MILTIA BELT PLATE

2country

Apr 23, 2006
SE Virginia
I found what I think is an old militia belt plate and a couple of flat buttons a few days ago at a plantation site that dates back to about 1750 not to far from my house . I found 2 pics of the belt plate , one said it dates back to 1810 , the other said 1820 . What do yall think ? The hook in the front got bent over backwards somehow , but I'll still take it .

Attachments

• Belt1.JPG
    Belt1.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 4,171
  • Belt2.JPG
    Belt2.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 4,152
  • Belt1.JPG
    Belt1.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 4,142
  • Belt2.JPG
    Belt2.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 4,129
Upvote 0
Congrats on making the banner, sure looks good up there. Good luck at that site.

Mainer

That is a remarkable find congrats :headbang:

awesome find.
I like how the iron keepers rusted away and you can tell how they were sitting on the back...
Very nice..............

Really nice find! Congrats on making the banner.

looks like its been out of thr ground for awhile buttons to. when did you obtain them?

Gorgeous belt plate, I would like to have at least half of one in my collection. A full one would be great but beggers cannot be chosers. GREAT FIND!!!!

Awesome plate! Every relic hunters dream! :headbang:

jfx55 , I found it January 29th about 4:30 pm . The field it came from is next to the river and the field is river sand . The stuff I find in this type of sand comes out in pretty good shape . I cleaned it with soap and a soft tooth brush . Hope this answers your question .

Hey Cool Belt Plate!! I found the exact same plate a couple of years ago, Check out my pic on the left of your screen. I was stoked to find it and glad to see you made the banner. I hardly got a comment on the one I found :laughing9: That plate was the reason I found this website, I was trying to Identify it. I thought it must have been a rather common find with the type of response I got. Makes me feel now as though I have at least found an item that is "Banner Worthy :notworthy:"
Congrats and keep on huntin".

I found the same belt plate back in November 2006. It also made the banner on page six. At the time, PBK said this about it:

Great find, Bookfisher! It's a c. 1815-1825 Militia (or "Common Militia") waist belt plate. It's sometimes listed as a "War of 1812 Period" belt plate; however, any usage would have come very late in the war.

Attachments

• plate.jpg
    plate.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,846
  • plate2.jpg
    plate2.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,854
  • plate.jpg
    plate.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,846
  • plate2.jpg
    plate2.jpg