Minelab Sov. GT Questions

Can U Dig It

Feb 21, 2013
Mays Landing, N.J.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I own a Minelab Sovereign GT. I’d be grateful if someone who has a good understanding and experience with the Sov. GT could answer a few questions.

1. My GT does not produce different tones for different coins. Quarters, dimes, and pennies sound exactly the same. The only coin that gives a different tone is a nickel. Is this normal for the GT?
I hunt with a friend who has an Explorer II and each coin gives a distinctly different tone. Is it because of the FBS extra frequencies or is my GT not working properly?

2. From reading forums, the Sovereign GT is a very desirable machine. Is BBS technology better than FBS even though FBS has more frequencies? If so why is it better? If not why is the Sov. Gt so desirable?

3. I do mostly relic and old coin hunting at historical places I research. I also do a little beach hunting. Which Minelab Detector in the same price range would be the best to handle both and have the same depth potential?

I know it’s a lot to ask so thank you in advance.

Upvote 0

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
The audible interphase is Minelabs original choice for good reason. The SGT 's strongpoint is its ability to ground balance and discriminate accurately.
Good targets are clear precise and unmistakable. That's really it.
I would think that with about a hundred hours or so you will easily be able to tell the difference between the tones it puts out. Maybe if you are musically trained it could be a lot sooner. The multi frequency applications (15?) may very well be a contributing factor to its sensitivity and clarity, I don't think the new Minelabs have been improved upon in that sense at all.
There are no distractions, Faint signals are miniaturized versions of clear ones so the "distance" serves as a depth indicator.
There is a definite subtle tone variation that distinguishes between denominations. All are instantly recognizable, (at least American coins anyway, bimetal coins can be detected by a very distinct silence in the threshold )

The simplest answer to your question is that the SGT capable of providing its user with a very clear accurate audible "picture" of the ground it is searching.
The silences in its threshold and the pitch variations in its signals are indicators of the quality of the area the user is searching.

From the perspective of an experienced user, the audible interphase (as apposed to the more visual one so popular today, ) may actually have a distinct advantage,
At the level of a man swinging an instrument over the ground searching for valuables, it is about as effective as it should be without all the distractions.
Search, detect, recognize (to an extent) then dig. That what the user should be doing over and over again.

Last edited:

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can U Dig it...

1. The Sov DOES give different tones, but not as you expect them (a fixed pitch for a particular object). The Sov is more... organic. The tones rise and fall with the object make up and proximity. The final top tone depends on the object, volume will tell depth. The tonal difference is subtle as el padron said. You need to learn it, or get a meter for it (I did).

2. What el padron said. Its reliable and accurate, even though its "old school".

3. I cannot answer this one as I am not familiar with the other Minelab machines.

Take the time to learn what your Sov is telling you, and if you feel it doesn't "fit" you, trade or buy different one.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. yes very hard to tell a tone difference between Quarters, dimes, and Copper pennies

it gets a little better.
after you get used to it you will be able to tell Zink & Indians from copper Linclons
but it is subtle.

as long as you can easily tell a can tab from a dime by tone it is working correctly

If everything sounds alike you have a Problem

2. in my expierence BBS has been more usefull with gold Jewelry then
FBS I think it's a Tonal difference ( when I test it,
gold seems to Thump on the Explorer instead of a Low Tone. so my ears may pass it by in real life situations
)

however FBS seems more Sensitive to very deep Silver

3 I can't answer that

Maybe the CTX but ,nobody gave me one to try :tongue3:
and way over priced to Buy imo

the only way to ever pay off the CTX is to live at a Popular Beach,
or get lucky like hitting the lottery.

I think BBS & FBS complement each other

BBS for Relic & Gold Jewelry hunting especially.
and it is no slouch on old coins.

however if you want to hunt Deep Deep old coins FBS

I do wonder what I miss with the FBS though being I haven't found any definite gold since I switched to the Explorer

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#3. I think the closest other Minelab model to the Sov would be the Excalibur. They share some common technology.

OP
OP
Can U Dig It

Can U Dig It

Feb 21, 2013
Mays Landing, N.J.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I want to thank you guys for taking the time to reply to my questions. You guys were very thorough which gave me a new perspective.
My buddy and I did lay down the 4 coins and we could not perceive any difference in tone except for the nickel. I'll have to try it again and listen more closely. I also noticed the type of tone the Explorer II makes is more of a musical note as opposed to the SGT change in pitch of the threshold buzz. There was a distinct different for each coin like pressing a different key on a piano for each one. I really liked that feature because they were so clearly different. But as el padron said the SGT is better at cutting out other distractions the ground might cause. So I have to decide whether the musical note tones that I like is worth dealing with the other distractions the SGT can eliminate. I understand what I'm dealing with now so it's a matter making a personal choice.
Just one more question. Is the SE Pro any better than the Explorer II as far as the basics; discrimination, eliminating those ground distractions, depth, target recognition. In other words the nuts and bolts of finding targets not the bells and whistles. And does it produce the same musical note type tones as the Explorer II. With that said, is there any reason to spend the extra money for an SE Pro?
Thanks again for sharing your expertise.

jcono

Aug 31, 2011
I also have a sov GT, and am still learning. Are you using stock headphones, or better ones like grey ghost or black widows? This can make a difference in noticing subtle tones.
At the moment, I am still using crappy ones, need to get good headphones myself.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#3. I think the closest other Minelab model to the Sov would be the Excalibur. They share some common technology.

yes they are both BBS

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had all 3 Explorer Models over the years.
the SE Pro is the only one I stuck with

the Explorer XS came at a time when I was too impressed with the Sovereign to give it a chance.

the Explorer ll was the first I noticed the amazing Depth silver dimes could be found

but again, every time I took it out, I wondered what I was missing Gold Wise
(too many settings to play with) & sold it too.

Then my Meter, & Coil Died at the same time on the Sovereign XS2 Pro,
and Minelab couldn't fix it to my liking because of age,
and let's just say I got an offer on the Explorer SE I couldn't refuse :laughing7:
and was forced to learn it & Like it, & I do

OP
OP
Can U Dig It

Can U Dig It

Feb 21, 2013
Mays Landing, N.J.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Guys I decided to give up on the Sov. GT. My hearing is not that good which is probably the problem. My buddy I hunt with has an Explorer II and I used his for a couple hours the other day and I like it better. So I bought a used Explorer II today and will be selling my Sov Gt. Its a shame because it is not even a year old. But the problem is solved. Thanks again for all your input.

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys I decided to give up on the Sov. GT. My hearing is not that good which is probably the problem. My buddy I hunt with has an Explorer II and I used his for a couple hours the other day and I like it better. So I bought a used Explorer II today and will be selling my Sov Gt. Its a shame because it is not even a year old. But the problem is solved. Thanks again for all your input.

PM sent about your SovGT.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions