Minelab Musky advantage vs. Tesoro Cibola

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Hey folks, I have a Cibola and love it but am thinking of upgrading a little. Would the Musky be an improvement??? It appears to be a little more versatile and maybe deeper. Let me hear from those in the know!!! I may have to go with a Sov GT if I don't like what I hear!!! ;D
Thanks in advance.
Greg

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have a Cibola but I do have a Musky. I would say they are too close to be worth the switch. The Cibola is much lighter (almost by half!) and the Musky would likely handle various soils better with the manual ground balance. If you are a pure relic hunter the Musky might be a happy choice. It's a 5KHz transmitter and that hits the deeper low conductivity targets. It loves aluminum and will give good signals on some foil and twist-caps, but it also goes deep. If you are happy to dig all hits you will cover an area well with the Musky. The Musky has a vocabulary of dozens of sounds and, once you get familiar, it is almost a target ID method.

The pinpoint feature is a little akward, but with the DD coil I never bothered to use it and just located the target by "X"ing it. Much faster and just as accurate. You can also "back away" slowly from a signal and pinpoint with the tip of the coil very accurately.

I just added a Fisher F-75 to go along with my Musky and the coin-shooting abilities are much better. I was having an awful hard time deciding between the Sovereign GT with the add-on meter and the F-75, and I think I did good. I never thought a meter was a necessary feature until I spent these last three weeks watching it. I still think it becomes a "false prophet" on some signals, but about the time you've dug the 12th corroded shotshell base in a field it is nice to be able to say "I ain't diggin any more "45" TID targets" and move along to other hits.

OP
OP
gregl01

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Thanks Charlie, I'm wanting to try a different machine but I want to make sure it will be different!!!! I'm not overly impressed with TID and that little Musky looks like a winner. Just unsure of making a lateral change. Good luck with your F75- looks like a real nice unit!!
Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread