Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people avoid digging into collapsed caves or mines. Its just not a good idea to poke a sleeping bear. Closed off mines are no better. Unless you have some mining experience just leave them alone. Even an experienced miner will think three times before attempting to access something of that nature. You'll be better off and safer just digging thru the tailing piles to see what might have been coming out of the rocks. My advice.
Sorry cant help you to possibly hurt yourself.
DD

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't go in! There is nothing in there worth your life. If it's already had a collapse, it's a highly unstable place.

STAY OUT, STAY ALIVE!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should pair up with an expert to show you the basics. There is also deadly gases that can collect in mines.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Have your life insurance paid up and up to date,youre,or your wife or family is going to need it.see you in the after life buddy:laughing7:

walker614

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you need advise on how to spot snakes in the wild, how can you possibly think you can clear and/or enter a collapsed mine?

Chris W.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If u come across one that's caved in or has rocks stacked in the opening how do you remove them with tools if so what tools and is there a specific way to check for snakes before u start?

Snakes are the LEAST of your worries (trust me). Are you just talking about the opening being closed? Like a landslide type happening over the entrance? If rocks are "stacked" in the front of an opening can't you just un-stack them? But if your actually talking about a "cave in" stay the hell out of there. Again, snakes are not your problem.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The opening being closed I've read alot of stories where ppl sealed the caves they hid silver in.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Now read some stories where people entered an abandoned mine where the entrance collapsed and they were trapped inside and were either crushed to death or had the privilege of starving to death(not a very pleasent way to go)

Ken/CO

Sep 27, 2003
Colorado
Mines and Caves Question

Aside from the cave-in and snakes, what about the possibility of orderless poisonous gases that could kill you within minutes.

walker614

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The opening being closed I've read alot of stories where ppl sealed the caves they hid silver in.

Gonna be a news story.... Just how it goes is the question. "Amateur treasure seekers...
A. Trapping in collapsed abandoned mine.
B. Crushed in a collapsed abandoned mine.
C. Snake bite near collapsed abandoned mine.
Bodies to be recovered at a later date. News at 11!!

Chris W.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
D..Deceased treasure hunter found inside of collapsed mine.Finger tips worn to the bone as treasure hunter tried to claw his way out through the rock before expiring from starvation and thist.

S

stefen

Maybe 20 or so years back, several young men died within a 100 feet of the entrance to a boarded-up mine located in Silverado Canyon, Orange County, California.

A few beers and they became invincible (and dead).

And somewhere I read or heard that men between the ages of 16 and 25 are snake bit more ofter than any other age group.
The reason is again a few beers and the need to tease a rattler.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Snakes can be anywhere or time if temps allow mobility. Either using the stored thermal mass of stone or shading behind or under. No reason in their activities not to arrive or depart or cycle through normal routines till disturbed or weather affects their behavior. A denning area could contain umpteen or hundreds.Bat guano, certain mouse droppings,poison on the floor could all require a respirator and a bite from the wrong spider could mess an explorer up bad. I,m not paranoid but quality of life appeals more nowadays than it used too.
Masonry and handling rock is an art. Or simple safety conscious work but with no details of your capability or experience or helpers on what property..leave the potential death trap alone till you are aware of all the dangers and have qualified help. Many caves and mines have clues of any occupation or activity outside their mouths. Instability due to improper bracing or erosion as well as gravity during temp and earthquakes ect. are amplified over time and are dangerous enough when fresh digs are worked to the best of modern practices. I would poke around outside the opening not touching anything in its mouth and trusting nothings purpose or integrity.. The area farther out would be hunted too as well as possible access trails and landmarks.

Last edited:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now read some stories where people entered an abandoned mine where the entrance collapsed and they were trapped inside and were either crushed to death or had the privilege of starving to death(not a very pleasent way to go)

I read stories about people getting wiped out by vehicles a lot more often.

Bloodline

Feb 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If u come across one that's caved in or has rocks stacked in the opening how do you remove them with tools if so what tools and is there a specific way to check for snakes before u start?

Keep out and live.:laughing7:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I read stories about people getting wiped out by vehicles a lot more often.

Doesnt matter,it still happens.Theres millions of cars on the road,theres not millions of treasure hunters entering abandoned mines.Thats were the mathematics of odds comes into play.Enter all the abandoned mines you want to,you may luck out or you may not,50-50 odds.If you luck out you walk away,if you dont luck out well,you either have the hope of being rescued,the hope of a quick death by being crushed to death in a cave in,or the privilege of either dying of dehydration or the excruciating pain of starving to death as your body digests itself.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other

They are just stories, written awhile ago to sell books. We are all still searching for these sealed mines. Take everyone's advice and leave it alone...

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's hard to argue with the common sense of STAYING OUT!!!! I believe I'd have no interest in an old abandoned mine but if I discovered an undocumented cave (like I did) I'd have to explore. But my cave had no cave in's or obstructions within it. I explored 1.5 hrs. deep.... but I'm NOT saying I did the right thing and it's NOT for the faint hearted either. But I agree for the most part it is or could be very dangerous.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is nothing in that cave that is worth your life, live to explore another day. You need to gain a lot of knowledge and experience and have help to enter what you are talking about. Even the old timers would not be saying go on that one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread