Minelab Excal vs Whites

whiteriver23

Mar 3, 2010
Bull Shoals, AR
Detector(s) used
MXT - BHID 300
OK - so I'm a 73 yr old MD'er looking for a good fresh & saltwater machine.
Had a Whites BHID 300 and loved it until it was stolen so, now I'm searching for
a replacement. Only used the 300 in freshwater & had lots of finds but, I'm seeing
a lot of good comments about the Minelab Excal with the exception of the knobs
falling off and a few comments about the learning curve. Definitely don't want to
go the PI route since I don't look forward to digging really deep holes for bobby
pins. Seen a few negatives about Minelab service being slow and expensive. The
one plus I had with Whites on my BHID 300 and my MXT was good service and quick
turnaround. I've also thought about a Sand Shark and a Tiger Shark since the
two combined would be about what a Excal would cost. The more I research
the more confused I get. If anybody has had some experience with the Minelab,
or the Shark detectors I'd surely appreciate you comments. I expect to head
to the Texas gulf this winter for some beach hunting.

Thanks
JP

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
whiteriver23

whiteriver23

Mar 3, 2010
Bull Shoals, AR
Detector(s) used
MXT - BHID 300
After reading and re-reading all ya'lls thoughtfull remarks I'll be calling Kellyco
next week and get an Excal on the way. Figure I'll spend some time this
fall on freshwater beaches to see if I can learn the tones for aluminum
first and go from them. Before anything though, I'll be searching out
some knobs with set screws and a spare battery pack. Also, I caught
the remark about the shaft in the hands of a 73 yr old being heavy so,
I'll tackle that one after I get to swinging and see how it feels. I've already
got a chest harness and my "stealth" scoop but, it seems like I need to
grow a third arm!

Thanks again for all the help, looking forward to more good stuff on
"Treasurenet"

JP

OP
OP
whiteriver23

whiteriver23

Mar 3, 2010
Bull Shoals, AR
Detector(s) used
MXT - BHID 300
Oh, I forgot to ask if anyone has tried the travel handle for the "stealth scoop"?
It's a little expensive but looks to be lighter than the wood handle.
JP

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading and re-reading all ya'lls thoughtfull remarks I'll be calling Kellyco
next week and get an Excal on the way. JP

Before you do that, do THIS.... Go look at thier prices, and look at the "freebies" they include in that cost. Now call one of the sponsors (like BigBoys) and ask then for thier best price on an Excal and then ask them about accessories.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A straight shaft gives you more beach coverage since you can reach farther out to both sides on your sweep, if your sweep is wider your covering more beach per sweep with less steeps...

That's one of the reasons why I made my custom fitted/adjustable straight shaft. However, I still prefer to go with the chest mount and nearly "zero" swinging weight. Also, with the chest mount everything is right in front of me, I can even adjust the settings without ever pausing my swinging motion and I can go from sunup to sundown and beyond with no hand/arm/wrist fatigue at all.

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Does anyone make a straight shaft for sea hunter that will let you cover more area like the one for excal?
Dan

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a reason Minelab has been able to get away with high prices, poor quality and poor service on the Excal and that is because in the right application it is a phenomenal machine and hard to beat. In fact in a trashy salt water environment it does not seem to have been beat yet. The more experienced Excal water hunters simply own multiple units to get around the problems you are hearing about. Some of the guys on this forum are very experienced in this field and are giving you priceless advice based on years of experience for free (e.g. BCNJ). Again, the advice is priceless if your are serious about water and beach hunting.
High prices, poor quality and poor service...own mutiple units because they break down so often...this might be the funniest thing Ive ever read on here. With these issues there is no way you could get me to buy an Excal. I keep talking to people that are using CZs and say they used Excalls in the past and will never go back. One guy said he wouldnt take two new Excals for the CZ21 he was using, and he had been a longtime Excal user.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just what I needed to read, as if I wasn't confused enough before!

You have to make your own choices and can't rely on what everyone says. I love my excal, others love thier, some wouldnt use one if was given to them for free. It's no different than Ford vs Chevy vs BMW vs Kia, ad nasuem.

Read why people love what they use, and find out if they have ever used other brands.
Read why people hate certain brands and then find if they have ever even used that brand.

Some people like to complain about things just to be part of a group even though they have zero experience with it.
Don't listen to second and third hand stories. If it's not from the horse's mouth it's worthless.

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Primary Interest:
Whiteriver23, here are pics of the rig i was telling u about. I have rope connected with swivel clips, and brass orings connected near top and bottom of sand scoop wood handle. I throw the rope connected to scoop over my shoulder and let my shoulder carry the weight. The rope connected to brass oring on the arm cuff- i loop rope around my digger pouch belt. I rap it around belt a few times cause it is too long. I'll make it shorter before next trip to beach. I connect brass swivel clips to oring on arm cuff. This way i can let go of detector and let it hang there while i scoop. Let me know if you want a rig like this and I'll be happy to make you one and send it to ya.

2012-09-09 21.44.38.jpg

2012-09-09 21.38.44.jpg

2012-09-09 21.38.07.jpg

2012-09-09 21.44.21.jpg

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GCM.... if you are including the scoop and detector i want one too :occasion14: Hows the balance on that machine? I ask that because you know they now sell extensions to get the box farther back on the shaft. I use a dive belt to hook mine onto.

Dew

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Primary Interest:
Thanks. Dewcon4414, are u talking about the nice blue anderson shaft? i want one of those

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No i was talking about the add on you can do to the S shaft..... but given my choice id jump all over the straight shaft. You just cant beat a straight shaft.

Dew

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned 3 excals, still own 2, none were bought so if 1 broke down I had a spare. 1 excal has wot coil other has sef 12x15 inch coil. I have extra one for when family or friends visit. In almost 6 years of the 3 I have owned only 1 went into repair, sent it in twice, once for bad wire in headphone other for when I dropped it and cracked coil.I would not hesitate for a second to buy another minelab, heck I own 4 at the moment.I suggest you buy a good used excal and save maybe $400-$600....

90% of people complaining about minelab customer service wait until the height of hunting season to get a repair done, then complain when told it is a 3 week turn around. I have read post after post on where they had problem, but waited till late spring/early summer or 2 weeks before vacation before sending it in. Next complaint is Minelab want do a rush, sorry but why should your repair go in front of my repair when I sent mine in before you. Get in line, why should you be able to pay a little extra to jump in front of someone else.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No i was talking about the add on you can do to the S shaft..... but given my choice id jump all over the straight shaft. You just cant beat a straight shaft.

Dew

You would think they'd just start producing them with a straight shaft?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would think for what they charge for a new vehicle it would include a full size spare tire too.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excal is primarily a diving detector, it is the owners who have modified it for beach use. The stock shafts are not really designed for land which is why we build our own straight shafts...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions