relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't really know How you know the degree of mineralization, and I think it varies even within a specific region.
Most new machines have a ground-balance feature that will null the mineralization out of the signal. Even then you
will have to adjust the GB from time to time to account for drift and variations in soils.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How do I know if the soil in my area is high in mineralization and what exactly does that even mean? I'm in the Pittsburgh area if that helps.

Borrow someone's detector with GB and it will tell you the mineralization. Or ask someone that hunts in your area with a good detector.

OP
OP
J

jmz82

Greenie
Feb 27, 2014
I don't really know How you know the degree of mineralization, and I think it varies even within a specific region. Most new machines have a ground-balance feature that will null the mineralization out of the signal. Even then you will have to adjust the GB from time to time to account for drift and variations in soils.

Thanks, I was considering getting a Fisher F2, I read the dd coil does better in soil that is high in mineralization. I don't think the soil here is bad but I really have no idea.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll do just fine with the stock coil on the F2. Spend that extra money on a pinpointer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread