Minelab Safari my BEST setup

cesarnono13

Jun 25, 2010
Azusa, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ace 250
Ok guys so after having my detector for about 3 months and hunting on average 4 days a week Ive become increasingly succesful at pinpointing and straying away from trash on parks and the beach by using specific coils for each one. for example on the beach I would definitely run the stock 10.5 or 11" coil whatever you want to call it.. for parks however, or any other sites where trash may be a problem I ALWAYS run the EXcelerator 5" DD coil. it gives me better depth and is small enough to pinpoint items whether there be iron next to your target or not. well, this is MY setup and how i run with the safari, the real pain the the butt is feeding the coil wires through the shaft everytime i switch them. I'm planing on getting a second shaft to just plug em in when i need it but because the bottom half is carbon fiber its rather expensive! anywhom, any thoughts? anyone else have a different setup?

Upvote 0

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post!!! I too am a new Safari user. You really hit the nail on the head with a few "issues" I am experiencing with the new detector. First...

YES!!! It is most certainly a pain to put together the Safari. Coming from my MXT 300 (best detector on the market IMHO), threading these Minelab's is quite cumbersome. I like the simplicity of just attaching a coil to the shaft and wrapping the cable around.

Second, pinpointing is definitely tricky AT BEST on my Safari. I am using the stock coil as well. If I didn't have my pinpointer I would be digging to China. The holes I dug on my MXT were quite small. However, on the Safari, I'm practically digging craters. I have to very choosy about where I hunt because of this :(

Third, the signals on the Safari are driving me up a wall. I am starting to figure them out, but, I feel like I'm listening to a flute playing orchestra half the time. Low tones I know are garbage and high tones are obviously good targets. However, sometimes I'll get 3 or 4 different tones ON ONE TARGET!

I have only been out with my machine roughly 8 hours now. It generally takes 50 to 60 hours just to get comfortable with ANY detector. So, we'll see how the situation shapes up soon.

Wish you luck on your new Safari. You'll need it like me :)

P.S. - I'd love to change the coil for different hunting areas, but, it's just too much of a pain. Really wish I didn't order the 8X6 Butterfly coil. I'll probably never use it.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I solved that problem by cutting off a wire coat hanger, straightening it and and bending a small open, hook like loop on one end. Now I simply slip the loop over the cable end, push it through the shaft and pull it on through very easily. I just throw the coat hanger tool in the bag with my detector or in a box with my other tools. No cost and works great. Monty

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cesarnono13 said:
Ok guys so after having my detector for about 3 months and hunting on average 4 days a week Ive become increasingly succesful at pinpointing and straying away from trash on parks and the beach by using specific coils for each one. for example on the beach I would definitely run the stock 10.5 or 11" coil whatever you want to call it.. for parks however, or any other sites where trash may be a problem I ALWAYS run the EXcelerator 5" DD coil. it gives me better depth and is small enough to pinpoint items whether there be iron next to your target or not. well, this is MY setup and how i run with the safari, the real pain the the butt is feeding the coil wires through the shaft everytime i switch them. I'm planing on getting a second shaft to just plug em in when i need it but because the bottom half is carbon fiber its rather expensive! anywhom, any thoughts? anyone else have a different setup?
When you decide to get a pin-pointer, go with an inline probe, such as the Sun-Ray x-1.
The way the probe is set up, the cord never has to go through the shaft again.
Making it a dream to switch coils.

Attachments

• PICT0034.JPG
    PICT0034.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 981
  • PICT0035.JPG
    PICT0035.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 1,186
OP
OP
cesarnono13

cesarnono13

Jun 25, 2010
Azusa, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ace 250
4-H said:
cesarnono13 said:
When you decide to get a pin-pointer, go with an inline probe, such as the Sun-Ray x-1.
see, that's exactly what i DONT want. I love that the cord is away from sight and hidden, and I always carry my pistol probe with me no matter what. I'm actually just threading the cord through the shaft with a piece of string tied to one end, same as the coat hanger method mentioned above, but as always having two coils ready to go in two different shatfs will always be the best solution. Plus having a probe attached to my machine is inefficient for me as I'm almost always out detecting with a partner, a detectorist and a digger. so If I detect something the digger can start digging and probing the hole while I continue detecting.. and that would be impossible If the probe was permanently attached to my detector such as the sun-ray..

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cesarnono13 said:
4-H said:
cesarnono13 said:
see, that's exactly what i DONT want. I love that the cord is away from sight and hidden, and I always carry my pistol probe with me no matter what. I'm actually just threading the cord through the shaft with a piece of string tied to one end, same as the coat hanger method mentioned above, but as always having two coils ready to go in two different shatfs will always be the best solution. Plus having a probe attached to my machine is inefficient for me as I'm almost always out detecting with a partner, a detectorist and a digger. so If I detect something the digger can start digging and probing the hole while I continue detecting.. and that would be impossible If the probe was permanently attached to my detector such as the sun-ray..
OK.
I was throwing some suggestions your way.
I own a pistol probe too and don't get me wrong, I love it.
But since I've tried the setup I have now, it works much better good for me.
The cord is actually out of the way. I took the photo to give folks an idea about what I was talking about. When the shaft is extended, it rides right by the side.
Sometimes when I'm in the bush it gets caught on branches occasionally but for the most part,(for me) it's the best way yet.
Take care
Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread