Minelab GP 3500

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
AAR
I don't know what your knowledge about the GP 3500 is so excuse me if I tell you what you already know. The GP3500 is probably the deepest detector out there for small objects. You are also correct in that PIs such as the GP3500 handle bad ground extremely well. You probably know that the GP3500 is mainly used by prospectors seeking gold which is mainly in areas of bad ground. If you live in AZ and are into gold hunting- the ultimate detector.

However, the GP 3500 metal ID is rudimentary (Low/high and high/low) signals and most GP3500 gold hunters "dig it all". This is fine for remote desert areas with little iron trash such as in AZ, however it becomes a serious problem the more trashy an area gets. Gold hunters using the GP 3500 in Az are looking for depth only and iron ID to them is not that important as they "dig it all". A lot of smart people have used the GP3000 for relic hunting in bad ground with good results. Why the GP3500 is not a common relic machine is because the GP's lack the discrimination of conventional VLFs and the $3500 cost. I have heard people using them at the beach and for relic hunting, however for regular coin shooting no.

Dave Emery is coming out with his "Pulse Devil" - a PI with regular VLF discrimination, however who knows when it will be released? Probably not this year.

Good Luck
George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread