Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The perfect tool.A Drone with a infrared camera .

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Frank, best advice I could give would be to get a good gold detector and
teach him to hunt nuggets above ground, and to STAY THE HELL OUT OF
THOSE OLD MINES!!

Seriously, keep him out of those old mines..the risk just ain't worth it.

A number of decent gold-getters on the market. Any idea of the
budget?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Metal detecting on the dumps...yep. Inside the mines.....nope. Bad air, loose ceiling, interior shafts, etc. Just not worth it.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you don't know what a winze is you shouldn't go near a mine.

If you do know what a winze is you already know to stay away from abandoned mines.

If you first learn what a winze is while exploring around a mine it will sound something like this:

!! What the H.... .... .... ... . . . . . . . . . . thump*

Heavy Pans

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sort of like skydiving without the plane

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Mine exploring is like scuba diving. Buy the gear, do it yourself, you're taking a very large risk with your life. It's basically what I did to learn mine exploring. Like anything else, there's a safe way and a stupid way.

You go in with one flashlight all excited like a school kid, you'll die eventually. Look at the gear that Underground Mine Explorers wear on their channel. Full climbing gear. Helmets. Multiple light sources. Gas meter. Never go alone. Always take a pistol. Know how to perform self-rescue first aid. Understand survival techniques in the desert. Etc.

Had I heeded the advice and stayed out of mines, Period Six Mining wouldn't exist and we wouldn't be sitting on a not-so-small fortune.

Can it kill you? For sure. It's your choice to go into them for a measured risk at the end of the day.

I never use my Garrett ATX in the mines. Spending the time to learn the geology is more important. A GB2 is pretty good to have around though.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Never heard my uncle cuss until he almost dropped down the winze!

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looking for gold in tailing piles the oldtimers missed, some people use a Falcon MD20 Metal Detector
to cover larger areas you'd have to get a more expensive detector,
I've had the older Fisher goldbug-2 and White's GMT, I thought the goldbug did better in mineralized areas

and one from "ask Jeff" testing a contact zone with the falcon https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SsZd4vkwDVA

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i found a mine that had detectable gold in quartz veins. Problem is...it was an area where the tunnel was nearing the surface. Reality sets in once you have to start hammering away with a sledge and chisel and little bits of rock start falling off the ceiling. You can only break away so much material that way. Hammer drills and explosives are the next step...are you prepared to take the risks involved in actually hard rock mining? In my case, I chipped away the easy stuff, the rest is still there because I do not have the tools or knowledge to pursue it. Really wasn’t an aspect I considered when I first started going in mines. What happens if you actually find a seam of high grade ore...

Last edited:

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whew! When I first saw the title of this thread..."Mine Searching" ...My military brain took over and thought your son was going to be mine "Detecting", not gold searching! :sign12: LOL

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would be surprised how many people die each year in mines across the nation. I would learn from a person with alot of experience before considering exploring mines.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
All the good advice above about how dangerous it is to explore "old mines" is on the money!

There's another issue - ownership. Particularly after gold ran up to $1,800+/oz., abandoned claims were bought up and assessment work was done on many more. I'll hazard a guess that almost every "old mine" is owned by someone.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread