Minelab service, two machines, two service centers, two successes (so far)

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Had to send in my CTX which was falsing way to much. Timing for me was perfect, I was going out of town for a week so I wouldn't need it plus I had my Excal to use when I got back. I sent it in, took my trip and hadn't heard from Minelab....hmm so I start thinking about the whole process and the proverbial light bulb lit up.... I didn't put the RMA number on the box.... I nervously called to check on my machine expecting them to not know anything about it... but..... by the time I called, they had figured out who's detector it was and was told they were backed up with work, it would be a few days... those days passed and I got a call from the technician working on the machine and was told it was tested and no problems were found.... I then explained what it was doing to me in great detail (falsing in water and when bumped on the sand), he said that sounds like a bad coil so it was replaced. Total turn around time for me was just under 4 weeks and it did include a holiday weekend. Luckily I had a backup machine.

BUT

During the time the CTX was being repaired, my Excal was hot on gold...but started to go south on me... my headphones were falling apart and I was getting some static in them, kind of like a dirty pot or loose wire. Since my warranty time was near the end, I felt I should send it in to be looked at. So now knowing the routine, I called, got an RMA number, wrote a letter describing in detail EVERYTHING I thought was going wrong with the machine. I sent it in on a Friday and recieved it back the following Friday (no I didn't hit the lottery :laughing7:), but I do just happen to live in the same state the repairs were done in and that helped. When I talked to the technician, I feared getting my machine back, they had found some moisture at a pot seal when taking it apart so along with the pot seals, he replaced the control pod along with the headphones.

When I recieved the Excal, I quickly put the battery on it and turned it on.... NOTHING.... no sound what so ever when I put the headphones on... tried it again and again nothing.... thought the battery was dead so I checked with a meter, 13.6 volts .... so I tried it again and at that time I thought I heard something in the headphones... Well :BangHead: in my haste to check it out, I had the coil on the floor (nails) and the coil wire coiled up near and near the coil (swinging each time I touced the control pod).... the unit was nulling on the floor board nails.... Once I put it on the shaft and secured the coil wire, all went as expected... the unit worked....

Tested out both machines yesterday, both worked well, NO falsing on the CTX, sensitivity could be run in the mid 20's with no problems, ran in Auto +3 for about 4 hours smoothly.
Excal worked good, no apparent leaks in the control pod, still have a complaint about the headphone coiled wire length but that will stretch out in time.

Overall, I'm pleased with both repairs. I don't think I helped matters with the CTX repairs since I was in such a hurry to get it fixed, I didn't write the RMA number on the box and I didn't put in a letter explaining in detail what was wrong..... I highly suggest the letter being included with the machine. It helped with the excal repairs..... when the technician called me, stating what was done and he covered everything I had written plus what he found wrong.

Now I just hope they didn't tune out the gold signals......:laughing7:

Cliff

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Cliff! Good post!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread