chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel a bit jaded when I hear talk of new releases.... but when I learned from another thread about the Minelab Equinox I have to admit to feeling a bit excited! An affordable multi frequency waterproof lightweight detector.
As I joked in another thread about Nokta claiming "you spoke- we listened".... it appears Nokta had selective hearing with the Impact! We waited a long time for the release. It appears to be a good detector though. Another new release - the AT max- also appears to be OK (not many videos to be found). But it doe raise the question about what 'NEW' really means.
Im going to follow the equinox release very closely. I started out way back with a XT17000 and a big ol SD2000 with the rubbish bin lid coil in the gold fields. I recently came across an old sovereign XS2 and couldnt understand Minelabs gap between the xterra range and the safari and excal.... the sovereign left a gap that was never really filled.
I really thought FTP would be announcing something this year with the price shuffle of the F75 and moving the F70 platform to the patriot.
I for one will buy the Equinox if it is anything like they describe.

As I questioned in another thread, what will other manufacturers do if minelab produce this machine at the same pricepoint as all the single frequency , non waterproof, heavy(ish) machines that have been newly released?

Chub

Upvote 0

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s all about capturing additional market share . Similar with Honda and Acura , Toyota and Lexus.
The folks that would spend $600-800 on a Garret or a Fisher are now intrigued by additional frequencies over a single frequency from a manufacturer who makes a $8000 specialty Gold detctor(GPZ 7000)

It’s kind of like if Lamborghini made a $25K sports car.

Cheers:thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s kind of like if Lamborghini made a $25K sports car.

Cheers[emoji106]

I would be intrigued, even more so if Ferrari did so.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

SteveOrygun

Apr 15, 2017
Orygunistan
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Born 4/17..
Fisher CZ3d W/Nasa Tom tune!
Whites V3i.... WOW!!😎
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Release Date....

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be intrigued, even more so if Ferrari did so.

You are correct on the higher value of Ferrari however I was not trying to use the most expensive metal detctor manufacturer as an example and that’s why I went with a Lamourghini ;)

The most expensive Lamborghini ever sold at auction was a Miura that went for about $2.5 million. The most expensive Ferrari is also the most expensive car, a $38 million GTO. ... But the reality is that Ferrari both retains and gains value much better than Lamborghini.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't want to have to pay to repair either of them. Even normal maintenance is ridiculous.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct on the higher value of Ferrari however I was not trying to use the most expensive metal detctor manufacturer as an example and that’s why I went with a Lamourghini ;)

The most expensive Lamborghini ever sold at auction was a Miura that went for about $2.5 million. The most expensive Ferrari is also the most expensive car, a $38 million GTO. ... But the reality is that Ferrari both retains and gains value much better than Lamborghini.
Oh I know, I referenced Ferrari only because I use to have to go to a Ferrari dealership to work on their phones and Data Systems and I would check the cars out while I was there.

I drive a custom 2006 Miata and I am very happy with it, it is the 2nd Miata I have owned.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't want to have to pay to repair either of them. Even normal maintenance is ridiculous.
I know what you mean, the fuel cap with Ferrari logo was $1550 if you had to replace it.

seascene

Feb 14, 2015
Sailboat coastal British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Presently Anfibio Muliti. Sold my MXT sport, TDI pro and Macro Gold Racer Just got April 2023 Deus 2 and Cscope 4 Pi (England made)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But how is the Nokta velox marketed and sold as a beach machine? The Racer 2 also does well at the beach. Can't seem to find a satisfactory explanation for these 2 single frequency machines doing well in wet sand.

Chub

Just newly using a Macro Gold Racer and I have been pulling coins and a ring out of both salt and freshwater... one coin down at least 10 inches. Dig or not dig decisions, flipping between disc 2 and all metal really helps. In some cases all metal would give an array of readouts and then switching to disc 2 gives off "iron" sound. After digging a few of these signals I found disc 2 was right every time so far. I am new at this machine ...but so far, so good.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lamborghini cost of ownership is not be taken lightly. The Murcielago will run you about $2000 for an oil change, $4000 for plugs and the best part $12000 for an E-Gear Clutch

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's going to be incredibly difficult to produce a better water & beach machine then the Excal. I just don't see it happening anytime soon despite all of the typical pre-release hype. Several have tried and none have managed it yet.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's going to be incredibly difficult to produce a better water & beach machine then the Excal. ....Several have tried and none have managed it yet.

If anyone can do it it’s MINELAB the makers of Excal. Technology has improved tremendously since Excal was first introduced in 1993 that was when Motorola first introduced the “non brick” personal cell phone . We will just have to wait and see what Minelabs answer to XP DEUS and Garrett’s AT MAXX waterproof just looks like.:dontknow:
DEA06679-91E9-4294-ADB5-E9604CBD6E62.jpeg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's going to be incredibly difficult to produce a better water & beach machine then the Excal. I just don't see it happening anytime soon despite all of the typical pre-release hype. Several have tried and none have managed it yet.

Minelab can certainly improve the design however. All the aftermarket mods being done should give them a clue as to what we want.........easily swappable coils and headphones, a straight shaft, a pin point switch on the handle, etc..........

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
No definitive release date yet that I've heard. The only thing was on the video when the rep said end of this year early next. I want them to get it right and not rush it personally. Too early a release with issues would paint it in a bad light, at least for me it would.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone can do it it’s MINELAB the makers of Excal. Technology has improved tremendously since Excal was first introduced in 1993 that was when Motorola first introduced the “non brick” personal cell phone . We will just have to wait and see what Minelabs answer to XP DEUS and Garrett’s AT MAXX waterproof just looks like.:dontknow:
View attachment 1503896

Competing with these machines should be easy enough, but when it comes to the Excal there's only so much power at their disposal. Also, Minelab owns that technology and why compete with yourself? If they were going to do that they would have done it with the CTX.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm keeping an eye on the Equinox 800. I'm wondering if this model will be suited for relics. I had been thinking on the Safari, but I like what I've heard on the Equinox so far. Like everyone else, I'm eagerly awaiting it's release and more detailed information on this new model.

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm keeping an eye on the Equinox 800. I'm wondering if this model will be suited for relics. I had been thinking on the Safari, but I like what I've heard on the Equinox so far. Like everyone else, I'm eagerly awaiting it's release and more detailed information on this new model.

The equinox sounds incredible, but I own the safari and I swear by that thing. It’s not that I’ve found a whole lot of great stuff (I haven’t - I’m not as active as I could be with it) but the machine itself teaches you what you are on by sound. But as all hobby people go, I too, am anxiously awaiting the release. I also want to hear reviews first, which I’m sure will be nothing short of amazing.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You ready for this? I got to actually see and swing one of these. For real. Interesting machine. And I got to talk to some people who were actually at Detectival in the UK recently. Here's what I saw and gathered. Overall, some people got some very good items at this hunt in England. Some did not. Pretty much all brands of machines were represented. One of the Minelab guys suggested the Equinox goes deeper than the Deus. So much for the hearsay.

I did not actually detect with the Equinox. They aren't having old cats just run off with one for a test spin! Let me make that clear. On a positive note, it is much lighter than the heavy armor Minelab has been producing over the years. That will help a lot. The coil that comes with it is fairly large. It is going to be interesting to see if it can find tiny items. I have found with other brands, the bigger the coil, the less likely you will find a 22 bullet down a few inches, while you will find one with a smaller coil. We shall see.

It has a straight shaft. When I swung the machine, it was, uh, odd. Maybe that's how to put it. Of course, I did not have the opportunity to shorten or lengthen the shaft, if that can be done, and did not use it long. The "swing" didn't have a good balance, in my opinion. The arm cuff slapped against my arm. I was told it weighs 2.9 pounds.

Meter was easy enough to read. That's a plus. Good underwater to 10 feet, as I was told.

So first impression, at the price they are offering it will be a challenge to the F75 and the AT Pro, as well as some of the other mid line machines out there. With the straight shaft, I'm not sure if they were thinking more of an underwater machine, especially with the big coil, or what. Big coil in thick woods or brush will be a challenge.

Even with multi frequency, I'm not sure how it will do with the horrible Virginia red soil. I just don't know. In moderate soil, or sandy soil I see no issues at all. Hot rocks, who knows? Iron patch, only one way to find out. Underwater I would assume be fine as Minelab does produce good underwater machines.

So here's the bottom line: If you are already thinking of upgrading from a turn on and go machine, this machine will probably be a good bet. Will it beat everything out there? Probably not. Having a decent site to dig and YOUR skills plays as much into detecting as which machine or machines you have. If you like having a LOT of machines, adding one more won't hurt at all.

Now there is some talk as to whether it will be better than the XP Deus. This answer isn't REALLY sideways, but it's yes and no. If you don't water hunt, that feature won't help. It weighs about 1 pound more than a Deus. That can make a difference on a long hunt. The 800 model goes up to 40 khz while the Deus to, I think 78 khz. The higher frequency on the Deus IN SOME CASES will help. I have been scarfing up gold with the Deus HF coil in the higher frequency ranges. Lots of gold. And deep coins and buttons.

Will I buy one? Don't know. I already have two perfectly good machines. They are finding LOTS of good things. Both of them. Tesoro Cibola and an XP Deus.

I will try out the Equinox if possible when they are available, but these days, will not buy any machine before I can test drive it. Just some observations.

Last edited:

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a buyer of foreign machines, but just based on the features I have a hard time seeing the Equinox not beating the Deus. I like the ability to choose single frequencies or run simultaneously. It's why I chose the V3i. If the Deus can run 78 to the Equinox's 40, I don't see it mattering much to the average hunter. A little harder hit on minuscule gold would be about the only advantage. Would probably be imperceptible. I personally have never cared for wireless everything either. More chargers and hardwired batteries to replace later on. I do feel sorry for Garrett AT users and MX Sport users like myself though. The Equinox will have a distinct advantage in the waters. Garrett and Whites missed a golden opportunity here.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel fairly confident that the other detector manufacturers are developing new detectors to compete. The Equinox might make them go back to the drawing board though! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions