*Minelab Equinox 800 nail board test.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Good video. My etrac in ttf does just was well in iron, and we all know the rep etrac has for not being the fastest machine.

With me just needing a water detector, I may end up getting the 600. I have seen a couple of pretty good videos on the equinox, but the iron testing videos have not swayed me to go with the 800. I thought at detectival it was hitting on coins real close to the iron? I haven't seen that duplicated by another equinox video just yet.

I want to believe, trust me, just don't see it yet.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good video. My etrac in ttf does just was well in iron, and we all know the rep etrac has for not being the fastest machine.

With me just needing a water detector, I may end up getting the 600. I have seen a couple of pretty good videos on the equinox, but the iron testing videos have not swayed me to go with the 800. I thought at detectival it was hitting on coins real close to the iron? I haven't seen that duplicated by another equinox video just yet.

I agree, there is not much out there on recovery and thick iron performance. But be careful, if you are most interested in recovery speed and thick iron separation, need to really see a bakeoff between the 600 and the 800 as the 600 has a reduced recovery speed range (not just fewer settings) and the same with iron bias (reduced range and settings) at the maximum settings for each machine.

I think what you are paying mostly for is the wireless hardware that is included with the 800 (wireless headphones and WM08 module - at Minelab accessory prices, remember (lol) though we still don't know what those are yet).

I personally don't want to give up the 800's gold mode, not because I am a prospector, but because I want to use it as an additional tool in the toolkit for relic hunting (also mainly smaller mid-conductors, like gold) in mineralized soil. So I am going 800 all the way.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I agree, there is not much out there on recovery and thick iron performance. But be careful, if you are most interested in recovery speed and thick iron separation, need to really see a bakeoff between the 600 and the 800 as the 600 has a reduced recovery speed range (not just fewer settings) and the same with iron bias (reduced range and settings) at the maximum settings for each machine.

I think what you are paying mostly for is the wireless hardware that is included with the 800 (wireless headphones and WM08 module - at Minelab accessory prices, remember (lol) though we still don't know what those are yet).

I personally don't want to give up the 800's gold mode, not because I am a prospector, but because I want to use it as an additional tool in the toolkit for relic hunting (also mainly smaller mid-conductors, like gold) in mineralized soil. So I am going 800 all the way.
Good points, but if it isn't better on land than what I already have, I will use it the most in the water, and I don't know how much of an advantage that way one would have over the other. I am still going to watch some more videos before i pull the trigger. That's what I do with any purchase. I drive everyone crazy around me dissecting every detail of anything i go to buy. But it usually pays off, as I am satisfied once I do purchase something.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't let that particular test shown in video fool you. Equinox and Etrac not in the same league in iron trust me, goes,for CTX too.

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800

Tonight's video may change your mind.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so when I can see and handle another one in person, there is a possibility I may buy one. I'm also looking at getting another Tesoro Vaquero in a couple weeks or so. Since I do not go in the salt water, that part of the Equinox's capabilities is irrelevant for my detecting.

My detector would need to go deep in nail infested pit and pull out the non ferrous objects embedded with small bits of iron, and nails. Under a 10" coil at my sites we can have two non ferrous small objects and 4 or more pieces of iron under the coil at the same time.

Would either one of these machines nail the non ferrous tasty treats? Some of you guys are much better at the electronic "math" than I am.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't let that particular test shown in video fool you. Equinox and Etrac not in the same league in iron trust me, goes,for CTX too.

You can say that. I suspect it, but will not say it outright because I own neither detector.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I just saw a video from dirtfishing. He buried a penny 9 1/2 inches, and it got it to hit on it no problem. The vdi was pretty accurate as well, bounced some but not too bad. Definitely a diggable signal.

I know alot of detectors that can't detect that coin at that depth, and some that can, you can't really tell by sound or vdi what it is. The etrac and ctx can, and this one did it.

Now lets see this thing work in iron.......

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Thanks for posting this. Watched the video. First off, good job on going thru all those settings. This video provided alot of data. Now as far as impressions of the equinox in iron, this really didn't woo me to the point of wanting it for its capability in iron. I would like to see how it does in the dirt going over similar targets buried. It may do better, it may be worse.

What will convince me is head to head comparisons of detectors. If it hits on targets that say a garret won't hit on, but an etrac or ctx will, or it hits on a target that is masked by iron that the etrac or ctx doesn't, I would go out and get it the same day.

A head to head with the deus would be good too. Don't have that machine, but it is a good one by what I've seen.

Again, I appreciate all the information this video provided. Its videos like this that helps us folks that haven't bought yet with that decision.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread