Mining career

MrTim4Gold

Sep 9, 2014
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello readers, I have done my share of bs jobs in the past, wouldn't it be an adventure to work on a mine full time? Gold mining isn't easy..I have taken many people out with me on my small day trips..and after an hour of digging they wish they didn't come! I on the other hand love being outdoors and the hunt for gold. My question to everyone is how does one get a foot in the door on a bigger operation? maybe you know someone looking for another partner? Stuck spinning my wheels doing something I hate..dreaming of something I love!
Check out my pages by clicking the below links!

Upvote 0

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi tim,would love that too,but too far away from my reality right now.Just want to say nice pic of coprinus comatus on your facebook page,did not now they live in the us too.They are very good to eat and healthy.When they get older they dissolve to ink,so eat them young.

cheers,emilio

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MrTim4Gold

Sep 9, 2014
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ahh I wondered what species it was..it lived for over a week before lawn guys mowed it down!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tim, no disrespect intended, but it seems to me you're
constantly promoting your Facebook and Youtube channels.
With the links in your signature, no doubt folks will go see the
pages if they wish, anyway.

As for a full time mining job, check the pages of ICMJ and other
industry mags. Might have considered it myself if I was 40 years younger..

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
im no expert in commercial mining but unless gold prices rise up to $3600 an oz. you'll need to get out of the Midwest, and the question is are you comfortable doing that?

OP
OP
M

MrTim4Gold

Sep 9, 2014
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
im no expert in commercial mining but unless gold prices rise up to $3600 an oz. you'll need to get out of the Midwest, and the question is are you comfortable doing that?
Im in the East above you! haha Id do better in Ga even..there isn't crap in Ohio, and to make it big or go bust trying..yes..id move

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well Tim.... you got a couple of things right. First Mining of any type is hard work! I don't care if it's digging for gold or gypsum, it's hard dirty work on the best of days. Second is it's hard to get your foot in the door with any major mine. They're not going to hire anyone that doesn't have the types of skills needed to help them make a profit. I've been prospecting and mining for a lot of years, I'd have a hard time getting hired by one of the big groups! Since I prefer to be the boss, I would rather work for myself and have maybe a few guys under me.

Most people don't understand just how much work goes into a mine BEFORE you start digging! Dealing with the Govt is never easy and it seems that they intentionally make the process much harder than it has to be in an effort to make people quit before they can really get going. Perseverance is one of the most important attributes that a miner has to have. Besides dealing with the Govt types, you have to do tons of research. Tracking down data, getting it all together into something that you can make sense out of is all part of the game. Mining records, geological reports, hydrology reports, assay reports as well as claims both current and historical all have to be understood. Depending on what kind of deposit you're working, you may also have to know chemistry and lab safety.

Like you I've taken people out digging and most of them don't want to go back out for some reason. Considering that this was just for a day or two, I'd hate to see how bad they'd be crying after a month of "roughing it".

There is a lure to mining for gold and once someone has the fever and has worked their own claim, it's hard to have to go back to work for some know nothing boss that is some relative of the owner. Been there... Done that.... Got the company shirt.

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Im in the East above you! haha Id do better in Ga even..there isn't crap in Ohio, and to make it big or go bust trying..yes..id move

if you move to the SE here are some vids of gold mining ops around here

most mines round here are very small scale, but they're here

OP
OP
M

MrTim4Gold

Sep 9, 2014
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
very cool, that first vid tho, scary those big rock in the box..and looks like he only running V matting..could be goldhog tho. Even one of these setups would be cool..sure if ya spend a million ya may get back millions..but Im no rich guy..just small guy with big dreams..

OP
OP
M

MrTim4Gold

Sep 9, 2014
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You got that right GoldenIrishman, not interested in working for someone such as Parker S...big op's only care about themselves..rather have a good partner to share a load with..not someone to sit on side lines and just talk about getting rich..gotta get wet n dirty..and that is my true love

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
very cool, that first vid tho, scary those big rock in the box..and looks like he only running V matting..could be goldhog tho. Even one of these setups would be cool..sure if ya spend a million ya may get back millions..but Im no rich guy..just small guy with big dreams..
I don't think any of that equipment would cost a million dollars
btw heres another question, what kind of money do you have to start a mine
do you already have savings
or are you intending to get a long term investment

OP
OP
M

MrTim4Gold

Sep 9, 2014
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't think any of that equipment would cost a million dollars
btw heres another question, what kind of money do you have to start a mine
do you already have savings
or are you intending to get a long term investment

ha Im just dreaming, I live pay to pay..dream big! maybe one day ill catch a break..millionaires in my family are tight! though they did buy my dredge :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread