Minelab Explorer II

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
I have a spot that I have almost wiped out for civil war relics. However, there are a few areas where square nails are found everywhere. I slowed down and found a few buttons. I have also taken out over 15 half dimes from this field. My question is, anyone have any idea how I can go over these areas with the Minelab. In other words any ideas on the settings I should use in this infested area. I know there are more coins in there amongst the square nails but the ground is just alive.

Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
first thing i would do would be to put a 5" coil on it and work real slow. the 5" coil can get in between the trash better. i would use as little discrim as possible with ferrous tones on, and really really go slow. thats about the only way i can think of to approach a situation like that.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You can try the 5" coil as jhetell says. But if depth is an issue, this may present a problem, as the 5" will not get as deep as the 10" coil. If depth is an issue, make sure your recovery speed is on "fast", and deep is "off". IMHO those things don't really decrease depth. They merely make your beep faster (ie.: recovery faster). So you still essentially hear the same thing, but you have to listen more carefully lest you miss the "blip". When recovery speed is slower, some manuals or people will tell you that you go deeper. But I believe it is merely that you are more prone to hear the target, if it is drawn out longer, thus the feeling that you are going deeper. I have tested fast vs slow recovery, and don't feel I loose depth, if I am careful to hear the quicker beeps. The quicker beeps translate to better ability to ferret between targets, IMHO.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try digging one of those square nails. Run it over the coil and set the reading to be rejected. See the manual for instructions. You can make it a small or large rejection. Then detect away. You should not find any square nails. You can save it as an S1,2,3. then you can recall it. Another way is to run the iron discrimination up until you reject the nail then try detecting. Also rejecting nails in the options menu may work.

Ed D.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I know this is not what you want to hear but if you want to get everything you are going to have to go all metal and dig it all. If you set up any type of discrimination pattern when the machine nulls on a discriminated object you also might be missing a good target right next to it. If I found such a place to hunt I would grid it, go all metal and dig every signal

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000
I agree with Erikk. 15 half dimes. I would say there has got to be gold coins mixed in. Dig everything till you hunt and your detector is totaly still. Great field ,good luck Mike.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
erikk said:
I know this is not what you want to hear but if you want to get everything you are going to have to go all metal and dig it all. If you set up any type of discrimination pattern when the machine nulls on a discriminated object you also might be missing a good target right next to it. If I found such a place to hunt I would grid it, go all metal and dig every signal
And second thought, after I did that with the stock coil I would do it again with a WOT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread