weekender

Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas-River Valley-Ft. Smith
Detector(s) used
Prism V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bear Story

Well, I been holding off on this one, pretty tame compared to most of what we been reading, but here is a little adventure for you.

I have 3 boys, the oldest being about 18-19 at the time
I have brought them all up outdoors every chance we get. I had talked
my wife into letting the oldest one go to the adult deer camp with me. Honey, he'll be
fine, I'll have him close to me the whole time.

That next day I showed him a bench off the side of the mountain where I
used to hunt when I was his age.(Long time ago) After a short tour, he decided that was the
place for him in the morning. After heading out of camp about 5:30am he headed out
on foot saying he would be back late for breakfast. I stayed within about 1/4 mile of him,
on top the mountain,in case he harvested a deer and needed a hand getting back up the mtn.
I headed back to camp about 10:oo am and he showed up a few minutes later, wide eyed and a little pale,

Son, by the looks of you, I'd say you have a story to tell. He did,
Dad, I was easing along to my spot and I heard the leaves rustling,and a bear cub stood up,
stretched, snorted and danced around. pretty cool, huh? Yes indeed, not something everyone gets
to see. Wait, he says, it gets better. The cub turned around and spotted me, snorted at me and then
2 more got up off the ground and started running away. Whoa, says I, 3 bears at one time, very rare
indeed, what a hunt. Well, there's more he said. After the cubs started out, I heard a noise behind me,
Momma bear was bedded behind them about 30 yards away, He had walked between them unknowingly.
Son, I said, what did you do? He said she charged at me, I raised my gun, she started huffing at me
and clicking her teeth, and ran after the cubs within about 15 yards of me.
Son, why did you not shoot her? It is legal to shoot a bear during deeer season, and especially if she
was charging at you. You would have been well withing your rights.
Well Dad,he said, I was thinking about it, I had already thumbed off the safety and was scoping her in
when I saw the she was wearing a collar and the cubs looked pretty small, So I let her go.
Isn't that what you taught me? Proud moment for me'

And, let's not tell mom about this just yet!!

-Weekender

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Crosse, you have gotten your wish. Judy (CWP ) has been banned for a year after you kept repeating "Judy" who you knew had been banned, so many times that our mod finally was forced to take action..However, she being bnned, does not leave you with cllean hands in the case of Judy, or Jodie, a different gal.

Last edited:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Well Crosse, you have gotten your wish. Judy (CWP ) has been banned for a year after you kept repeating "Judy" who you knew had been banned, so many times that our mod finally was forced to take action..However, she being bnned, does not leave you with cllean hands in the case of Judy, or Jodie, a different gal.
That sucks ! Ban 1 , ban both .

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ok back to basics. One trip I took 14(?) one pound packages of hamburger and frozen, then put them into an old Coleman cooler. Bought 20lbs of dry ice and put that in. Duck taped around the cooler seal (lid) put it in the back of the pickup truck and drove from San Antonio to El Paso. 560 miles second week in May 85 degrees or better. Picked up my brother and drove to southern Arizona. 90-95 degrees. Put the cooler in the tent in the AM after pulling out one of the packs of burger, to let it thaw. Resealed the cooler with duck tape. At the end of the week all the meat in the cooler was still frozen. If power goes out in your house and you have a freezer, put duck tape over the seal and the food will stay frozen a lot longer.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Now that I won't have to relog, we took the pound of burger and cooked it, drained it and added 2 cans of Ranch style beans (pintos) when it started to boil, took Kraft Singles and laid them on top. When they started to melt I stirred them in. Took a frying pan and heated the flour tortillas and made Burritos. Quick, easy, tasty, and filling. Now my brother and I were NOT what you would call cooks. LOL When we first started out we took cases of C rats. Found out if you mixed some of them they weren't that bad. LOL

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
When you have a base camp, you want 2 lanterns. One Coleman and one Butane. The Butane by the tent and the Coleman 50 feet away. When it is close to bed time, turn off the butane, wait 5 mins and slap the sides of the tent. All the bugs go to the Coleman. The Coleman burns for 4 hours and goes out for lack of air or fuel. Used wire coat hangers for hanging the lanterns down from tree limbs. Now a lot of you most likely know this but to me all hints help. Always brought a paper bag and some Permatex gasket sealer( ie Silicon Glue). If the tent gets a tear, tear off 2 pieces from the paper bag and smear the gasket sealer on both. Slap one on the inside of the tent and one on the outside. Bug proof and rain proof patch, without having to go to town for a new tent.

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes cwp got banned for a year, sure is a shame. I feel to blame for not reporting the initial attack on cwp on a needless warning post to me. Just like most here I don't go hitting that button. I know the mods can't keep up with everything, they are only human.

Cwp asked me by phone to let all her friends know that see is doing fine, and will miss everyone, will never forget our support, and will treasure us all. Yes she is quite a lady, and will be a catch for a real man some day.

Homar

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
shortfimer, you posted -- Still waiting on a book here....
coffee2.gif
As a matter of fact me too, get Oro to cracking.

But Senor Don Jose, we prefer to read an "Autobiography" rather than "Biography". Oro has a full plate as well and needs to write his own Book. This way, you get rich for your book and movie rights and Oro gets rich for his. Would you prefer Oro to write both and then become even richer, or spread the wealth, ( and knowledge ). In 20 or so more years, you will see Oro being picked on for dragging his feet on his book. :notworthy:

Is this the origin of NP's sock coffee ? Beginning of Sock Coffee.jpg

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Such a shame hey, TT, that the crafty pirates will no longer be sharing their brilliant and entertaining, not to mention researched, stories and legends with us.

Those of us that are in the spring of our treasure careers, could have really done with the guidance and support of successful veterans still making their mark and doing the business.

Oh well, trial and error will be the order of the day for now...

IP

Who knows, After becoming a new mother she may be up all night and in order to relax, finds this forum as that vehicle ? Hurry back Amy, you are one of only maybe a handful that can keep Senor Don Jose in check. :notworthy:

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Speaking of movies Don Jose, has that fellow who "accidentally" stumbled upon Tayopa been in contact with you ? After his initial post he seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. Speaking of falling off the face of the earth, I have not seen any posts from KXmember. He seemed to know all the locations, and most of the content, of everything buried anywhere in the world.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems that two important things are missing from the meals that we, all come here to keep going... the savory steak and the wonderful sharp steak knife.

In the case of the steak... our loss will eventually return for a new generation, some day.

As for the knife... well, we will not have a way to keep the beans from rolling off our proverbial plates.

We will mourn the loss of both,
But, we will celebrate the chip off the ole steak for Amy's blessing.

But we will miss the razor sharp knife that once cut the mashed potatoes and kept the beans on our plates, not to mention, the savory spices that are missing when we break bread at Don Jose's wonderful table, that he built for free, and invited everyone to eat and enjoy the savory spices that many bring with themselves.

#/:0{> ~

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey TT,

Most films that try and depict some form of adventure, history, politics, drama etc., will usually base it, sometimes extremely loosely, on event(s) in times gone by. As far as I am aware, they will also hire consultants to try and portray some form of authenticity. They do stretch things a bit if they believe it will help the plot and structure of the movie, but usually do not stay true to events due to budgets, timescales and story considerations.

But fact really is stranger than fiction in some instances.

IP

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah IPU...given national treasure's success it shows how much TH stories are attractive to the average person....
speaking of TH stories, we would be waiting your wonderful weekly yarns today or tomorrow !8-)

TT

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amigo:coffee2:I find it sad that she wont be with us, I am glad my burro is taking dancing classes,at least I will eventually have someone new to tango with,:laughing7:NP:cat:

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in the process of tying up the last of my tasks in connection with my forthcoming trip and will relate a true story from the Gallic people across the English Channel.

In 2014, a mademoiselle from Normandy decided that she wanted an extension to her property. She hired a small firm of local builders.

So far so good.

The builders came in and started digging the foundations in preparation for the new building. There was three chaps in the team - 20, 23 and 40 years of age. The owner left them to it whilst she attended work and they started the project for which they were hired. One day, whilst using an excavator to dig the earth, the bucket hit a hard object. They stopped and decided to investigate believing they might have hit a stone Boulder or some old buried iron or metal...

Once they looked a little closer, they came across something that the owner had obviously wanted to remain buried until they came back for it..., it turns out that the incredulous building team had uncovered a wooden box with 16 kgs of gold ingots and 600 golden $20 33 gram coins dating to the 1920s.

This is one of those occasions where lawful people can easily do something unlawful...

They decided to keep quiet and keep their discovery a secret. As they were alone, they carefully ensured that they had retrieved all the cache and surreptitiously left the site early whilst leaving one of their number to 'play' along and carry on as normal. Over the next few months, they continued with their building work but we're in a quandary to dispose of their considerable hoard. They tried to reach out to various people they believed could help them to sell the gold without raising any suspicion. Sure enough they made contact with a precious metal dealer who said he'd 'work' with them. This dealer took some of the gold to test and found it to be bonafide. He then requested the rest after finding buyers across Europe.

They received about $1.2 million for their illicit find. One of the builders in a rush to use his new found wealth, banked €300,000 in quick and large succession into his account. Naturally this aroused the suspicion of the authorities and the builder was picked up and questioned. Not being used to this and being totally unaware as to what happens in such circumstances, he quickly spilled the beans on the co-conspirators.

When the property owner found out, she was totally shocked and in a twist of irony said to the police that her final words to the builders had been "If you find any treasure, let me know!"

True story from Normandy.

IP

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amigo's and Amigo-ettes,:coffee2::hello:Talking about National Treasure,I am sure they did a lot of research,but,At the same time, they more than likely did a lot of research on other peoples research, but, that's the way things are, If you snooze, you can lose, So get to work Amigo,:laughing7: :whip2::whip2::whip2::whip2::whip2::whip2::hello:hello: NP:cat:

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Simon he hasn't. I still believe that he was at Tayopa #2, west of Yecora, an area that is complely covered with fileingss, but is not the Tayop, no 3, the actual Yayopa, the rchest of all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread