SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked out a couple old homesites today. The first picture is the remains of an old chimney, there were foundation stones all around and in the back was this huge old tree, I'm guessing 200 years old at least. 3rd picture is another chimney.
The finds were a bunch of nails, a clothing snap, a 1981 quarter and an aluminum cube. When I saw the cube I thought it was silver. It weighs 25g and is just under an inch by 3/4 of an inch. :icon_pirat:

Attachments

• cube.jpg
    cube.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 549
  • Chimney.jpg
    Chimney.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 558
  • old tree.jpg
    old tree.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 559
  • Old Chimney2.jpg
    Old Chimney2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 557
  • 1-14-10 finds.jpg
    1-14-10 finds.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 553
  • cube.jpg
    cube.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 554
Upvote 0

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great place :o :o :o old stuff still hiding there ..I just no it. That tree is an oldie . Get back out to that site and hit it hard. What is he!!that alum. cube ??? :icon_scratch: weird ??? it is out there . Skypirate, if it get's 2 cold , light up the fireplace ::) ) Cool place. :thumbsup:CMD

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
Very cool finds. Nice looking places to hunt. I'm not sure how to tell for sure on trees. I've been told to count the rings on the inside of the tree tells how old and I've also heard that a tree grows a foot a year. That case the treee your talking about should be 200 feet tall. Anyway you need to check around it anyway.
:icon_sunny: HH in 2010 :icon_sunny:

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my Bust Half dollar at a site just like that.
I would hammer it with all 3 coils.

OP
OP
SkyPirate

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deno said:
I found my Bust Half dollar at a site just like that.
I would hammer it with all 3 coils.

Unfortunately I only have the stock 8 inch coil. I have been digging everything and its all junk :dontknow:

OP
OP
SkyPirate

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CMDiamonddawg said:
What a great place :o :o :o old stuff still hiding there ..I just no it. That tree is an oldie . Get back out to that site and hit it hard. What is he!!that alum. cube ??? :icon_scratch: weird ??? it is out there . Skypirate, if it get's 2 cold , light up the fireplace ::) ) Cool place. :thumbsup:CMD
At the site of the first chimney there are so many Kudzu vines everywhere that you can hardly walk. Out behind the site, entangled in vines is a broke down wood structure. it seems to be covering a cistern.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SkyPirate said:
CMDiamonddawg said:
At the site of the first chimney there are so many Kudzu vines everywhere that you can hardly walk. Out behind the site, entangled in vines is a broke down wood structure. it seems to be covering a cistern.
Homesteads are a dream,but take alot of time an effort ,Skypirate. few tips :icon_pirat: Figure out where that back door was and look for a depression or hole that was the privy ,search there .Clear out the junk around the tree ,there should be some great finds. Around the back, was where they , kept the horses, always good relics there . The chimney was usually on the side of the place, some were in the center ,but that one looks like a side fireplace,because of the tree loc.. Looks like a tough place ,with all the vines etc . Take your time and there will be some results! Try to" figure out the layout" , Entrances ,side yard for activities , out buildings. Minimum finds ,at first are not uncommon. Could be frustrating ,so hang in there. HH CMD :thumbsup:

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
That's a great looking site!
I hunted a place similar to that in Michigan and the first few times out I found only rusted mason jar lids, utensils and horse tack.
I kept circling out away from the cellar hole and finally found a few old coins on the path from the house to where I think the hitching post was. I'd definitely hit it a few more times if I was you.
Good Luck!
Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread