Minelab Coil excessive dont you think

ffordre4

Mar 30, 2009
Cibolo, TX
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Whites Spectrum V3i, and Explorer SE Pro
I have a question for all the experts out there:

I have been detecting for a little over a year, Do you know why minelab has so much cable to wrap around the shafts, is there a reason for the excess?
Why I ask is I clean my detector all the time whenever I go out and I can see wear and tear from constantly coiling around the shaft. Seems Minelab would run a little slack in the cable and attacch to the shaft so when you shorten to dive with it you dont have 12 ft of cable to wrap around 2FT of shaft.
Any thoughts?

Master Chief

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can always wrap extra coil around the shaft. But if the coil is too short your "SOL" aren't you.
If you use it in the same configuration use tie wraps or electrical tape to secure it. After all it is your detector make it comfortable for you.

::) ;D ::)

Ed D.

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the main reason the cable is that length is to bae able to hip mount the unit and have enough cable to swing freely while searching..H-Hing

OD_hunt

Aug 16, 2009
South Africa
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
Prairie Prowler said:
I think the main reason the cable is that length is to bae able to hip mount the unit and have enough cable to swing freely while searching..H-Hing

Ditto. Imagine you pay big dollar for a md with a short cable. In a year you want to try mount it on your hip/belly/walking frame :-\ and you have a limitation...

I also discourage the coiling of that cable around the shaft. Mine's got 2 or 3 flattened loops of cable zip tied to the shaft. And I often release and have the cable 'relax' as to avoid UV damage to certain sections of cable, to prevent it from getting brittle on the bended areas and for moving the 'stress points' on the bends of the cable. I work with a lot of cable every day and have seen the effects of a piece of cable being wound into small loops, straightened, wound, straightened, wound etc... It aint pretty as the individual cores inside begin to stretch as it is bent. When straightened out, some of these stretched cores bulge / scrunch up inside the multi-core cable. This will not be so evident in smaller cables as used in md's, but damage will be done quicker that way, compared to minimising the bends on the cable.

HH, OD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread