Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How are things looking out there for mining jobs?

I fortunately have good seniority where I work but the airline industry as a whole is going to be devastated for a long time. As are many industries.

Many folks are going to need to shift their careers. Many are young enough to make a complete shift into mining. If gold remains high and heads higher I'm curious about how mining jobs are going to look.

What's it like out there?

Upvote 0

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Generally, the worldwide economic slowdown will cost jobs in mining and associated industries. Smaller operators of all types and larger operators that have stretched themselves financially will find the next few years to be very difficult. I know of a few projects in Nevada and Idaho that will delay capital expenditures until demand picks up.

I would hope that demand picks up soon, but most of that is up to governments.

Time for more coffee.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Copper mining is going to suck unless there is war. The housing and retail industries are gone. No building or mortgages anymore.

Gold mining is booming and will continue to. The few silver mines out there will be busy. Right now 40% of world silver production is shut down (Mexico).

In the United States mining is a designated essential industry. If you are out of a job and have some equipment and knowledge it would be a good time to be prospecting for gold worth mining. It's still out there. :thumbsup:

The beat goes on.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey thanks for that!

Glad to hear mining is essential. Heck we knew that already lol.

Appreciate the update.

OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is, To clarify that's not the machine we sold, but the pneumatic stopper rock drills the miners will use to drill the blast holes with. In this method a shaft is excavated from the bottom up. That's much cheaper than sinking a shaft. Here's a picture of stopper drills. We don't sell many of those type drills these days. After the raise is finished the stoppers will be used in the narrow vein stopes as they only drill upward. So much about the method of this type of mining is using the force of gravity and not working against it.

Attachments

• 066474924f96bc3f1890273c0f3ae589--short-legs-thor.jpg
    066474924f96bc3f1890273c0f3ae589--short-legs-thor.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 63

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent way to many days on the wrong end of one of those jackleg drills.

Those are not stoppers but drifter jacklegs, a stoppers have the leg mounted to the back of the drill.

Most stoppers now are used to install roof bolts and split sets in small mines.

When i retired i had 12 of them and found no one wanted them.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah those are jacklegs duh. I was looking up images for stoppers and didn't look closely enough to see the drills are in the flipped up position, heck I've only been selling them for about 20 years. This video is a stoper, made by BTE-MW the newly formed company I work for. Before being a peddler of mining equipment I myself was on that wrong end of a jackleg. Now my old prads call me easy money.

Do you still have those stopers?

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most stoppers now are used to install roof bolts and split sets in small mines.

When i retired i had 12 of them and found no one wanted them.

Wish we had known each other. Maybe could have made a deal. I had a big pile of new Ingersoll split sets left in storage. Gone now along with my business that owned them.

Heavy Pans

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Copper mining is going to suck unless there is war. The housing and retail industries are gone. No building or mortgages anymore.

Gold mining is booming and will continue to. The few silver mines out there will be busy. Right now 40% of world silver production is shut down (Mexico).

In the United States mining is a designated essential industry. If you are out of a job and have some equipment and knowledge it would be a good time to be prospecting for gold worth mining. It's still out there. :thumbsup:

The beat goes on.

Heavy Pans

This is so true. We are cutting back at the day job and we supply 60% of this country's copper. Good thing our gold mine should be operational soon.

Of course, there's always this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.army.mil/article-amp/227715/an_elemental_issue

Might get interesting here soon.

Last edited:

Paulo

Oct 13, 2019
West Toast
Detector(s) used
HF-9, X-Ray Vision (1st gen), LDDS-1x (lawn dart dowsing system)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
While I've worked my way up into a semi white collar engineering position, I have been churning along in the background to develop 'agile' methods/technologies for extraction and processing of PGMs and gold (of course). I'm doing this for several reasons; one, because I love the challenge but mainly because I have been feeling increasingly apprehensive of depending upon my corporate overlords for my future prosperity. Coupled with the sense of an accelerating erosion of integrity of our financial infrastructure, I needed a plan B...and C...and well...

Now, we have had something occur I hadn't even factored. But, it just gives me all the more drive to secure my own 'Vertically integrated high-touch transformationally innovative supply chain management paradigm'. I've been a busy beaver lately; putting a pin in it so I can circle back and leverage my core competencies for future growth potential.

Who's with me?!?!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread