Minelab ProFind 15 and 35 pin pointers!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why bother releasing two models when one of them is everything the other isn't? That doesn't make any sense

Because it was too expensive, did not detect small gold, and had poor range.

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Because it was too expensive, did not detect small gold, and had poor range.

I'm talking about the just-announced Pro-Finds 15 and 35. The 35 is waterproof and has dual tones, whereas the 15 has neither feature. It makes no sense to even come out with the 15, given all the features of the 35.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The sense is, saving $30 if you don't need waterproof/iron tones, whats the mystery here ?

They are competing with Garrett, who also have 2 models at different price points.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sense is, saving $30 if you don't need waterproof/iron tones, whats the mystery here ?

They are competing with Garrett, who also have 2 models at different price points.

It is my thought that once we see these new Minelab units on the market there will be very little competition where Garrett is concerned, only from Whites.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I fully understand what you are saying. Speaking for myself only, I've often found myself detecting in wet/muddy ground, or while detecting, I come upon a creek or something, having waterproof just comes in handy, I end up buying one anyway, so.....

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is my thought that once we see these new Minelab units on the market there will be very little competition where Garrett is concerned, only from Whites.

I seriously doubt that, Garretts have been out for a couple years, ML is playing catchup, the only thing they have on the carrot is iron audio [which I imagine they could easily implement in a carrot 2]

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great sensitivity is usually not desirable on a pinpointer - If it detects a penny at 3", it is not doing its job properly.
No doubt it will have adjustments to suit various preferences. I like to detect a penny at about 1".

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great sensitivity is usually not desirable on a pinpointer - If it detects a penny at 3", it is not doing its job properly.
No doubt it will have adjustments to suit various preferences. I like to detect a penny at about 1".
I'm with you on the 1" rule to a point. What I now do, is I carry two pinpointers, currently the Garrett black, and the Garrett orange, reason being, I'm lazy. I have the "carrot" set at max depth, after pinpointing with the detector, getting down on one knee, I can further pin point with the carrot, after digging my plug, if not finding the target, it is often off center somewhere in the hole, with the pointer set at max, I can't tell what side of the hole the target is in, yes, I CAN go through the adjustments to bring down the sen; and then go through the adj's again back to max, but after doing that time and again, it gets old, where as, I instead then switch over to the Garrett "black", and zero in on where or what side of the hole, it's a simple matter for me, and has worked really well. The new pin pointer with iron tone? that in itself could come in very handy I think, more so say like crawling under a porch without a detector or other tight places. Everybody comes to what works best for themselves, I would buy the new one, having the iron tone AND being waterproof, and keep the carrot in my rig for a spare, if someone I'm with should forget theirs or something.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a touch of the button and you can change the sensitivity. There are times when more depth is needed and then a touch to settle down to the final find. TRX and Minelab have this. Can you adjust your carrot to TRX depth??? The answer to that is no. My thought is that the Minelab and Whites are just more advanced in their technology than Garrett. I own them all and the Garrett's are in the backup section of my inventory.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I like (and bought) the TRX. It detects deep if necessary and only at the tip. The problem with the Garretts is that they detect all along the shaft too. Makes it more difficult to zero in on the target. I run the TRX at max sensitivity. I can always lift it and back off a bit if the signal is overwhelming.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with you on the 1" rule to a point. What I now do, is I carry two pinpointers, currently the Garrett black, and the Garrett orange, reason being, I'm lazy. I have the "carrot" set at max depth, after pinpointing with the detector, getting down on one knee, I can further pin point with the carrot, after digging my plug, if not finding the target, it is often off center somewhere in the hole, with the pointer set at max, I can't tell what side of the hole the target is in, yes, I CAN go through the adjustments to bring down the sen; and then go through the adj's again back to max, but after doing that time and again, it gets old, where as, I instead then switch over to the Garrett "black", and zero in on where or what side of the hole, it's a simple matter for me, and has worked really well. The new pin pointer with iron tone? that in itself could come in very handy I think, more so say like crawling under a porch without a detector or other tight places. Everybody comes to what works best for themselves, I would buy the new one, having the iron tone AND being waterproof, and keep the carrot in my rig for a spare, if someone I'm with should forget theirs or something.

Not a bad system, any time saved doing anything is a +
Button can be a pain as there is no good indication what setting it is on, I have rings and almost unconsciously I test it on the rings about every time I turn it on.

I'm not sure how handy an iron audio feature in a pinpointer would be for me, I think I'd tend to dig it out anyways being that close.
But doesn't hurt, I will likely get one as well and don't anticipate getting rid of the Carrot.
Not sure I like the look of the slim neck, alot of us tend to be aggressive with them and this could be a weak point, but that remains to be seen.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Think I am sticking with the carrot for now. Besides, I got to save up to buy the nox when it hits the shelves.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

brissietex

Oct 24, 2010
No retune like the carrot is a bummer. With retune, find iron, retune to omit iron and then find target. Besides my original profind was crap in saltwater. Reason i went with carrot subsequently besides waterproofing. I still like my original pocket uniprobe for depth but was a fragile beast.

Sent from my GT-I9195T using TreasureNet.com mobile app

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
To me, if I have gotten it narrowed down to the hole the target is in, I don't need a pinpointed that will discriminate. If I dig a piece of iron out with my target is no big deal. That iron might be masking something else and by getting it out, you may uncover another goodie. I have did that a few times actually.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still looks a bit fragile to me, I have used pinpointers where a long stem meets the body - And that is the weak point where they snap.
hope its not the case with this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread