Minelab Sovereign elite gives me a weird noise...

MrNelson

May 2, 2012
Fernandina Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So there I was out on the beach hunting away when all of a sudden my Elite went bonkers... literaly! The threshokd went from a high pitched, slightly audible "bzzzzz" to a very loud, low and constant tone "Burrrrrrrr". I wiggled the shaft and it went away. Figured it was a fluke, but then it continued to happen from time to time and now its constantly hapenning. I did notice that when it does happen if I fiddle with the connector from the coil to the control box it goes away for a bit, but after a few swings it returns. I cant hold the thing in place while i detect, so I wonder if there's a D.I.Y. fix for this being that I just got it and am ADDICTED to hunting now!!!! Seriously, I go hunting before work and after work since I work on the beach. Thanks in advance for the input.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
check & count the pins on the connector.
you may have a bent or Broken one.

OP
OP
MrNelson

MrNelson

May 2, 2012
Fernandina Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite
Primary Interest:
They're all there, just checked to be sure.. and yep.. all six are there.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only thing that ever made my sovereign go to a very loud, low and constant tone
was my battery.
the way you described yours as acting doesn't remind me of a battery though.

Maybe you got water in something

OP
OP
MrNelson

MrNelson

May 2, 2012
Fernandina Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite
Primary Interest:
never got it wet. kept it in its bag and hip mounted with the top closed... Im thinking its either the connector on the box that is loose or my coil....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First clean out the coil cover of any black sand. Then make sure it is fully charged with fresh batteries. On the coil plug where it goes into the coil, see if you move this and the noise either stops or changes. If this is the case, try another coil on the Sov.

OP
OP
MrNelson

MrNelson

May 2, 2012
Fernandina Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite
Primary Interest:
Cleaned the coil cover and coil, tried a fresh set of duracel's and a fresh charge on the battery pack and same issue last night. Only way to remedy it was to fiddle with the connector that goes into the Sov. I fiddled with the one on the coil and no fix.. I'm guessing i need to send it in to MineLab to have them fix the onboard connector on the Sovereign, but I dont even know if they will work on it.. I had so much fun last night at low tide but man I tell ya, every time i swung it would freak out. I had to hold the connector in place just to hunt. No Bueyno.. :sad1:

OP
OP
MrNelson

MrNelson

May 2, 2012
Fernandina Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite
Primary Interest:
issue fixed! female connector nut on inside of control box came undone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread