Minelabs and the new Garrett z-lynk wireless setup

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought the new z-lynk wireless headphone setup for my E-trac, i have to say there is no lag time that is noticeable, But it does not work vary well with the E-trac, It cuts out alot, called Garretts and asked them about it, was told for the E-trac you have to turn your threshold level all the way up and your volume gain all the way up, I did that and gave it a try....I am sending the z-lynk back. By changing those settings all your sounds and tones are different, like having to learn the e-trac all over again....not going there.

TwistedT

Nov 15, 2014
Westmoreland County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher F5,
Garrett ATP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But it does not work vary well with the E-trac, It cuts out alot, called Garretts and asked them about it, was told for the E-trac you have to turn your threshold level all the way up and your volume gain all the way up, I did that and gave it a try....I am sending the z-lynk back. By changing those settings all your sounds and tones are different, like having to learn the e-trac all over again....not going there.

wow - thats a shame.
i just bought one and like you said - there is no noticeable lag.
I have tried it on my 3 detectors with no problems - ATP and Fisher F2 and F5

too bad you have to change all those settings to get it to work correctly.
why did garrett say you had to change all those settings? seems like it should just work, i mean it is only relaying a sound, nothing else

are you going to try it with a different Z-Lynk or just forget about it? just curious.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
called Garretts and asked them about it, was told for the E-trac you have to turn your threshold level all the way up and your volume gain all the way up

Sounds like the kind of advice you get when they have no idea what the problem is.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 1 I have works awesome on all detectors...

Jimmie

Jan 22, 2006
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's V3i , DFX & Pro XL , Minelab Sovereign & Excalibur, Minelab GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine on my GPX 4500 shuts down for no reason on the transmitter while detecting. I press the button and about 10 minutes latter it does it again. This is a second unit I have had Garrett sent this one as a replacement for the first one that would not hold a charge on the receiver.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Glad to hear your guys input. I was getting ready to buy one. Think I will wait a little bit now.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the z-Lynn as well, but my hang up is my stock headphones weren't compatible....(AT PRO)
I went online, picked the ones I wanted, but dummy me had my thrifty wife order them....
She found a cheap knockoff from Amazon, saving us some money. Garbage made in a China that I couldn't keep due to both principle, and poor performance....
Waiting to get the MS2.... just lazy placing the order.

gfeulner

Jan 22, 2011
I bought the Z Lynk for my Etrac and had to return it. The signal from a target would cut out and have a lot of static. I thought it might be the 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter but tried three of them and three headphones with the same result. It did the same thing on a friends Etrac. It's too bad because I like the idea of 30 hours between charges. I emailed Garrett about this and they couldn't come up with an answer. They're a good company and would send a replacement until you got a good one but I wasn't going there.
Gerry

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a pair for my Explorer SE. Same issues. Cuts out constantly to the point it's unusable. I called Garrett, got a return authorization, sent it in, and got them back 2 weeks later (this past Wed). Long story short, they still do it. I bought a pair of TDK WR700 wireless phones, so we'll see how they do when they get here.

I really wanted the Z to work, as I want to use earbuds. Not looking forward to wearing full headphones in the summer here in Florida.

Garrett didn't say anything to me about the issue with Minelab FBS's, and heck, they didn't even ask what machine I was using them on. I'll bet they work fine on my Tesoro.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine on my GPX 4500 shuts down for no reason on the transmitter while detecting. I press the button and about 10 minutes latter it does it again. This is a second unit I have had Garrett sent this one as a replacement for the first one that would not hold a charge on the receiver.
ZLink doesn't work on the GPX series.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deteknix works well with the Etrac...

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deteknix works well with the Etrac...

If the TDK's don't do well, these will be next on the list. Thanks for the heads up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread