Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
All i can say Minelabs are always over priced... And you are going to have the Minelab cult makeing all kind of excuse's of why the Garrett beat the Minelab...... And none of there excuse's will will make any sense........

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My garrett pinpointer is a piece of shnit!! And everyone i know is having the same problem, it goes off for no reason. If you point it down it goes off and has you looking for something thats not even there. I wouldnt recommed a garrett to anyone who wanted a quality pinpointer!!

OP
OP
earthmansurfer

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
My garrett pinpointer is a piece of shnit!! And everyone i know is having the same problem, it goes off for no reason. If you point it down it goes off and has you looking for something thats not even there. I wouldnt recommed a garrett to anyone who wanted a quality pinpointer!!

Very insightful post. :icon_scratch:
I have never heard of what you are talking about and this is a Minelab Pro-Find thread. Nice Minelab Avatar you got there.

Interesting - Everyone you know has a Garrett pinpointer? Wow, that is a lot of pinpointers. eheheh

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was just answering keppy,,, i have 7 friends who have the garrett and we are all having he same problem,,,, maybe just a bad run of them.

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin, I have noticed on the garret pin-pointer that some people mash down on them pretty hard when trying to locate a target and after many time of this mashing or downward pressure that is when it starts acting like what you are talking about - I had one do that - I have another one and I never mash down on it and it is still like brand new and works great - I don't know - just want to offer that bit of info to be gentle with her and she might behave.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
I was just answering keppy,,, i have 7 friends who have the garrett and we are all having he same problem,,,, maybe just a bad run of them.

Can I buy few broken Garrets from you? Thanks

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Garrett has a 2 year warranty on them, they were all sent off this week. I have never dropped it, pushed down on it, or abused it. It looks new and it's almost a year old. I'm just guessing but I think they tried to make it too sensitive, but that's what a lot of people want I guess. I'm waiting on one to be made with iron discrimination!!!!

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Garrett pinpointer gets about 2" depth and falses alot. I got a Minelab pinpointer for free when I bought my CTX3030. I'm getting about 3" depth on the minelab pinpointer. Granted it's a slower ticking than the garrett but hey it works.

Btw I've worn my Garrett's tip to a 45deg angle checking holes with rocks in them. Also isn't the Minelab probe a differant frequency than the Garrett? Cause the Garrett causes my CTX to go nuts and the Minelab probe doesn't make it peep at all.

OP
OP
earthmansurfer

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
My Garrett pinpointer gets about 2" depth and falses alot. I got a Minelab pinpointer for free when I bought my CTX3030. I'm getting about 3" depth on the minelab pinpointer. Granted it's a slower ticking than the garrett but hey it works.

Btw I've worn my Garrett's tip to a 45deg angle checking holes with rocks in them. Also isn't the Minelab probe a differant frequency than the Garrett? Cause the Garrett causes my CTX to go nuts and the Minelab probe doesn't make it peep at all.

If you are getting 3" of depth, you should put that on video and post it, cause it sounds like Minelab might have improved on their pinpointer - really. That sounds great.

Both pinpointers are running at 12kHz (up as high as 14kHz I've hear), so they are basically the same there, though I hear the minelab is much more sensitive on small targets. The Minelab has that new technology to not interfere with detectors, but I believe that is when it is off, not on.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the Garrett and the Minelab pinpointers.... I think there isn't much difference in depth between the two, if there is it is slightly in favor of the Minelab but not enough to make a difference. As earthmansurfer stated the Minelab is more sensitive on smaller targets, which is a plus. But the biggest difference I can see is the interference issue with the pulse machines.... When the ProFind is off, the GPX runs much quieter and more stable - there is a definite improvement in that department.

Bottom line IMO.... If you are using a GPX or trying to find tiny targets (like fine flakes of gold), then get the Profind. If not, save the difference and get the Garrett.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread