Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An old man that I used to visit found a cannon ball in his front yard when I was a kid. Man, I wanted that thing but he said it was too dangerous being it still had powder in it . I moved away and kept in touch with him over the years. Mr Parker was a walking history book. WW2 vet and Pearl Harbour survivor and a retired policemen he had lots of stuff to talk about. In 2002 I was stationed at Eglin AFB which is only about 100 miles from where I grew up so I would go by and see Mr Parker when I was able. Age slowed him down greatly and the once energetic man was slow moving but still witty and always fun to chat with.
I asked him about the old cannonball and he said well through the years I would call the museum and they did not want it because it was live but about a month ago I called and a fellow rushed down to pick it up. A month or so later I went by the museum and asked about Mr Parker's donation and they looked at the donation records and it showed no cannonball donations for the last couple of years. I guess some one that worked there got the ball and has it on display at their home or it was destroyed. :dontknow:
Mr Parker would always find stuff in his yard .There used to be a post office there built in the late 1800s and also the land was once an Indian village. He would find coins ,arrow heads pottery and he showed me a tomahawk that he found while digging a hole in his yard. He also covered up a huge bottle dump after he bought the property. He let me dig through it before he covered it up.I still have many cork bottles from there.I remember seeing old locks and porcelain doll heads that I paid no attention to back then..

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh - aren't people like that wonderful?

We have a gentleman here, Fred, who is 94 or 95 now. He goes out everyday, and his mind is sharper than mine, sometimes. His historical knowledge is unbelieveable. I could listen to him for hours on end - actually, I have.

You can go to his house, and it is one big historical library - newspapers, books, pictures - everything - catalogued and he can find whatever he is talking about in 2 minutes flat. His wife passed away about 25 years ago, and since then, he has re-done all his historical items (and not just from this area), and, instead of being packed in boxes, etc., his house is 99% bookshelves.

Black Hills history is, of course, his biggest passion, but, he remembers every thing he has ever read or been through. The museum will be getting his stuff when he passes, and what a treasure they will be getting.

Beth

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOW'DY FOLKS,

ALL THIS TALK ABOUT OLD FOLKS REMINDED ME OF A SMALL PIECE OF HISTORY THAT I STUMBLED INTO ABOUT TEN YEARS AGO.

MY OLD FRIEND JIM AND I WERE CHASIN' DOWN AN OLD PIECE OF FOLK LORE ABOUT A POSSIBLE SILVER MINE IN SOUTHERN MADISON COUNTY, AR. WE WERE ON AN OLDER GENTLEMAN'S PROPERTY. HE WAS IN HIS MID EIGHTIES, OR SO. HE HAD LIVED HIS ENTIRE LIFE ON THAT SAME LAND, AND HAD BEEN BORN IN AN OLD SHACK OF A HOUSE THAT STILL STOOD BEHIND THE HOUSE HE WAS LIVIN' IN AT THAT TIME.

HE WAS THE YOUNGEST OF THREE BOYS. THEY WERE POOR FOLKS MAKING A LIVING OFF THE LAND, BUT HE HAD FOUND WHAT HE THOUGHT WAS A CHUNK OF SILVER. HE JUST KNEW THEY WERE GOING TO BE RICH. HIS BROTHERS DIDN'T SEE IT THAT WAY AND THEY TORMENTED HIM TILL HE LOST HOPE AND IN A FIT OF ANGER HE THREW THE CHUNK AS FAR AS HE COULD THROW IT, NEVER TO SEE IT AGAIN. THE BOYS STILL LOOKED FOR THE MINE WHILE PLAYIN' IN THE WOODS. THEY STUMBLED ACROSS A SMALL OUTCROPPING OF SOFT LEAD ONE DAY. THEY KNEW IT WASN'T THE SAME AS THE BOY HAD FOUND, BUT THEY MADE GOOD USE OF IT, AS THEY WOULD TAKE THEIR HATCHETS AND KNIVES AND SHAVE OFF QUARTER SIZE PIECES, THAT HE SAID, WOULD CURL UP AS THEY SHAVED THEM OFF. THEY WOULD HAMMER THEM INTO A TIGHT COIL AND USE THEM FOR FISHING WEIGHTS.

ABOUT FIVE YEARS LATER, ONE OF THOSE MADE IT'S WAY FROM A BEDROCK CRACK INTO THE BOTTOM OF MY GOLD PAN, JUST A FEW MILES DOWN STREAM.

IF NOT FOR SITTING AND LISTENING TO THE OLD MAN TELL ABOUT HIS YOUTH, I PROBABLY WOULD HAVE JUST THROWN IT AWAY. BUT BECAUSE I LISTENED, A GAINED A PIECE OF HISTORY.

I DON'T THINK I WOULD VALUE IT ANY MORE IF IT HAD BEEN GOLD. I WISH HE WERE STILL ALIVE SO I COULD SHOW HIM THAT LITTLE CHUNK OF LEAD.

I POSTED PICTURES OF IT ON THE "WHAT IS THIS" SECTION HERE ON TN BACK IN MAY. FOLKS MADE SEVERAL GOOD GUESSES, AND TIREDIRON CAME THE CLOSEST.

I'LL TRY TO POST SOME PIC'S HERE.

OUR ELDERS HAVE SOME OF OUR MOST WORTHWHILE TREASURES. WE NEED TO LISTEN.

:coffee2: :coffee2:
MIKEL

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#/;0{> ~ (c)

Attachments

• WHAT IS IT 001.1.JPG
    WHAT IS IT 001.1.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,326
  • WHAT IS IT 003.1.JPG
    WHAT IS IT 003.1.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,329
  • WHAT IS IT 005.1.JPG
    WHAT IS IT 005.1.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,322
  • WHAT IS IT 001.1.JPG
    WHAT IS IT 001.1.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,293
  • WHAT IS IT 003.1.JPG
    WHAT IS IT 003.1.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,279
  • WHAT IS IT 005.1.JPG
    WHAT IS IT 005.1.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,301
Last edited:

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

That Fish Fry, Has Been Calling..... Don Jose ........ Don Jose ........ The Coffee has been ratting the door on the cupboard.... Don Jose .......... Don Jose .........

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

This should keep yuh fer a Spell My Friend.... ;D

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don Jose , That is a life of high adventure right there. Yes, you need to wright a book!! :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
birdman said:
Don Jose , That is a life of high adventure right there. Yes, you need to wright a book!! :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Ditto! No more putting it off amigo, time to get cracking. :read2: :thumbsup:

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DON JOSE,

I WENT BACK ON THIS SITE TO FIND THE NOTE THAT YOU SENT ME,,, POKIN' THE SPURS ABOUT GETTING MY BOOK DONE FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS.... :icon_scratch:
SOUND FAMILIAR?

AFTER GOIN' BACK AND LOOKING, I THINK MAYBE YOU SHOULD PUBLISH THIS SITE.
BARRIN' THE POSSIBLE LAW SUITS AND SHOOTIN'S THAT MIGHT HAPPEN!!!

THERE IS A LOT OF GOOD STUFF RIGHT HERE TO READ..

BUT YOU DO NEED TO WRITE A BOOK. I'D BUY ONE!

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :read2:
MIKEL

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
OK el Tropical Tramp - what is it going to take to convince you to write that book - a signed petition? Consider it signed! :read2: :thumbsup:
Roy

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll buy three copies. :read2: :read2: :read2:
One for me, one for my grandson, and one for the outhouse. :tongue3:

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gents men: I thank you, especially goody guy, " the out house" sigh, that is were the 'serious' reading takes place. Gracias. Hmmm on second thought, that is where most of the criticism is, and unworthy pages are destined to end up down below. hmmm

Don Jose de La Mancha

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
Gents men: I thank you, especially goody guy, " the out house" sigh, that is were the 'serious' reading takes place. Gracias. Hmmm on second thought, that is where most of the criticism is, and unworthy pages
Don Jose de La Mancha

Um, lets not become like the Roman emperor who fined a senator for carrying a coin with the Emperor's image on it into the "foul and noisesome places" (latrine) - a bit of aftermarket reader editing work would only harm the value of the book for the reader. Besides you always have the defense strategy of having the book printed on the extra-glossy paper, and the same kind which causes paper cuts so easily! :o :o :o :o ::) :tongue3:

Are you convinced yet buddy? Need a steady flow of hot coffee to get the words going? :coffee2: :coffee2:
'Oro de Tayope' ;D

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UHM.....

JUST SO WE ARE ALL "ON THE SAME PAGE",

THIS BOOK WILL BE IN ENGLISH..... RIGHT?!? :dontknow:

:read2: :coffee2: :read2: :coffee2: :read2: :coffee2: :hello2:

MIKEL

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok Ok it will be started, but since it took many years to find Tayopa, don't expect to find it in your mail box for editing tomorrow. will be bk posting stories in the morning.

Prospector, the correct word is Spanglish.

Don Jose de La Mancha

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT NEWS!!!

THAT IS AWESOME!!! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

I CAN'T WAIT TO READ IT, AND SPANGLISH IT IS. I CAN ALREADY HEAR YOUR VOICE, READING IT ALOUD!

:coffee2: :coffee2: :read2:

MIKEL

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
Ok Ok it will be started, but since it took many years to find Tayopa, don't expect to find it in your mail box for editing tomorrow. will be bk posting stories in the morning.

Prospector, the correct word is Spanglish.

Don Jose de La Mancha

:hello2: :icon_thumleft: I am quoting you here so that you can't change your mind! :tongue3: :laughing9: :notworthy: There is NO hurry on this either amigo, no need to try to rush it so as to get those fresh copies ready by tomorrow morning. Most of us are pretty patient and I am certainly content to wait until NEXT WEEK! :read2: :thumbsup: :tongue3: :laughing7: :notworthy: So to quote my own mother, take your time by all means, but HURRY! ;D ::)

Signed very patient Oroblanco

:coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good morning my friends: a continuation of the Germans / Mexico/ and the Us.

During W-2 they modernized that old radio tower from Zimmerman's days in in WW-1 and again reported to Germany any and all news daily, including ship movements.

About this time there was a tremendous storm and after it had passed by, a rubber life raft was found overturned in Yaqui territory. Near by were the bodies of an German Naval officer and two enlisted men. A curious point was that one of the enlisted men had been killed by small arms fire?

Upon searching the Officer, a waterproof pouch of documents was found. these were taken to Hermosilo for translation, however it was intercepted by the Britlanders again and the contents were printed on the local news paper I believe.

Apparently the German Officer had arrived in a submarine and the officer had been sent ashore to meet with potential saboteurs from the Us. The pouch on the Officer said that the sub was carrying the where with all for the saboteur's plans for the southern US.

Nothing further developed, but with the sinking of two Mexican oil tankers by the Germans they were ordered out of Mexico.

One day my AG pilot friend in Obregon asked me if I knew much about marine salvage. Upon questioning him, I found that he had spotted a submarine lying partially on it's side just outside of the entrance to the Obregon area, Guivali. He said that he was just flying around when he saw it clearly in about 80 ft of water. Everything had been just right, the sea was calm, the lighting was perfect etc. He never again saw it clearly.

Naturally he quietly began investigating and uncovered the story of the drowned Germans. Putting two and two together, he decided that this sub was how the Germans brought the financing for the Espionage program.

However no one could explain how it had been sunk, or even how it had managed to get there, nor where were the crew?. The entire travel route was under the very noses of groups of B-24 pilots training for anti sub work .

later, talking to his wife, she told me that Mexico maintained a pow camp in Manzanillo, and had many German Pow's. Her brother was an officer there.

So there it sits, a lonely relic from WW2, apparently still with it's crew inside and with it's cargo of ?? for financing the Espeonage program.
a cargo of $$$, Gold, drugs,, or ???.

Any one for salvaging?®@

Don Jose de La Mancha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread