Minerals and UV light questions

pityocamptes

Jul 5, 2003
Wasn't sure where to put this thread so feel free to move it (maybe someone could add a mineral/rock section?). Anyway, I was thinking about modifying one of those lights with the head strap on it with UV LED's (long-wave). I've tried looking for short wave (250nm-300nm) UV LED's but no luck. Has anyone here used longwave light when mineral hunting? If so did you find that most minerals fluoresced under longwave or shortwave? Thinking about going just longwave since the LED's are relatively cheap and easy to come buy but wanted to make sure the longwave UV LED's would show most minerals. Any comments welcome. Thanks. -Shawn

Upvote 0
G

GRIZZLEY

I am interested in any answers you get to this question too. I am thinking about getting an ultraviolet light 12v type and was wandering which was best to get short wave or long wave, what the difference was, under which light do more minerals fluoresce, practical wattages, best place to buy one.
Looking forward to anyones answers to these questions.
GRIZZLEY

OP
OP
P

pityocamptes

Jul 5, 2003
GRIZZLEY said:
I am interested in any answers you get to this question too. I am thinking about getting an ultraviolet light 12v type and was wandering which was best to get short wave or long wave, what the difference was, under which light do more minerals fluoresce, practical wattages, best place to buy one.
Looking forward to anyones answers to these questions.
GRIZZLEY

I know Walmart sells the handheld longwave UV lights small 4-5" tube light for less than $20.00. Not sure how far they project though. I spoke with someone on the GeoTech forum that uses the longwave LEDs on a modified miners type light (can pick those up at Walmart too) and said it projected several feet. Just wondering if any found the longwave to be better or worse than the shortwave.

flagold

Aug 3, 2004
If you're going into the field, this is what you really need: http://www.lifestylestore.com/ls_uv_lights_6556.html

Anything under 6 watts is only good for a foot or so.

Most minerals are flourescent under short wave light.? Diamonds flouresce light blue and some are phosphorescent as well (turn the light off and they remain lit for a few seconds).

SimilkS.jpg

Good luck!
MM
http://www.treasuresites.com/news.htm (treasure news)

oldestjim

Sep 5, 2004
Southern California
For anyone serious about ultra-violet lamps and basic minerals and rock samples you may find it worthwhile to check with Minerals Unlimited in Ridgecrest CA.

Minerals Unlimited has been in business for many years and has a large inventory of mineral/rock samples such as found in the actual field and not the rare specimens as found in a museum.

The business was started in the early 1970's and the daughter continued it after her father died. It may now be one of the only mailorder sources of mineral-rock collections for hands-on examination and study.

There are sets of different minerals and or rocks of thumbnail or larger size available at a reasonable price.
I have been doing business with MU since 1973.

Wendi Elkins now runs it. Her fax is 760-375-2300 ---? ?her phone is 760-375-5279
her email < [email protected]>

Wendi does not know I'm doing this. However she will welcome any business as over the years mail order
rock/mineral suppliers have slowly gone out of business which is unfortunate as they can be a great-only source of inexpensive rocks minerals to study.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions