPG on the right you'll see wooden dowels glues in place.For the 'dam' board to slide up & down .This allows for easy change of water flow down the table.
But through trial & error i found the best water flow to be 2 nickles high.(that's with a 4" drop over the 4 ' table length,and using This size pump).

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if I would want it to be adjustable, or hard mounted

Do you change it often?

In the beginning i changed the height often to get it correct,But i don't anymore. So you could probably skip that .Cause now the 'proper height' is known.FOR this particular table & pump combo

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
003.JPG different view while being built

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
In the beginning i changed the height often to get it correct,But i don't anymore. So you could probably skip that .Cause now the 'proper height' is known.FOR this particular table & pump combo
I suppose I imagined more of a hardmounted, set height for a desired water depth.

Then adjusting the pump flow for proper performance.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose I imagined more of a hardmounted, set height for a desired water depth.

Then adjusting the pump flow for proper performance.

that will work

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A bottom outlet for water flow is uncontrollable (unknown until you try it) unless the "gate" can be adjusted. I would eliminate the bottom gate idea and make a dam (shorter then the sides and back) where water is forced to flow over the top of the dam as the reservoir over fills. Water seeks it's own level so it will overflow evenly across the width of the dam if it is set up level to begin with and you can infinitely adjust just how much that flow is (the water depth on the table itself) by adjusting how fast the reservoir is filled. There should be little to no turbulence at the base of the dam and what little there may be will settle down in a very short distance as the water levels out across the bed. Water speed can be adjusted by adjusting table angle Kind of the KISS method IMO.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems to me that a bottom outlet for water flow is uncontrollable (unknown until you try it) unless the "gate" can be adjusted. I would eliminate the bottom gate idea and make a dam (shorter then the sides and back) where water is forced to flow over the top of the dam as the reservoir over fills. Water seeks it's own level so it will overflow evenly across the width of the dam and you can infinitely adjust just how much that flow is (the water depth on the table itself) by adjusting how fast the reservoir is filled. There should be little to no turbulence at the base of the dam and what little there may be will settle down in a very short distance as the water levels out across the bed. Kind of the KISS method IMO.

Good luck.
I reckon that makes some sense too. Decisions, decisions.....

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the idea of the Dam is to smooth out the water(eliminating bubbles and waves)while its just leaving the reservoir.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A dam overflowing evenly will not create that scenario unless it is tall and fast flowing.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Build one & let me know .Been there ,did that.
A#1....Also don't forget the 'slot' on the table.Its the width and depth of a table saw blade. About 8" downstream from the Dam.It will catch all the small gold.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Both are equally easy to construct. The difference is that one is only going to flow a pre-set amount of water (maybe too little, maybe too much) depending on the dimensions of the opening once the reservoir level is set unless that opening is adjustable. The other has flow regulated by a valve, which you will have to use anyway, so volume of flow, depth across the table, is adjustable without experimenting with different sized openings. No matter what design you choose, make sure that you tightly classify the feed so that gold is king.

Good luck.

PS In either instance, introduce the water into the reservoir evenly across and under the water fill level to prevent bulging and/or bubbles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Both are equally easy to construct. The difference is that one is only going to flow a pre-set amount of water (maybe too little, maybe too much) depending on the dimensions of the opening once the reservoir level is set unless that opening is adjustable. The other has flow regulated by a valve, which you will have to use anyway, so volume of flow, depth across the table, is adjustable without experimenting with different sized openings. No matter what design you choose, make sure that you tightly classify the feed so that gold is king.

Good luck.

PS In either instance, introduce the water into the reservoir evenly across and under the water fill level to prevent bulging and/or bubbles.
In the type of reservior/dam system you speak of....What dam height would you suggest?

Or could you perhaps give a photo or illustration of it?

I understand the principal of what you're saying, but not quite how to build it yet.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The dam can be about 1/2" shorter than the height of the walls since the flow down the table during operation will always be less than that. Bevel the bottom so you can install the dam slightly slanted backwards so when you tilt the table the water will still flow down the dam rather than free falling. If you don't bevel then just make sure the high point is still at about 1/2" shorter than the sides when installed and fill the void at the base.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Build one & let me know .Been there ,did that.
A#1....Also don't forget the 'slot' on the table.Its the width and depth of a table saw blade. About 8" downstream from the Dam.It will catch all the small gold.

I like the slot, do the sands clear out well enough?

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
The dam can be about 1/2" shorter than the height of the walls since the flow down the table during operation will always be less than that. Bevel the bottom so you can install the dam slightly slanted backwards so when you tilt the table the water will still flow down the dam rather than free falling. If you don't bevel then just make sure the high point is still at about 1/2" shorter than the sides when installed and fill the void at the base.

Something like this? With say, a 1.5" wall, and a 1" dam.

img20190615_08475434.jpg

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions