All Treasure Hunting

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say probably not. Especially, if they already have your money. But thank you for telling me because I was just thinking of buying one. Maybe I will go with the Deeptech instead.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind you only hear from people with problems, I know a lot of people with Equinox with no problems. No one starts a thread just to say I have no problems with my detector. It is a small fraction of detectors that have issues.

OP
OP
S

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Equinox was going to be my next purchase but after reading the issues here I wanted to be sure those issues are in the past. Hoping someone experienced with the Equinox history can comment.

OP
OP
S

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind you only hear from people with problems, I know a lot of people with Equinox with no problems. No one starts a thread just to say I have no problems with my detector. It is a small fraction of detectors that have issues.

When an issue does pop up, how responsive is Minelab?

Are they replacing coils with broken ears or does the user have to purchase a new coil?

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Exactly, and also they are probably selling 10 to 1, 20 to 1 even 50 to 1 over some other brands of detectors. So though it may appear to be more problems, as a problems to units sold ratio, it may be less problems then many other brands.

I can tell you this, im going on what, year 3 (i bought it when they first became available) and have had zero problems. I've dropped it, fell on it and its still chugging along. I don't use it in water though, it's clear its water resistant, not waterproof as they claim, and if you don't submerge it, you can eliminate about 50+ percent of the problems reported right off the bat!

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When an issue does pop up, how responsive is Minelab?

Are they replacing coils with broken ears or does the user have to purchase a new coil?

Have to ask Minelab, I no longer work for them. I will say Minelab was replacing coils for the X-terra series when coil tabs broke even though they were out of warranty for years. Last I knew they were replacing the Equinox coils with broken ear tabs at no cost to customer, I don't know current policy now.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you’re OK to get the Equinox Singlestack. Many thousands out there without issue. I’ve owned 5 Minelabs, currently own two. No issues with any of them regarding electronics or build quality. But I don’t swing mine through big waves or try to smooth out a beach or knock them against trees...you get the picture. Treat it right, you should be golden.

OP
OP
S

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for the info.

Will be purchasing one moving forward...

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Had the 800 and was great but sold it. Missed it and so bought a 600 instead. Was great but sold it also. Now I have a new 600, foldable carbon fiber shaft, coil ear stifferner ( although I’ve never broken one) docs control pad and cuff covers, it’s a beauty, and I also bought a used one with 6” coil, which I have on a telescoping carbon fiber shaft. Note: neither of them is for sale!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread