Minelab ctx 3030 headphones got left in the rain

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do they work?

Typically, most electronics can be saved. It is better (believe it or not) if they are completely drenched.

If any electronic item takes a swim, ASAP remove the battery or power source. Do not be tempted to attempt a power up. THIS IS CRUCIAL. I know it won't matter on your headphones, but it applies to most other things.

With the power removed, open the device and wash it out with deionized/distilled water. You want to remove any minerals left by the dirty water. It is the minerals that cause corrosion and shorts since stuff like salt are very common. Rinse and rinse a lot!!!!

Once completely cleaned out, place the item onto a towel and put it into a warm window in sunlight for a few days. You want it completely dry before assembling it.

Once dry, inspect for corrosion and put it back together. Typically, it will power up and work just fine at this point. I get a number of 2way radios brought into me after taking a swim. If they heed my advice and remove the battery instantly, I can save 9/10 radios. I've also seen it work on laptops, cellphones, pagers, etc.

Brad

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do they work?

Typically, most electronics can be saved. It is better (believe it or not) if they are completely drenched.

If any electronic item takes a swim, ASAP remove the battery or power source. Do not be tempted to attempt a power up. THIS IS CRUCIAL. I know it won't matter on your headphones, but it applies to most other things.

With the power removed, open the device and wash it out with deionized/distilled water. You want to remove any minerals left by the dirty water. It is the minerals that cause corrosion and shorts since stuff like salt are very common. Rinse and rinse a lot!!!!

Once completely cleaned out, place the item onto a towel and put it into a warm window in sunlight for a few days. You want it completely dry before assembling it.

Once dry, inspect for corrosion and put it back together. Typically, it will power up and work just fine at this point. I get a number of 2way radios brought into me after taking a swim. If they heed my advice and remove the battery instantly, I can save 9/10 radios. I've also seen it work on laptops, cellphones, pagers, etc.

Brad

I want to also add that you can place the wetted item in a bag of rice after powering down the device, removing batteries and any visible water for at least 24 hours, the rice is a natural desiccant (absorbs water) and will remove/absorb any remaining water/moisture that is in places you cannot get at to dry out.

I have used rice to dry out more than one expensive cell phone that has been dropped into water with great success, kids do the darndest things either by accident and sometimes just to see what will happen!!!

OP
OP
H

Hdubya

Mar 31, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: they are working!!! :-) :-) thank you to the both of you!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions