124.8 KB · Views: 496
Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
nice and yeah check that V nic for a mint mark if you haven't already - if you have an S that really would be a miracle

HH

papa1956e9

May 11, 2011
That's awesome, way to go man. I'm picking up more nickels tomorrow so send me some of that luck.

HH everyone :icon_thumright:

Stang1968

Dec 14, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice box, but finding a shield would've made it even better!

OP
OP
LeoTrench-MAINE

LeoTrench-MAINE

Aug 7, 2011
Americas Maritime Province
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Liberty does NOT have a mint mark -so It's HALF a miricle... LOL

I like fate but I'm not gonna kiss a gift-horse in the mouth..

HH

Thanks for the replys.

Trench

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
LeoTrench-MAINE said:
The Liberty does NOT have a mint mark -so It's HALF a miricle... LOL

I like fate but I'm not gonna kiss a gift-horse in the mouth..

HH

Thanks for the replys.

Trench

any V nickel is still a nice score - I've have yet to score one. Yet.

HH

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME job!!! keep at those nickels, you're in a hot spot!!! love to see your posts, and pictures too! I have gotten a 1904 nickel in ~30 boxes. shows how rare they are.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
proof nickels are the most rare(or tied with V nics), I have gotten 1 1974-s proof nickel, and that V nickel. Waiting for my first proof penny :icon_thumleft:

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
BuffaloBoy said:
proof nickels are the most rare(or tied with V nics), I have gotten 1 1974-s proof nickel, and that V nickel. Waiting for my first proof penny :icon_thumleft:

This might be a dumb question, but I am unsure how to identify a proof nickel... How can someone determine a nickel is a proof with 100% certainty? I know they are not like halves where the proofs have a S mint mark. at least up to a certain point, if I remember right? How can you tell?

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
sweet finds!!! huge congrats! and to those who say proofs are tied with V's, ive gotten sooo many proof nickels i started throwing them back... :dontknow: Keep it up and hh! [R.I.P. Rich Hartford]

byrne3

Mar 4, 2011
TheRockDoc said:
BuffaloBoy said:

This might be a dumb question, but I am unsure how to identify a proof nickel... How can someone determine a nickel is a proof with 100% certainty? I know they are not like halves where the proofs have a S mint mark. at least up to a certain point, if I remember right? How can you tell?

They are just like halves.. The nickel proofs were minted at the same mint as the halves every year, so it is very similar..

1936 - 1942; 1950 - 1964 (all in Philadelphia; 1942 P is the only silver proof nickel)

1965 - 1967 (Philadelphia, SMS only)

1968 - 2011 ( All in San Francisco)

For nickels 1970 and before, proofs and business strikes were minted at the same facility so you have to distinguish them by their finish and not simply the mintmark. 1971 and later S-mint nickels are all proofs. There is also a 1971 No-S proof nickel. I think most proof finds are going to be the S-mint nickels. The 1961 above is a really nice find..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread