MinerFortyNiner1952 Prospecting Journal

MinerFortyNiner1952

Nov 18, 2013
San Jose, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This weekend found me arriving at my friend's Grass Valley home, preparing for our monthly excursion to our claim.
Looking for a cheap way to increase our capacity, I had envisioned a homemade high banker hopper using a rectangular
Rubbermaid tub, an old barbeque grill, and numerous pieces of scrap aluminum angle iron.

We tossed around ideas for a while and realized that whatever we did would create other issues that would be as time
consuming as just classifying with the bucket and screen method. So we progressed to Plan B, grabbing the trusty
Keene catalog and seeing what was available. We already have a couple of Keene a52 sluices, one with sluice riffles
and one with the higher dredge riffles and had previously purchased a stand for the a52 box. We discovered our best
option was to obtain a Keene hopper that would bolt to our a52. On an impulse (insert gold fever here), we headed out
to the mining candy store, Pioneer Mining Supplies in Auburn, where we saw our vision materialize and we did the deal,
buying the hopper, nugget trap, and adapter that allowed for the conversion.

10.jpg

The next morning, we packed all our stuff down to the claim and we were ready to start the experiment. We had a
backpack dredge pump on site and thought that we could at least start with that, not knowing what to expect. While
the flow was great enough to wash the rocks, there certainly wasn't enough flow to push all the material through without
help . Our pump was woefully undersized for this app and even though we had to help the material through the sluice,
this method was an improvement over our previous method. Turns out the motor Keene suggest is a 100 GPM pump
while the one we had was only 10 GPM. (Ok, we will have to resolve this problem.) We decided to run for an hour and
do a clean up.

13.jpg

The gravel bar we are on is the same one that we have dug on in our two previous trips so we know that there is gold
there. Almost every test pan in almost every area shows colors, so we just began to dig and process. Just dumping
shovels full of dirt in the hopper caused the riffles to quickly load up so we had to slow the amount of dirt introduced
into the hopper, allowing the spray to wash the dirt from the shovel as opposed to just dumping it in. Not optimum,
but a vast improvement over our previous methods. We stopped after one hour and did a clean out and were happy
to discover that we had caught gold, chunky gold and flour gold. I do believe that we are losing some of the flour gold,
because the quantity isn't as great as the amounts of flour gold we had recovered in previous trips from less dirt.

12.jpg

9.jpg

We resumed processing, taking the top layer off the gravel closest to the water and then proceeding to an area up
bank, where we removed the top layer, and then started digging deeper, looking for bedrock. Underneath the top
layers of cobbles, we found a coarse sand and pebbly layer that tested well, so we decided to dig wider with the end
game to dig deeper. We needed a larger, wider hole so that it would allow us to roll boulders out of the way. All
total, we probably processed a half yard of dirt and rocks, taking our concentrates home for final cleanup.

15.jpg

16.jpg

Our cleanup process had consisted of classifying to an eight mesh, followed by running it through our cleanup sluice
and then panning. We used a blue bowl last time and also reran the material that had gone through the sluice.
Found four or five dots in that second pass so now we were unsure as to the effectiveness of our cleanup sluice. This
time we decided to classify to a 50 or 60 and run all through the blue bowl. As a test, we decided to rerun the blue
bowl cons through the cleanup sluice and were surprised to see that the blue bowl missed more gold than the cleanup
sluice did. I guess our new process will be to classify, run through the sluice twice, then the blue bowl and with the
final cleanup in a gold pan.

DSC_9952.JPG

DSC_9953.JPG

Relative to all our previous tips, our gold total is getting better. While not that impressive, the amount is weighable ,
coming in at a "whopping" .64 grams. You would think that working your a$$ off for a weekend would slightly diminish
the 'fever' but it only seems to fan the flames higher and higher. CAN'T WAIT TO GET BACK OUT THERE!!

Rick

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been mining since 1958 and ya learn something new every time,when ya quit learning your not doing it right-John

OP
OP
MinerFortyNiner1952

MinerFortyNiner1952

Nov 18, 2013
San Jose, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got a chance to sneak in a bonus trip to the claim this weekend. My significant other was on a school field trip with my step daughter so I thought that could get in an extra weekend playing as I usually go only once a month.

Initially, our plans were to dig deeper in the hole that we had started, all the way to bedrock (which is probably only 3' at most). But as the hole got deeper, the test pans started coming up empty. Thought that there might be some flood gold in the overburden and got a little discouraged so started looking for the surface gold which we were able to get the last three times out. Not going to abandon the hole yet but will dig again when we have more manpower.

Got a stand for our other A52 and ran both sluices back to back. Kept thinking we were losing gold the first time we had used our new setup because we had so much dirt and rock clogging the riffles (but not completely) and the second sluice did catch some gold 8-10 specks, so I as happy with that. Thinking I will continue to use both sluices where possible.

The expectations of what might transpire with each trip (ie bedrock and nuggets) crashes into reality and you just got to make do and follow the gold,

This time we recovered .45 gram and all told in our four trips to this cobble beach, we have netted about 2 grams, so extremely happy with that. But each time we go, it seems the success bar gets set a
little higher. I think that our goal now would be to get 1 gram.

Maybe next time!!

OP
OP
MinerFortyNiner1952

MinerFortyNiner1952

Nov 18, 2013
San Jose, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We were able to prospect our claim twice in the month of June. Just a lot going on since summer started and those were
my only two times out. Had visions of more trips but reality got in the way. Anyways, here's my description of the first time out.

View attachment 1030438

Went back to the claim for another day of digging. Since we are a three or four man crew, we rotate the decision of where to
dig to each member of our crew. (Gold is where you find it, so who's to say which spot is better than the next.) We had pretty
much cleaned up the surface of our cobble beach so the place to dig for this day was an area across from the cobble beach where
there were some big boulders with sheer faces perpendicular to the creek.

View attachment 1030448

One of the guys decided to look into increasing our gpm
and found a used high banker/beach box with a bigger motor so we have swapped out our tiny backpack dredge motor. It's sweet!

View attachment 1030450

There was a small area with gravel and cobbles at the base of the boulder and a test pan showed the presence of flood gold. We dug
down a bit, tested again and came up with a couple of colors so we decided to carry on. Since we were right next to the creek, our
hole was quickly underwater and it was hard to tell how much material was in the hole, and whether we were nearing bedrock or
even what kind of material we were in. Using the braille method, we could tell there was a v-shaped pocket or crack underwater and
we focused our attention in this area but the day ended without our fully being able to get to the very bottom. I'm sure we left some
pieces in there and look forward to returning with a small backpack dredge (when pigs fly). Additionally, there is a crack in the face of
the boulder near the edge which has the makings of a beautiful nugget trap, but only when the water is 10-15 feet higher. No telling
when this crack started forming, so maybe there's a possibility of some old gold. Yeah, right. Dream on!! Will attempt to take this on
when we have ample muscle and boulder bars. Should clean out the bottom crack first before we drop a bunch of rock fragments onto
it.

I had previously set a lofty goal of 1g per trip because the first three attempts at the beach were so productive (relatively speaking) But
our totals were less, only .31g, with smaller amounts of flour gold but we did come up with a nice little picker.

View attachment 1030452

View attachment 1030453

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice Journal 49er. Great video, too!

Have the pigs flown yet?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions