Minelab Explorer SE ot Nautilus DMC-IIBa for Relics

Whippetdog

Sep 19, 2005
Newport News, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Ace 250, Vibra-Probe 560
Cooments on why which one would be best for relics. I currently own a Minelab SE and have had decent finds with it, but am getting disappointed with the Nulling and losing threshold on it. I am sure I am losing some finds. I use Iron Mask, all metal, and factory , as well as some of my own disc patterns trying to fix the nulling and lost of thresh hold.

I also know that there are probably some settings and actions I could do to correct the SE, but I have also read great things about the Nautilus.

My main targets are minnuies, artillery, buttons etc. Don't do much coin shooting.

Thanks for your opinions :thumbsup:

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tried almost everything made since the late 60's
Well the main advantage to the Nautilus is that it doesn't null anything. It picks up all metal, and then you can determine how the all metal relates to the disc as to whether you want to dig it or not. You will dig more trash with it, but with that comes more treasure. As you probably already know, it's made for relics. Hot on lead and brass.

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
You can do the same thing with the SE, just lower the IM all the way down.

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Huh, I wasn't aware that the Explorer had all metal running in one ear and disc in the other like the Nautilus, but if it does it does. I'll have to get one then.

EARTHLING

Aug 17, 2008
DALLAS TEXAS
Detector(s) used
SHADOW x5.... GOLDTRAX... D.P. WADER.... NAUTILUS DMC II B
the only problem is is that the explorer is a VERY SLOW hunting machine and the nautilus IS a relic hunter that will cover 10 times the ground and do it as good if not better..... if you want to hunt at GRANDPAS pace use an explorer.....

PS........ get a IIb not a IIba .... it only takes 20 SEC longer to adjust the coil and in the long run you will have more control with the IIb

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EARTHLING said:
the only problem is is that the explorer is a VERY SLOW hunting machine and the nautilus IS a relic hunter that will cover 10 times the ground and do it as good if not better..... if you want to hunt at GRANDPAS pace use an explorer.....

PS........ get a IIb not a IIba .... it only takes 20 SEC longer to adjust the coil and in the long run you will have more control with the IIb

10 times the ground? I'd love to have some of that nice clean ground with lots of relics! :thumbsup:

Curious how many hours you have on an Explorer. Let me guess... None! Year after year people knock the explorer as not being a good relic detector which is such a joke to those of us who know what it can do.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shenandoah Digger said:
Well the main advantage to the Nautilus is that it doesn't null anything. It picks up all metal, and then you can determine how the all metal relates to the disc as to whether you want to dig it or not. You will dig more trash with it, but with that comes more treasure. As you probably already know, it's made for relics. Hot on lead and brass.

With very low Disc. the Explorer lets you hear a lot that's going on, just knocks out min. iron. The thing is you gotta know how to use it and anyone who takes 3 foot sweeps in a concentration of iron doesn't really know what they are doing. Of course the detector will null too much for those who rely on the machine to do the finding and not their ears, probably a farly common problem.

As for the Nautilus it doesn't null but unless I was using a small coil I'd probably prefer other detectors in heavy iron. Too much masking.

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
I don't find that it really masks at all. Two machines running at once. If you learn the machine and know it's sounds, you can detune over each target and determine if it's good or not. Takes a lot of practice though to get good with it, just like the Explorer.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shenandoah Digger said:
I don't find that it really masks at all. Two machines running at once. If you learn the machine and know it's sounds, you can detune over each target and determine if it's good or not. Takes a lot of practice though to get good with it, just like the Explorer.

I can believe that, and wish I could snap my fingers and know it well enough ro really see what it could do. But after so many years using the ploder and it working well, it's damn hard to grab anything else. Almost all my friends are Explorer users so I don't get to test many signals against other experienced users. Wish i could!

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
If the Explorer works good for you, why would you want to use anything else? I stick with my main machine, and then use others when I'm bored or not making good finds, just to break the boredom. All high end machines are good. It's just personal preference. I've only played around with the Explorer so I'm no good with it. It would take me a while to get up to speed on that detector.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shenandoah Digger said:
If the Explorer works good for you, why would you want to use anything else? I stick with my main machine, and then use others when I'm bored or not making good finds, just to break the boredom. All high end machines are good. It's just personal preference. I've only played around with the Explorer so I'm no good with it. It would take me a while to get up to speed on that detector.

I do stick with the Explorer and don't plan to change, but would if I could find something I thought worked better. I bought the IIB just for the heck of it to try, got a decent deal on a used machine with three coils so there was no risk in losing money. My one hope was the 15" coil would give me more depth than the explorer even being very new to the detector and not really knowing how to get the most out of it, but unfortunately it didn't work out that way. So it was either invest the time or go back to what i knew and waht worked, and that was the Explorer. I have zero doubt that had I used a IIB for 8 years and was handed an explorer I'd say no thanks.

On the subject of trying new detectors for fun I am this year, it will be an XP Goldmaxx Power and should arrive soon. Suppose to be great on small stuff in iron so we'll see. I had planned to by a backup this year so figured I'd just pick what looked interesting.

VaRelics

Mar 27, 2009
Take a close look at the Tejon. I have used IIb's for years and consider it a legand but I think theTejon is a better all around relic machine. (more enjoyable to use)

1.Ultra light
2.Very stable
3.Deep. comparable to Nautilus and explorer
4.Affordable
5.lifetime warranty
6.Enjoyable to use.
7. Most importantly they are very productive at finding all type of relics.

Best Regards,

VaRelics

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VaRelics said:
Take a close look at the Tejon. I have used IIb's for years and consider it a legand but I think theTejon is a better all around relic machine. (more enjoyable to use)

1.Ultra light
2.Very stable
3.Deep. comparable to Nautilus and explorer
4.Affordable
5.lifetime warranty
6.Enjoyable to use.
7. Most importantly they are very productive at finding all type of relics.

Best Regards,

VaRelics

But is the F-75 better? I seen a few of the biggest Tejon fans jumped ship.

I compared some real deep very small brass hits with an F-75 and the detector couldn't see them well enough to give diggable audio. The user of the F-75 was new so maybe that was why, we'll compare more at the end of the month when we hunt. (I was using my explorer XS)

VaRelics

Mar 27, 2009
All these machines are capable in their own way. I have never used the f-75 but solely based on the reviews from multiple forums and other places I have some worries about the new fisher labs quality control and customer service. While you cant rely on other people opinions as all fact you can get an over all impression of the strength's and weakness of a machine and the vibes I'm picking up for the f-75 are concerning. The Tejon on the other hand has no significant issues and the customer service at Tesoro is well known to be top notch. I don't think anyone disputes the fact that the tejon is a very capable relics machine. But to each his own! The main point of this is to enjoy your hobby. :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VaRelics said:
All these machines are capable in their own way. I have never used the f-75 but solely based on the reviews from multiple forums and other places I have some worries about the new fisher labs quality control and customer service. While you cant rely on other people opinions as all fact you can get an over all impression of the strength's and weakness of a machine and the vibes I'm picking up for the f-75 are concerning. The Tejon on the other hand has no significant issues and the customer service at Tesoro is well known to be top notch. I don't think anyone disputes the fact that the tejon is a very capable relics machine. But to each his own! The main point of this is to enjoy your hobby. :thumbsup:

If customer service was a major issue for me I would have done away with my Minelab a long time ago.

VaRelics

Mar 27, 2009
When you combine "Quality control" issues with "warranty" issues it's a bad sign about a company and the products it makes. Some people have had a good experience with the f-75 and it sounds like others have gone through hell and back. I think it comes down to luck of the drawl with the f-75 :sad5:

Best Regards,

VaRelics

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RigDean said:
now you've got me worried iron patch :-[

Worried... about Minelab? The detectors are a bit better now, all my problems were fairly early on after the Explorer release. The one thing that really put me over the edge was I sent the detector in for a new housing and without any contact they tell me my perfecting working detector had a bad board, changed it, and wanted over $300 for their effort. I told them to go #$@%@ themselves, got my detector back without paying, and have never dealt with them again. I have no doubt that company has screwed people over if that's how they tried to do me.

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
I can add my 2 cents from a new SE user who hunts relics. I am an avid F-75 user and have used the Tejon for a long time. I have also been using an Explorer SE. I think the explorer does awesome in relic hunting - comparing it to the F75 and Tejon, both of which I love. So far, I really don't notice or feel like it is nulling over anything, but I run it on very low discrimination if not all metal. I've made some nice deep finds in iron dumps just like I do with my F75. Actually, I'm suprised that a lot of the negative stuff I read about the SE as far as speed and target masking doesn't seem to ring true in the field. I'm still pretty new with the machine though.

Ian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread