Minelab sovereign xs-2a problems?

rob3273

Greenie
Apr 25, 2010
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign xs 2a pro
Alright guys, I have a ?. You see what detector I have already. Last year I took it to the beach and it worked excellent, then in the fall I started noticing that my threshold would go crazy all the time(I run in all metal alot but just started happening last fall so I know it's not the sensitivity) nulling out and jumping around from low to high threshold. I just thought I was into some crazy ground around here. Wasn't really to bad and I was still finding coins. Well, I put it up for the winter and just started using it last week and it's just totally going crazy, it will still hit a coin but sometimes will give a coin signal and it will be cut off sound. I know its not the box because the guy I bought it off of had it sent to minelab before he sent it to me and gave me the paperwork showing everything is in good working order. So, I started wiggling the coil wire at the box and at the coil and it makes the sounds I was talking about even worse. I took the plug apart at the box and all solder connections were good and no wires touching, that led me to the coil wire at the coil end. I unscrewed that and the nut that screws onto the coil where the wire goes in has sand all up in it. Do you guys think that could be the problem? I haven't removed it yet and tried it, and what do you think the possiblity is that i've gotten water down inside the coil? Doesn't look like anything could get down in there but it sure did get sand around that nut. Sorry so long, but was just curious. Thanks

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a Techie However;

Salt Water Sand ?

Carrosion

Did you Count Your Pins on the Back of the Control Box ?

Did one Break Off ?

Nothing can get in the Coil.

Coil Cover ?

Sand could be in there.

or May be Bad Coil / or Coil Wire.

Meter ? May be Bad Meter or Wire

S1 Probe ? My be Bad Probe Box or wire.

Mine Did that I Had a Broken Pin
When I Sent it in They also cleaned alot of Carrosion Out.

About 8 Months Later Coil & Meter Went bad
& Maybe Probe Too.

Only way to be sure of anything is to send it in,
But Be Aware; if it's anything other then the control box

Odds are you'll get it back with an Excellent Control Box,
but Unfixed coil / meter.

Not a Putdown On Minelab.
Minelab Rocks :headbang:

but Coils & Meters for our older models must be purchased
elsewhere.

Good Luck !
Jeff

OP
OP
R

rob3273

Greenie
Apr 25, 2010
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign xs 2a pro
Thanks for the info Jeff, I don't use a coil cover. I think my best bet is to just get a new coil. Are the bbs 800's hard to come by? I love the 8" so much but looks like it might be hard to find one.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Never looked for an 8 :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread