Minelab Machines interference Problems.

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Hi I have been using Minelab machines for about the last 15yrs or so. A problem with the later machine is they are more prone to interence hassles. Not only the machine but itself but also other items being used around them. A friend of mine bought a Detector pro pin pointer to use with his Etrac, I wanted one myself, but changed my mind when no matter what we tried we could not get the probe to run smoothly the machines just chattered to each other. We tried altering noise settings on the Etrac, different sensitivity settings etc also tried adjusting the frequency settings on the probe but no good. Yet on the Explorer2 it could be used with no problems but still took a bit of setting up but no big deal. I will stick to using my Sun ray inline probe with my Etrac.
I have used a GP4500 on the gold feilds but found I couldnt use my Garmin Etrex GPS with it. The 4500 would go crazy with interference. I have since been told that in using a GPS whilst operating the detector can do major damage to the circuitry of the 4500. So when you are out there relying on your GPS to take you back to your car, turn your detector off, GPS on get your bearings.Turn your GPS off and turn back on your detector. Mind you
make sure you are walking back in the right direction! Seeya Neilo :thumbsup:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thanks Neilo for the heads up on the GPS interferience with the Minelab detectors. I know some cell phones the yuppies use can cross talk but didn't think to check the Garmins against the detectors. Doesn't seem the Minelabs are the same since they have been sold.

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
I just got the Garrett Pro-pointer. So far so good with my Minelab Safari.
Donno about the GPS though

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neilo Hope you are well.

Did you find out what the trouble was with the interference? We are having much more broadcasts now with radio, TV, Cell phones and such that about anything can bother the detectors since they also send and receive. Wonder if TR's are any better......
Anyway it might help to read this http://detectorstuff.com/2009/08/05...ay-by-first-texas-lead-engineer-dave-johnson/ We might have to regress to dragging a magnet along behind us for those ones like in Canada. Hey, what ever works, right? :laughing7:

Explains about cell phones interfering with metal detectors.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used the DetectorPro Pocket probe, and still use the Detectorpro Uniprobe with my Sovereign GT, and I have no interference problems between them at all, none, zilch, nada.......

I am sure you are aware that you can adjust the freq of the probe to stop interference just like the freq shifter on the Fisher 1235X and Tesoro Conquistadors, at least I can on the uniprobe....

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes Neilo.
You are absolutely correct.
I share the same issues.
Nothing we can do about it other than constant tweaking of threshold and frequency on the probe.
But when it's working it's spot on.
I use the probe with my Etrac and explorer.

I can relate to your situation.

mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread