Minelab Explorer II Differentiating Between Targets of Similar Conductivity.

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi All ! :hello:

I was re-reading my November, 2003 issue of Lost Treasure magazine and starting on page 25 Andy Sabisch authors a Field Test report on the Minelab Explorer II. Statements he made on page 26 in the upper part of the far-left column caught my eye !

Andy stated (paraphrasing) by combining the conductivity of a target with it's inductance or ferrous value, the ability to differentiate (synonymous with discriminate.) similar targets such as a gold ring and a pull tab can be achieved.

He also stated the following in that same upper part of the far-left column, which he obviously thought was true at that time, however, with technological advancements in the last ~16 years and foreign competition, might not be true today, (again, the following is paraphrased.) This two-dimensional SmartFind discrimination is only found on the MineLab Explorer series.

Now, with the above being said, my question to previous and current users of the MineLab Explorer Series metal detectors is "In your actual field experience with a MineLab Series detector have you been able to find gold targets while simultaneously discriminating pull tabs and I'll add the more modern stay tabs ?"

Thanks,
ToddB64

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, you have to dig all non-ferrous to find gold. I don't know any machine that can tell gold from non-ferrous trash with any degree of certainty.....at least, out in the real world, and not the lab.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
If it's in the same hole, you'll have to dig ferrous as well! If this was easy, everyone would do it.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cudamark and xr7ator are both correct. No magic wand for MD'ing has been invented yet.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run my X2 in PP mode almost always anymore.

Trying to listen and decide to dig or not takes just as long in the end as if I had already scooped and looked... and depth is never compromised.

I have found that the "easier" way has never been a "better" way.

Another key is... a good scoop and knowing how to use it efficiently... this also evens out the BS time.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with what's been said. Another variable, IMO, is how the ring is positioned in the ground since it will affect the conductivity reading as does the size of the ring and the karat number. The pull tabs I dig also show a pretty wide conductivity value range depending on if the ring is bent or missing the beavertail. So like AARC said, "dig it!"

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to all who replied so far. ;D

My conclusion, based on years of reading posts related to finding gold jewelry and your replies, is that with some exceptions we have to dig-it-all to find gold !

digger27 has also made a generous contribution with his previous posts explaining the subtle audio characteristics of gold jewelry.

HH...….ToddB64

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use the Minelab Explorer II and SE, both great machines, but you cannot differentiate between those two targets. You have to dig all signals in the area...I wish there was another way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions