Madmetalmax

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2016
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 305, Whites Surfmaster PI DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone, I recently just joined the forum but I wanted to pass along some limited knowledge I have with the machine I use at the beach.

Now I know a VLF machine is not optimum at a beach setting in wet sand but it can be done, my Xterra 305 came with the stock coil and I replaced it with the minelab 15 inch all terrain 18.75kHz coil. This made it significantly more stable.

Hunting in dry sand is pretty self explanatory but when I am hunting in wet sand I can't ground balance the machine at all, no matter the setting I get a ton of feed back, so I leave it wherever it was set for the dry sand on the same beach. Without any discrimination the machine would sound out a constant series of false beeps for iron objects, so discriminating out iron I'm able to search wet sand and into the water (tide pools) at level 7 or 8 sensitivity. Generally I can hit on any object down to about 4-5 inches and have found numerous coins in saturated sand and even out of tide pools.

I have not found any jewelry down by the water but I have found some in the dry sand, not sure if this is because it is sinking lower than I can reach in the sand, or if with these settings the machine can't sense the gold/silver. (Ground balance issue?)

Anyways, hope this helps anyone using a Xterra or a VLF machine, keep in mind every beach pretty much has its own characteristics.....

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is why people use multi-frequency VLF and Pulse Induction machines on saltwater beaches. :occasion14:

OP
OP
M

Madmetalmax

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2016
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 305, Whites Surfmaster PI DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep! I have a surfmaster DF coming in the mail, really looking forward to using it, not looking forward to figuring out how to use it....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'm not sure about the 305's options, but I've had some experience with the 705 on the wet salt beach. And despite having a beach mode, and despite all different setting adjustment efforts .... it sucked in wet salt. I'd venture to say that my depth was half of what I am accustomed to on Explorer and Excalibur on wet salt. So I would imagine that the 305 can't be any better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread