mining claim question

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The county recorders office is where ALL claims start and end. The tax assessor will help you look up the tax id # and then the books /microfische/computer will answer all. BLM LR 20000 is such a piece a junk they (the FS/BLN?
BR) all missed my claims to send me notification they were stealing my mineral rights last august and this may. I attended the meeting(wipeout) and finally got my notification of the May 26th meet on June 7th,requires by law a 30 day prior notification. Go to the county as all else only close to reality-John

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you find the location notice it will have a serial number forthe claim. you can contact the blm and see if its current.It should be current at the county and blm or someone isnt handling the paperwork properly.

SLNugget

Sep 25, 2013
Morristown, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you find the location notice it will have a serial number forthe claim. you can contact the blm and see if its current.It should be current at the county and blm or someone isnt handling the paperwork properly.

It has not been my experience that a location notice has a claim number on it. There is no claim number assigned until after the location notice is recorded at the county and filed with the BLM as far as I know.

Determine the Township, Range and Section the claim is located in and check LR2000 for active and closed claims, then go to the County Recorder records either online or in person to further determine the status. This process becomes easier as you become more familiar with the process and possibly some of the personnel at the County Recorders office.

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BLM & Forest Service Disclaimers and Important Notices Disclaimer of Liability: The Myth

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has not been my experience that a location notice has a claim number on it. There is no claim number assigned until after the location notice is recorded at the county and filed with the BLM as far as I know.

Determine the Township, Range and Section the claim is located in and check LR2000 for active and closed claims, then go to the County Recorder records either online or in person to further determine the status. This process becomes easier as you become more familiar with the process and possibly some of the personnel at the County Recorders office.
To clarify I should say if the claimant revised his location, which we did....once we got our copy back, I made a copy and replaced the original.I have found more markers with the BLM copy including the serial # number than without. It is common to find signs with the number on it as well, The more official the markers the less likely it is to be Highgraded. Shows the presence of of the miner I guess. It is the way I have contacted several claimholders to ask permission to dig on their claim.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Claim markers sans camc numbers are location monuments and a must for each and every claim as without monument and discovery there is no legit claim to begin with. Each state now has different requirements on monument configurations so as to hurt critters hahahaha such bs-but regs is regs-John

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
when placing claim markers, jot down its exact location with a GPS. and take pictures of each marker with this info. make copies of them and give one to your local agency that manages OUR land! this is not required todo but may help you out in these trying times with claim jumpers and over filers!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The county recorder's office is the place to find the official claims location maps. These are individual to each claim location except in the few counties in California where they tax mining claims, in those counties the tax assessors office will have a map of claim locations, as John pointed out. Don't rely exclusively on the tax assessor map though as at least two of those California counties don't tax every claim nor are their maps necessarily accurate.

There is a lot of misunderstanding about claims markers. It depends on the State as to whether claims markers are required. In California, for instance, no staking or monuments are required to make a placer claim by aliquot part. Some (many) claims in California have never had corner markers.

In Arizona, California, Nevada and most other states there is no requirement to maintain a corner stake or monument once the claim has been located.

Read that again - THERE IS NO LEGAL REQUIREMENT TO MAINTAIN CLAIMS STAKES, MONUMENTS, OR MARKERS.

Relying on claims stakes to tell you if an active claim is located on any particular portion of land is foolish. Your requirement to know the status of the lands you prospect is limited to you as the prospector. It is not the claim owners fault if you prospect his claim without first researching and finding the land status at the county recorder's and the BLM.

Montana does require claim owners to check their stakes annually but that still doesn't account for cattle, elk, deer, gophers, prairie dogs and idiots knocking them down in the other 12 months of the year. No claims stakes does not equal no claim in any State.

The claim marker in question in the original post may or may not represent an active claim. That is determined in the usual way - research at the County Recorder and at the BLM.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It behooves you to learn how to tell where you are by way of TRS (town, range, section) as if you are not sure, you may be spending a lot of time for nothing. The "signs" on the claim are supposed to have the name of the person who owns the claim and the name of the claim. Check with TimC on how to plug that info into TRS to get info if "active" or "inactive". TTC

SLNugget

Sep 25, 2013
Morristown, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It behooves you to learn how to tell where you are by way of TRS (town, range, section) as if you are not sure, you may be spending a lot of time for nothing. The "signs" on the claim are supposed to have the name of the person who owns the claim and the name of the claim. Check with TimC on how to plug that info into TRS to get info if "active" or "inactive". TTC

Again it depends on the State what info if any is required on claim markers.

ClayDiggins post is right on the money. It is possible for a claim to be shown closed on LR2000 when in fact the same spot may have already had another claim located and recorded but yet be shown on LR2000. It helps to be very familiar with the immediate area you wish to claim.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Again it depends on the State what info if any is required on claim markers.

ClayDiggins post is right on the money. It is possible for a claim to be shown closed on LR2000 when in fact the same spot may have already had another claim located and recorded but yet be shown on LR2000. It helps to be very familiar with the immediate area you wish to claim.
SLNugget, isn't the requirements a federal thing? BLM requires certain info. BLM is Federal. I've been out of the game for almost a year so I cannot remember for certain. Thanks for the info, Nugget. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, the LR2000 site is THE gov's latest clearinghouse. Nobody is more up-to-date than the LR2000. If some private site (that sells claims) says they have more up-to-date, they are wrong. They ALL get their info from the LR2000. Some states will post the required claim info within days but the Feds take precedence over state as far as official posting. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's one for the record books... The Feds, almost two years after I filed my claim in AZ, sent me a REBATE for more than a hundred dollars because I overpaid my filing fees! TTC

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just further proof how screwed up they are...but nice to get a c-note back..

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I THINK I still have the correspondence, if you would like to see.

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Gold Country, Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother (TerryC) getting some of his money back is usually not the case. One of the things that confuses newie miners is the BLM doesn't list a claim until the Fed fee is paid. In other words, After you stake the claim you have 90 to pay the BLM. Say you mail in your papers to the County, they get it on the 3rd. They list the staking date, say, the 1st, with the 3rd as the receipt date. If you get the papers back on the 12th you now have 78 days to pay the Fed fee. If you send the papers right away and they get them on the 15th the BLM lists the claim as active. (How long it takes to get on line I don't know.) A quick check of the monies received is more up to date than the geo report. There are a lot of little tricks to research that makes the lr 2000 easier to figure out. Two more things, bear with me. The BLM is not required to send your money back if you filed on an active claim, nor is it their duty to kick the claim jumpers off your claim. That is for the County Sheriff and the Courts. That is when revenge is sweet, claim jumping is a Fed crime.... that means time. Oh, on a lighter note, my mining partner overpaid $10 on one of his claims. He got a Fed check for the $10. He signed it over to me, as I had filing to make. It came back to me. THEY DON'T TAKE A TWO PARTY CHECK. LOL. Let me catch a breath. TimC

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread