Minty 1952 S Rosie

Alnitak

Nov 20, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
I got this in change at the local coffee shop. I think somebody might be spending a coin collection, as I recently got mint-condition 1968-S and 1969-S nickels from the same coffee shop. I asked them to keep an eye on the coins. Not sure what this would grade at, but it's nearly perfect, with the mint finish clearly visible in the fields. It has some very tiny surface scratches on the high points, and unfortunately one deeper scratch on the front. Anyone here feel confident to guess the grade on this?

3519731901_3974cb1d68_o.jpg

3519732091_1c11f7f09b_o.jpg

Not perfect, but the nicest silver Rosie I have ever seen in pocket change.

Upvote 0

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
Nice drawer find, I check all my change these days!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well my Redbook says EF-40 seeing how the lines on your torch and hair are going away. If your real lucky and the grading company is sloppy you will get a low Mint-state. If you dug it don't even bother cause all coins dug are graded Dug or Environmentally Damaged, Cleaned.

Keep @ it and HH!!

OP
OP
Alnitak

Alnitak

Nov 20, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Thanks for all of the opinions. Looking at lots of examples on the web, I would guess its AU-55 or so. The lines in the hair and torch are perfect, with only the slightest hint of wear at the high points above the ear and on the cheek in the front, and even less so on the back, only in the flame of the torch. Part of the deception may be the lighting here. I purposely tried to avoid the brilliant glare of direct light, so it looks duller. Most of the coin--even the high spots--still have their mint luster.

Not worth much regardless, but fun to speculate how this coin came to be where it was almost 60 years after being minted. The only thing I can think is that someone is spending a coin collection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread