Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
19Blockhead64 said:
I was thinking of a Minelab SE or E-Trac also, but I was tired of buying on line and getting a detector that wasn't what I thought it would be or perform as well as expected.

So today I traveled 2 hours one way to Pro/Stock Metal Detectors (http://www.prostockdetectors.com/) because he has an entire arsenal of detectors you can take for a spin.

Well I couldn't wait to get my hands on a Minelab and glad I did. I don't think I would of liked it, there is so many settings I could see myself screwing it up and getting frustrated with it. The gentleman warned me they take time to learn and not everybody gets it.

The difference between the MXT knob controls you have and a Minelab's user innerface are night and day. If money is no object get it, but if it's not you might want to try and get your hands on one and take it for a spin.
I think you did the right thing, test drive before you buy, great idea! Keep in mind that once you set up the detector, you're not constantly tweaking the bells and whistles. I use Minelab Exp II, and I dug my first silver and indian cent within the first 20 minutes of swinging the thing. A caveman could do it! LOL!!

OP
OP
tdigger

tdigger

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2010
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6/MXT
Thanks to all the replies that I received about which detectors I should concider when thinking of increasing the depth of the targets I recover.I have been hunting religiously for a little over two years and am getting frustrated that I am not finding any silver coins.Well i am being impatient apparently.last club hunt I found a silver Rosie,yaaahooo.I was beginning to think I wasn't setting my detector up correctly.I guess the problem has to do with location not technique.I started talking with one of my buddies and he reminded me of how many silver rings I have found,I seem to find them on a regular bases.Research,research,research that is the technique I use the least,though I do alot. I, like most Mds I imagine,just want to get out there and hunt!!!!!Thanks for your comments

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Location is everything. When I detect old house lots I always find multiple silver coins. Can't ever remember failing to hit a silver coin at an old house/yard down here in Key West where nobody detects it seems.

OT

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Town said:
liftloop said:
Take your detector up her in the U.P. I have a copper conglomerate down about 3.5 to 4 feet below the surfest. I found it with my garret box loop, the Mxt doesn't see it But my 5900 knows it there so bring your detector and witch one finds it, that would be the detector to get. I would like to see if the V3i can find it.

I don't understand your point. Why would you want copper conglomerate at 4 feet? All my finds are in the top 12 inches or so. Usually much shallower..... ...... Doe's a few hundred or even a thousand dollars excite you.that's what it mite be worth if i was to dig it out.but for now i use it to debunk so call "deep seeking"detectors.

OT

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
liftloop, I'd never heard of this copper stuff you speak of. What is it used for, or why is it more valuable than regular copper ore?

On the other hand, If I had to dig 4 feet for a few hundred bucks I wouldn't do it. That's too much like real work. LOL

mascard1

Oct 28, 2008
SACRAMENTO CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030...E-TRAC...EXPLORER SE...EXCALIBER II...TEJON...ELDORADO..LOBO ST...F75LTD...F70...CZ3D...XLT...T2...MXT Pro.. 1861 HALF DOLLAR
UncleVinnys said:
I think you could make valid arguments for either machine.
I've had both an MXT and an Explorer II.
I think the Explorer goes a wee bit deeper, but living in California,
where the history is at best 50 years old in most places, there is
not a lot of call for depth.
Most finds in my area are 3 inches or less deep, and the MXT
does a GREAT job of discrimination. But after 2 years and not
a single silver coin, I decided to go with the Explorer.
It's heavier, really good at discrimination too, but still haven't
dug up a silver. :coffee2:
swenson diggs all the silver......I got two yesterday!

RushinPA

Mar 11, 2010
Gardners, PA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, F-75
Re: I don't need Hi tech......

Displays, with my Tejon, I have a dual descriminator. Set the first on all metal, the second on foil. If it passes foil, and is deeper than 3 inches, then I take my thumb and work the first descriminator knob up till the signal starts to crack. A lot can be found by the sound, coil height, and desc. settings. I had an an XLT, a Exp II, tried a F75, demo'd the new Whites in the store. I only see people matching my depth with the F-75, and that would be more complicated than I want to learn. Simplicity has its advantages. Although sometimes my buddies can make me jealous, being that they are well schooled on the 75. I just don't want to learn something new. Having more fun with what I've got. Bet ya there is a silver coin in those sites you]ve been hunting. Take me there I'll show ya.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look guys... it's like this you buy a detector to see whats in the ground right.. no matter if it is a small object or a big object as long as it is worth money....so your out there in a field and if there is some then of value, there you want to find it... so lets say it's a 2 hundred pound piece of glacier float copper with a spot of pure silver the size of a base ball and it is folded in half.... your talking big bucks for that find...But the float copper is in the ground 3 to 4 feet deep...now would like to tell me witch detector you own is going to find it....I now my box loop would pick it up and my 5900 with the 15 inch coil would find it...but I now the mxt will never find it... been there done that................................I would love to see a v3i or any mine lab do what the box loop and the 5900 can do because your talking some money laying in the ground all you have to do is find it...and believe me when i say there is copper a round here....One guy last year found a piece of copper with a Gemini box loop it weighed 12 tons he made over 50 grand on that piece of copper.... they find pieces like that up here pretty often it's nothen to find hundered pound er or larger....they found a piece of glacial float copper so big around here that they named a town after it... the town is called mass city between Ontenogen and Houghton...So dept is every thing on big object or small....that's my in put on things...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions