Mine the wreck sites

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Everyone who metal detects the 1715 wrecks know approximately where their remains lie. Everytime there is a weather front drifting up the coast, ya'll are seeking a cut.
To hell with the cuts, make your own cut. Indian Relic hunters have to dig a 4 foot deep x 4 foot square hole to screen for stone relics. Why not dig a similar hole in the vicinity of those wrecks at low tide. It's give you a added advantage of 48 inches in depth that you can scan in all directions. It's a pig in the poke but if a Reale popped up or Escudo then it'd be all worth it. In Nome, Alaska, they mine the beaches for gold. Digging a hole is a lot of work but one good find would make the day. I mentioned this years ago and some TH'ers didn't like it like its a trade secret. Has anyone tried this method of searching?:skullflag:

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In theory it is a great idea..its just the chances of hitting something in a 4x4 hole are slim..then take into account the labor required to make the hole and how many holes you would have to make to find one coin...not time efficient.

then again..I would rather be lucky than skilled.

scubatreasure

Aug 14, 2008
Trinity, florida
I've done it, many times...the problem is the walls keep collapsing in on themselves, and you're not allowed to put up a coffer's damn around your whole...so it's a very limited proposition, however, I find that within that box I get a nice soup kinda feel a thon going down and it gets very interesting feeling your way around 3 feet below the surface at a low tide situation in what otherwise would have been way underwater...It's a two man operation and best done with a probe and heavy duty hand held garden trowel...I found a floating chair at the local pool supply place that I use as a screen to check all the sand I pull out of the whole, and I usually don't just pick some random location to start...I wait till I get A hit on the detector then screen all the sand till I find what set it off then I just keep going...It waists a lot of time and energy and is totally a shot in the dark...but if you put yourself in a spot that is known for having a treasure ship near by...well...you never know what you're gunna find...
Limo Bob :icon_pirat:

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have many times, but not so much in low tide areas. Back in '96 I remember digging along C marker and other markers at high water mark after a cut that was producing cobs. After all the easy pickin's were found we would go back to that area and for days dig trenches by hand and shovel day and night till we found the black layer and walla the cobs would show up again, we found more that way than we did while the cut was actually happening. It was hard work but fun as all heck...we did the same thing at Chucks. Those were the days...before all this BS pumped in sand ruined most all of that.
I know some forum member/s may recall.
Again, much easier back in the day.

I have a great story about digging those trenches and helicopters with spot lights, damn that was a fun night.

Trez

Last edited:
OP
OP
FLauthor

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Those trenchs came in handy to duck into when the chopper came near with a spotlight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread