miners moss

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old timers used organic moss in the box to trap gold and ancient miners used lambs fleece so anything that has spaces for gold to become trapped in will work, even carpet will trap gold.

Of course some furnace filters will work better than others. Definitely stay away from spun glass or foam or paper filters for obvious reasons. But other materials especially waterproof ones with a coarse enough weave should work fine.

I'm just not a fan of using anything that makes clean up more of a chore so I seldom use miners moss or carpet in any of my sluices.
Uni sluices such as Le trap, Angus Mackirk, etc., Drop riffles, vortex mat, magic mat, or fluid bed traps like the Bazooka Gold Trap are the way to go because you get all the gold without trapping a bunch of worthless sand and gravels.

GG~

Last edited:

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought something that sounds similar to your description. Green in color and it was some sort of spun fiberglass. As Goodguy says stay away from it. Depending on the type of gold in your area and if your looking for an inexpensive alternative go with un backed carpet or large pieces of green scrub pads under expanded metal. I've been where your at and made several homemade sluices. Eventually gave it all up and bought Factory made. But it's till fun to build your own stuff, especially when I'm looking out the window at two feet of snow and it's hasn't been above freezing for days.

OP
OP
R

rdd52

Dec 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is called natural aire made with natural fibers the upc code is 3194900015 it doesn't look like the normal air filters it is course like the miners moss.i think i will try it but i have to wait for the snow to melt the way things are going here it might not be until June or July

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Miners moss is harder to clean but it will catch all gold through the sluice box. The bazooka is something im thinking about though.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
it is called natural aire made with natural fibers the upc code is 3194900015 it doesn't look like the normal air filters it is course like the miners moss.i think i will try it but i have to wait for the snow to melt the way things are going here it might not be until June or July
if it is described as washable/reusable it should work ok, I use a wash-n-reuse furnace filter in my furnace and it's held up through 18 years of monthly washing although of course I'm not dropping rocks on it!

Miners moss is harder to clean but it will catch all gold through the sluice box. The bazooka is something im thinking about though.
good thinking, go for it! you'll never look back!

bill-costa rica

Sep 19, 2010
playa samara
Detector(s) used
sd2100 infinium ls, 10 inch dredge
i like miners moss. the original 3m nomad is the best. i don't clean my sluice every day i like a place for the gold to hide. when i pull the nomad out i like the amount of fine gold i see under the mat. plus nomad pays a bonus in the winter when they are dried out you can beat them and still find more fine gold to play with.

bill/cr

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Miner's moss is great stuff. I use it in my sluice, and I use it in both my dredges. I'm amazed at what it will catch. The nice thing about it is that if your water flow is interrupted and you have to start your sluice again, you don't risk blowing out your gold like you do with a Le Trap or similar fluid-bed traps.

I use the Le Trap when it suits me as it weighs almost nothing to pack, but it has cost me several good gold losses. I don't know that I've ever messed up bad enough with a river sluice with miner's moss to have ever lost the gold.

All the best as you figure out what's best for you,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
We tried that Natural Aire filter and it loads up with sands real quick. After experimenting with it for a while it went into the trash because it becomes waterlogged so quickly and is next to worthless. JMHO

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We tried that Natural Aire filter and it loads up with sands real quick. After experimenting with it for a while it went into the trash because it becomes waterlogged so quickly and is next to worthless. JMHO

Nothing to worry about. That's why there's three prospecting rules: 1. Test. 2. Test. 3. Test.

You're just doing what you're supposed to do.

I've tried lots of different things over the years, some were epic fails, and some were successful.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread