Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They are Both good! No Great machines.
You have to tell me more about where you live and what you may like to explore hunting for.
I sell a lot of the 705's to the law enforcement guys and people on t-net.
I also get large orders fore the Safari.
MMS

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an Xterra and previously owned a Tesoro Cortes, and a Whites XLT. By far the Xterra is my favorite of the three. Its light weight, has great visual pinpointing, and tone identification as well as on-screen TID. Settings are quick and easy to change. Can't say I've found things at great depths but that may not the the detector's issue.

paulallen1978

Mar 13, 2010
Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
I just started getting into metal detecting last fall, and I've been out about a dozen or so times. The Xterra 705 is my first machine. I am still in the learning phase, but I have to say that I LOVE this machine! It has so many cool features. There are a good number of search coils you can use, very good ground balance, a large target id spectrum, etc. But what sold me on it was the ability to prospect for gold since I live in an area where there is probably better chances of finding gold than any valuable coins (the area I live in didn't really start getting settled until the 1880's). I did find a 1919 penney though, which is pretty old for these parts. Because the 705 is so lightweight it is a breeze to use and I would recommend it to anyone.

Gold_Needle

Jun 21, 2005
Hi Folks,

Well, I gots me the money and I'z gonna gets me a machine.

Keep talking about this 705.

Hey Tennessee, what do you charge for the XT 705 and what goodies do you give with it???

Thanks,
GN :coffee2:

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hurckman said:
Any info will HELP how good is this detector??? The 705??? And how good is the Safari ???? Thanks Dennis

4-H can tell you alot about them for sure. I have a 705 that I got about 6 weeks ago, maybe a bit sooner, dont remember exactly. I havent had as much time to use as I would like, because of the weather out here. but it has done great when I have. Its light and easy to swing for hours without your arm getting tired. Even with the larger coils on. Most of my coils are the High Freq coils though I eventually plan on getting at least 2 more of the lower freq coils. I have the six inch high freq but I would like to get the 6 inch med freq coil, and then also get the 9 inch low freq coil. I think with my others that would pretty much do it for me.

I also have a Safari and an Omega 8000 but they are new and I have only had a chance to use the Omega one time and the Safari I just got yesterday and havent used it at all.

I just got these because I have had to go to lighter detectors. My most recent detectors were a Whites DFX and a Garrett GTI 2500. Both good machines...but I have recently developed active RA, (Rheumatoid Arthritis), which has necessitated me going to as light of machines as I can get. The Safari is not as light as the Xterra or the Omega, but isnt that much heavier. It still feels ok on my arm.

Right now I cant say anything bad about the 3 of them. I think you would like the Xterra alot. I have used it and I do like it. The Omega is a good machine also and I was surprised at how light it is and how quiet a machine it is but I did do fairly well the one time I have been out with it. The Safari...well, I dont know yet. Its going to be interesting. I hope to get out today and do some detecting, IF the weather cooperates. Its been raining all week. I got to go out ONE time only for a couple of hours and that was it when the weather broke for one afternoon. Then more rain.

I think you would be surprised at the number of detectorists that buy a detector and only keep it a few months, sometimes just weeks, and then sell it and get another. Basically...looking for the one that "fits" them. If you are lucky, you know someone that you can borrow the one you are considering, and try it out before you buy one. Sometimes you can, other times not. Others just like to have the latest and greatest.
I have owned Garretts since the Groundhog days. I have owned every version of the Master Hunter series at one time or another over the years. Good machines all. And my latest was the GTI 2500. I have also owned a number of Whites detectors...both the DFX and the MXT and a number of others. All of them good machines also. Minelabs, well, other than the 2 machines I have now, I have only owned one other Minelab and that was the original Sovereign bbs model. One that I would have kept except I hit financial difficulties at the time and had to sell it. That was a good machine.
Which is why I guess I now have gone to having 2 minelabs. I will use the 705 as my prospecting machine mainly and the Safari and the Omega will be my general use machines. Havent decided yet which of the 2 I will use as my primary detector.

But definately let 4-H know the area of the country you guys are in and he can pretty much tell you what machines would be best for your area. I will be traveling alot after this summer which is why I have several machines. Sometimes one machine will work better in one part of the country than another. So I am just going to be prepared. :icon_sunny:

veronasteve

Mar 22, 2008
i got a 705 a couple of weeks ago after selling my 4 yr old dfx......also got some land (300 acres) near me and done it loads with the dfx,using the 1400 dd,eclipse and stock coil and in 15 and 3 hz,best data......so i was interested to see what the 705 would find that i've missed.
well i've only been able to do a small amount due to the grass and weeds(which are now being cut) but stuff is coming up on previously 'quiet' areas...so i expect some good finds when i can access the hotspots........all metal with 2 tones is the best setting....multitones wil only add extra data you need to think about...1 high,1 low ...simple and effective......so , so far i'm pleased with my choice.

oldbill

Mar 25, 2006
Hi 4 H You wrote: "They are Both good! No Great machines". I happen to agree with You, what in your view is a couple great Machines?

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
http://metaldetectorreviews.net/detectors/215-1-minelabsafari.html Safari

-----------------------------------------
Detailed Description Minelab xterra 705

The X-Terra 705 offers the ultimate detecting experience. An "All-Purpose" detector capable of "all types" of detecting from Coin & Treasure, Relic, Beach to Gold Prospecting, the X-Terra 705 delivers optimal performance across diverse detecting conditions with ease. Performance and features driven, the versatility of the X-Terra 705 makes it without question, the leading product in its category.

KurtB

Sep 8, 2006
Lincoln, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70, CZ20, IDX Pro
The X70 in a great all around machine. One of the things that I like about the machine is that you can use the notch feature all the way up the discrimination scale. If you are in an area that gives you a lot of false high tones you can notch them out an still leave the rest of the scale wide open if you want. If you want to search for just jewelry you can block out the high and low end and dig the jewelry range. You can't do that with many of the new machines in the X70s price range.

Kurt

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
piratediver said:
I can't afford a new 705 but can swing the 505, would I be better off trying to find a used 705?

Thanks,

Pirate diver

If you can, find a used 705. It has some features of the 505 and the X70 that make it a better machine though those who have the X70 might disagree. One of the features that helps me alot is the backlite. For me, with my eyes, a VERY usefull feature.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions