Minelab Musketeer Erratic Pinpointing

childoftechnology

May 7, 2005
I bought this Musketeer a few months ago, overall I'm quite pleased with its performance but lately I've had a bit of a problem. The pinpointing always worked great, but a few weeks ago it started acting up. It would lose the threshold after about 5 seconds or so, emitting only a steady beep. Didn't matter what the settings were or whether or not the coil was in motion. Funny thing is, it only does it certain times I'm hunting, and the change back or forth only seems to happen after transporting the machine. The discriminate mode always seems to work fine. As an electronic technician, the first thing that comes to my mind is cold solder, and my first instinct is to open it up and look for the bad connections.
But before I do, I need to know if this is the likely problem, or if I'd be better off sending it out for service. I'd rather not do that, because here in Canada that could take weeks or months and perhaps cost money. This unit does not have a "warranty void" sticker over any of the screwholes, so it's no problem to get it open without leaving any evidence.
I just need to know if this is a common problem on these units, and if there's any special precautions I should take if I attempt to service this myself.
Thanks for any advice.

R

rvbvetter

Not sure if it's like the old detectors. Where some of the batteries are for all metal mode and the other ones in the cartridge are for discriminate mode.
But you might check your battery pack for anything loose, or try another battery pack in it.. Good luck HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread