minelab for gold nuggets

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If they are large enough, sure! Maybe a gram or more in hot ground?

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You should buy or borrow a gram nugget and see how it reacts.

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep in mind that smaller (1/10 gram down to flakes) are not additive to a metal detector. So if you find an ounce of flakes within a few inches of each other, unless you detector can see the individual flakes, you will miss them all.

I find quite a lot more instances of groupings of flakes, compared to the occasional 1+ gram nugget.

Keep in mind that almost any detector will react to black sand - I often run sources of black sand thru a sluice when I am in an area that has a history of gold (so, as long as you can ground balance your detector in an area, you can hunt for black sand and possibly end up with gold).

While a lot of people tell me that they don't want to dig individual flakes of gold - what they might not realize is that you may have encountered a pay streak that you should process in a more effective way than with a metal detector. I often find gold that is very small (My Gold Cube hangs on to these quite well) right next to the occasional flake that my GMT detects. You may be walking away from quite a lot of valuable gold that you could have had with a little more work (that does not use a detector).

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beats nuttn'-take the time to learn it good with a witness nugget glued on a poker chip. I use a 1/10 grammer but thats for a vlf machine GB2/TLST my favorites. Detectors are akin to women,one mans pleasure is anothers downfall. Beg,borrow and trade with folks on outings as a great way to rethink any and all machines in the field,where it counts as all air tests prove is that if your looking for nuggets in the air you'll find one---hahaha after 51 years of detecting I have yet to fine one in the blue sky bs-John

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Beats nuttn'-take the time to learn it good with a witness nugget glued on a poker chip. I use a 1/10 grammer but thats for a vlf machine GB2/TLST my favorites. Detectors are akin to women,one mans pleasure is anothers downfall. Beg,borrow and trade with folks on outings as a great way to rethink any and all machines in the field,where it counts as all air tests prove is that if your looking for nuggets in the air you'll find one---hahaha after 51 years of detecting I have yet to fine one in the blue sky bs-John

Great write-up John--chuck full of wisdom for those that are willing to listen.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread