Millions being spent to remove roads from Gifford Pinchot.

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been scanning over allot of images of gifford pinchot on google earth and other sattelite image aps. I keep seeing roads that have been destroyed and back filled. I got looking into it a little and some organization called "The gifford pinchot task force" is literally spending millions to accomplish this. Every year they destroy more roads. The road that is the best access to my claim has been barred off and I suspect they intend to destroy it also.

They're goal stated goal is also to get wilderness designation over a huge area that they are making roadless which happens to include the largest mining district in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest.

I find it damn disturbing. I could'nt find who is actually funding them last night, but they are spending literally millions of dollars a year.
It's a very disturbing trend and seams contrary to the National Forest Laws set forth by congress.

Does anyone else on here prospect in Gifford Pinchot? Does anyone have any more information on this?
I would like to discuss the matter with the forest service but I also do not want to draw unwanted attention to myself.
It seams like people are out to take every single right that makes us free from us.
I don't understand how they can come up with these massive resources.

I just thought I'd bring it up for discussion and see what folks have to say about it.

Upvote 0

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's safe to assume that the work they are doing is in conjunction with the National Forest Service - no private organization can just decide to meander into National forest and start dozing roads shut. That said, there is no shortage of support for organizations such as this or the funding they receive, they seem to be a spin off of the Sierra Club.

Over the last few years, the Task Force has conducted on-the-ground road surveys, carried out a forest-wide GIS analysis, and conducted a public opinion survey to capture important information about the use and impact of roads in the forest. We have also worked to increase funding for the Legacy Roads and Trails Remediation Program to help the Forest Service maintain necessary roads, reclaim unnecessary or problem roads, and repair trails, culverts, bridges, and stream crossings.

I guess a positive for this may be that your claim would be much more difficult for jumpers to gain access to as well. Best of Luck.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well Ragnor, if it comes down to it you can fight them by using their own tactics. By law, any road that is shown on a topographical map that is dated 1976 or before is designated as a PUBLIC THOROUGHFARE. What does this mean you ask? Well first off it means that those roads can not be closed to public access without a full environmental impact STUDY being done before the closure goes into effect. Many times the Forest Service will try to get away with only filing an environmental impact STATEMENT which does NOT meet the requirements of the laws. It doesn't matter if the road is paved, dirt or a simple two track jeep trail. If it's on a map from 1976 or before, it's protected by law.

What I would suggest is that you go to the district office for the Forest Service and have the following items in hand. A copy of a USGA map dated before 1976 that shows the road, a copy of the law, (I'll have to look it up and give you that info or maybe Clay knows it off the top of his head) and a small tape recorder. If you have to, make an appointment with the District Ranger. Inform him that you'd like to tape the meeting (so he knows he's got to give you the straight story) Then show him the map, the law and then ask to see a copy of the Environmental impact STUDY that was done prior to any road closures. If he can't produce one then request that the road(s) in question either be reopened or or be ready to go to court over the matter.

The Forest Service will often try to get away with just doing the statement instead of the study because it only costs them about $50 instead of the $500,000 that your average study costs. Most of the public do not know about this law and the requirements it lays out for road closures. If they're working with some group, I'd expect some resistance from them but stand your ground. If need be, contact groups like PLP for some help! The gifford pinchot task force (GPTF) is a not for profit group out of Portland, OR. As such their records have to be public record. I'd also do some deeper exploration into them as well. A quick glance at their site and from what you said has me thinking I'm smelling three day old fish here.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its all for the city folk to come to on there 2 week vacation, they have the Mount St. Helens Volcano National Monument
and now they want corridors spreading out in all directions. http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd488102.pdf

You can find some of the road closures here and in the archives at the bottom of the page.
Gifford Pinchot National Forest - Projects
If you need access for a mining claim they will work with you, unless you upset them big time then they hold will up POO's for 10 plus years.
Its best to try to work with them as best you can, participate, keep up dated new road closure projects and when they have comment periods.
sometimes you can to use RS2477 if road existed before 1976 the rightaway is grandfathered in?
RS 2477 Roads & Rights-of-Way (Summary) - ICMJ's Prospecting and Mining Journal
Judicial Rulings R.S. 2477: Rights of Way Over Public Land

looks like they spent Millions, looks like some good some bad, what they see as deteriorating roads may be the only access for miners.
http://www.gptaskforce.org/our-work/forest-roads-1

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another way to get grants is to close roads here, maybe check and see if they are applying for grants; because on our grant apps it asks how many roads will be closed and where...

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just wondering what happens when they have a forest fire in some of these areas after they remove the roads . I know they have jumpers and fire plains etc , but what happens if they need to get them out quick and can't fly . The roads could be a safe haven for the fire fighters if they have a flash over , just stupid in my opinion .

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your absolute rights of egress and regress are protected under the 1872 mining Laws, which the dogs don't follow. They were further codified under the Nixon administration(tricky Dick did some things right) and absolute verbage mandates your access not to be removed. FIGHT THE SOBS-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread