Mine in U.S. closed and never reopened after earthquake?

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if this belongs in the prospecting forum. Thought maybe someone here would know where or what mine this was.

Years ago a friends dad told us a story of some Gold mine in the western? part of the U.S. that was closed after an earthquake and they could no longer get to a huge deposit because the fault moved? Or maybe were not allowed by government?

This was 20 plus years ago when he told us the story, I don't remember details. Just for my own curiosity I was trying to find the location or even state that it was in. All I remember for sure was that an earthquake, a huge deposit that they know exists, and you can't get to it,(because of government or the way it moved during a earthquake.)

May have been a government conspiracy he was talking about, a legend, or completely made up? I was just thinking about it and was trying to figure out what in the world he was even talking about.

Does any of this fit anything someone knows about a mine, conspiracy,or legend?

I remember him saying the mountain moved and moved the deposit ?, I'm assuming he meant a fault.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
There were two significant quakes in Cali around 20 years ago: the Loma Prieta earthquake of October 17, 1989; and the Northridge quake of 1994. I believe it was the Loma Prieta quake. If I recall correctly, it was caused by the shiting of the plates where the Northridge was caused by a thrust fault muck like the one responsible for the earthquake that destroyed the small town of Coalinga, CA in 1983. Someone check me on the facts but I think i'm pretty close.

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
I forgot to ask, what there alcohol involved during this converasation either on his part, your part, or both?:drunken_smilie::occasion14:

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to ask, what there alcohol involved during this converasation either on his part, your part, or both?:drunken_smilie::occasion14:

:laughing7: No, I would have remembered the "facts", if alcohol would have been involved! :occasion14: It's one of those things as a kid that you believe half your life as true. Then later on sitting and thinking about it,wonder if there was any truth to it or if it was nonsense. I do remember a lot of conspiracy theories or "things the people don't know" stories. Not sure if this was one of them or not. Earlier, I was searching online and couldn't find anything on it. Not sure of the time period this happened. He told us this over 20 years ago, so I forgot details.

I'm still searching online.......

Thanks for the info, I'll see if those years turn any info up..

Last edited:

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I seem to remember something from the California forum under treasure legends a long time ago about someone finding one of the lost legend mines but losing it to a collapse because of a quake, I was thinking down by Riverside. Maybe Kokoweef or one of those I don't know. Anywho give those a search or two

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
If it was Riverside then I'm pretty sure it would be the Northridge quake. I went through both as well as many others while living in Cal. but those two were major shakers.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This may be the mine your friend was talking about and got some of the facts wrong.

The San Manuel (AZ) underground copper mine shut down over 20 years ago after being in operation over 30 years. The porphyry copper ore body* they actively mined was the upper, and smaller, portion of a massive deposit that had been split by an ancient fault and the lower portion was displaced a thousand feet or more deeper. Even though it was reported that the lower portion was higher grade they opted not to mine it due to the expense to develop it and low copper prices. They shut down after they ran out of ore in the upper portion. I seem to remember that gold was a valuable by product in the ore as it is in other area mines and the general area was/is an Arizona gold district. The mining took place up to about 2,000 feet underground if I remember correctly and it was very hot (over 100 degrees). I think it once was the largest underground copper mine in the world.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porphyry_copper_deposit

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread