minelab vs ??????

KINGPULLTAB

May 8, 2007
VALRICO FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 1000-QUATTRO-SE X-TERRA 70-ACE 250
LET ME FIRST SAY IM HAPPY WITH MINELAB---I HAVE A QUATTRO, X-TERRA 70 AND EXCALIBUR 1000---MY QUESTION IS, AM I BEING TO NARROW SIGHTED. I WANT WHAT MOST WANT, PIN POINTING SECOND TO NONE, GREAT DEPTH WHEN NEEDED, A BACK-LIGHT FOR NIGHT DETECTING, CRISP CLEAR TONES, AND WHEN YOU AQUIRE A TARGET IT STAYS WITH THAT TARGET TILL YOU WANT TO MOVE ON. I GETTING READY TO GO ON VACATION TO JAPAN, AND IM NOT SURE HOW MUCH TRASH THE BEACHES HAVE OVER THERE. IM LOOKING AT THE NEW FISHER F75 OR THE EXPLORER SE AS A BACK UP TO MY 1000---I WOULD TAKE MY QUATTRO BUT IT HAS A HARD TIME STAYING WITH 1 TARGET AND NO BACK LIGHT---ANY SUGGESTIONS????????

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I love my Explorer, I truly do... But on the flip side of that there are people that swear on the F75 being the best thing going right now.

Essentially your more than likely good to go either way you go. ;D

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my F-75 but I'd find someone who has used one at the beach before I'd commit. I have nothing like a beach hereabouts so it wasn't a consideration but that, especially the wet sand, is a very specific and tough test for detectors (I am lead to believe). The manual has tips for beach hunting but I haven't heard a first-hand report.

Now as far as a detector that "WHEN YOU AQUIRE A TARGET IT STAYS WITH THAT TARGET TILL YOU WANT TO MOVE ON." I'm not sure I follow. The F-75 will give consistant tone/TID on coins (vs. odder shaped trash) but it will tell you what is under the coil, and works best when you move the coil fast. So, if you're moving the coil it will look for more targets. YOU have to decide the order to dig the targets. It won't get a target lock like a Maverick missle. The F-75 is fast enough that if there are a cent, a nickel, a dime and a pulltab within a foot width along your sweep arc you'll get four hits (unless you have pulltabs discriminated out).

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I have an F75, EX2 and Excaliburs. If I were you I would go with the SE simply because if you are even considering beaches you wont be hampered with wet sand/dry sand or salt water. You can run it in all of them without any trouble.

OP
OP
KINGPULLTAB

KINGPULLTAB

May 8, 2007
VALRICO FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 1000-QUATTRO-SE X-TERRA 70-ACE 250
Thanks for all the help. If the wife turns her back ill try the new fisher. Nash ill send you the first thing i see that says made in the USA.

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
I'm guessing here, but maybe because everything we buy here says "Made in China"?

grizzly bare

Scott (Upstate NY)

Mar 24, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Classic III, Surf PI, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately "made in the USA" is not necessarily the best choice depending on your pursuits.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the exception of most of the more popular detectors, nearly all electronics are made in Japan. I wouldn't be surprise if many or most of the raw components that go into our USA made detectors isn't imported from Japan. I am seeing more and more "Made In China" labels on clothing and hardware. I remember that about the first twenty years after WWII the "Made In Japan" label meant junque and that seems to be where China is now, but improving. For years the only thing I saw made in Australia was Fosters beer! It would be interesting to know what else is made in Australia and imported elsewhere. I know they raise a lot of cattle and sheep and so there is beef, mutton and wool, but what else? Oh, Minelab of course! Not trying to be funny, just an observation. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread