Minty Barber Quarter

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I was unsuccessful finding a door knock permission this morning. So, I called a lady that owns some land I've been saving for a situation like today.

From doing some research, I found where a house used to sit about 60 years ago. On today's map, it would sit between 2 houses. One of the houses is for sale, so I got permission from the lady in the other house. As it turns out she owns the land the house used to sit on even though she had no clue that a house used to be there.

I had scouted the area for about 15 minutes the day I got permission so I knew that were high pitched trash items scattered about (not uncommon for old house sites from what I've seen so far). I walked to the area where I wanted to start. I made my first swing and got a loud 12-47. It was so loud that I considered not even digging it. But the number was unwavering, so I dug it. The beauty below was stuck on the underside of the flap. So I'm thinking hot damn, a silver quarter. Then I pulled it out and took a closer look. Holy crap, a Barber quarter in minty condition! After cleaning her with some water, I see that she is a 1908o!

20160528 1908o Barber Quarter.jpg

The rest of the hunt totaled a 1970 Roosevelt, 1928 and 1951 Wheat pennies. But, I am not complaining! :headbang:

On a side note, last month I went to Memphis and hunted with tabman. The Saturday that we went out, my very first swing was a 1943 Washington. Crazy. I'm going to start anticipating my first swing!

Upvote 28
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful example of a Barber Quarter. :occasion14:

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one fantastic quarter...way to go! Maybe there are more hiding....:thumbsup:

I've only dug 2 Barber quarters in my life - and they were SO close to the rare date/mint....1901 "p" (looking for the "S"), and recently an 1896 O (looking for the "S" again!)

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that is a nice Barber! Congratulations!

Alas, I am envious!

It would seem to grade EF-40, but the gouges on the obverse may lower it a tad. That would put it in the range of value = $80. If dropped to VF-30, it would still check in at $54.

Last edited:

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one Sweet looking barber, Congrats!!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on that sweet crisp Barber CC. :occasion14: You sure did way better than me today.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one pretty Barber Quarter.
Right out the mint and into the ground.
Congratulations on a beautiful coin

OP
OP
Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks all! I've been so jealous looking at pics that others post of straight from the mint coins. I'm very happy to have finally dug one myself!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one beauty of a Barber quarter- congrats!!

-- Jeff --

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice looking Barber Quarter. I dug a nice barber today too, but yours is nicer. Grrrr..

alb1

Jan 15, 2014
Weselberg, Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx 3030, my favorite E-Trac & NEL Tornado. Garrett Carrot, (Previously, MXT PRO with D2 and SEF 10x12 coil)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice find. I would probably get that graded. :thumbsup:

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wonderful find. Thank you for sharing. Hope you do well on a return trip to that spot.

Vonclemen29

Apr 15, 2013
Central mississippi
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter commando, minelab xterra 505 9", 6" coil, minelab pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find man! Congrats. Only barber I've found is a dime, and it was minty also. Keep em coming. I'll be calling ya soon. As soon as beans are planted we'll get out.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful, crispy, crunchy, right out of the mint Barber, CC, congrats! Sub 8-)

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're not kidding when you say minty! What a fantastic Barber quarter, congrats.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread