Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This morning as I was at the kitchen counter eating my fried eggs and fresh Mangoes, I found myself 'actually' looking at the person on the other side, my Bert. Instead of a slim 17 year old girl putting her life and happiness into my hands, me, a pennyiless adventure on my way to Brasil where I supposedly was to pick up a land grant, a gal who has stuck by me through the thick and the thin - and there has been both = she was now a matronly 70 + old woman, a little overweight, doppy boobs, thinning grey hair, and still with faith in me, I hope that I justified it.

I remembered some of the hard times, where I had to shoot dove and rabbits, catch Bass in our local resevoir, in order to have something to eat, and the times where she happily spent over $ 100,000 on our son, other times when she spent $ 50,000 on our grandson etc. she is a family orientated gal.

I also remembered times where her life literally was at stake due to one of my adventures,, and she again came through with flying colors. She only worried about 'me'..

Through it all, she has been 'MY Bert'. WE have't been apart in the last 10 years for a single day - anyoe else but my Bert and you would have had a terrific case of Cabin fever, she has proven to be a gem.

When I frst found out just how young she actually she was (I was 32) I almost called it off, then my mother stepped in and said "nonsense, by the time that she (me ) is 80 or 90 there is no practical difference." She was sooo right, I had a very wise and beautiful mother.

We had a grape vinyard in St Helena, Calif. a beautiful area, for some reson I still can't reason or understand, I left it to come backto Mexico Perhaps there is substance in that old saying "that once you have had the dust of Mexico settle on your heart, you cannot be comfortable any where else.

What all this means is that If I had it to do again, I couldn't have made a better choice. Frankly I love my Bert more than ever, for herself. not for sex. So times have passed , but then I am no longer as I was, and what's left is the true person - I was extremely fortunate to have her to share in my life, uncomplaimg
Amigo and Amigo-ette, Good for both of you to be kindred spirits, Your friend ,and Amigo.:hello: NP:cat:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rarest of jewels cannot compete with that treasure.

Nor can it compete with the poetry of the heart.

#/;0) ♡♥

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Don't know if this story has been told before here or not. Tombstone got a new assayer in town and all of his assays were bad/poorly. They got mad and were going to lynch him. "Wait, we'll give him one last chance." They took a broken grindstone and broke a piece off and took it to him for an assay. A couple hours went by and when he came out, he was excited. "I ran every test on that sandstone and on the last one it showed rich in Silver." "Hang him!" All the way to the tree he kept saying "I didn't understand why you wanted and assay on that sandstone, but it is so rich it is scary." Instead of hanging him, they took him back and he dissolved it and said, "Look, it is so rich you can see the silver coming out of it!" They went to the man that made the grindstones and asked where he go his sandstone for the grindstones. "Over there the whole hill side is sandstone." Sugarloaf Mountain was one of the riches strikes for Silver after the Tombstone mines hit the underground river and flooded all the mines there.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Always wondered why they never pumped the water from the mines to use as water for crops, ect. It's not like they have a lot of water around there. 3 times they have tried to pump it out to get to the silver there, but never thought of just using the water. Why not irrigate with it? have no idea why they don't use it.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
This morning as I was at the kitchen counter eating my fried eggs and fresh Mangoes, I found myself 'actually' looking at the person on the other side, my Bert. Instead of a slim 17 year old girl putting her life and happiness into my hands, me, a pennyiless adventure on my way to Brasil where I supposedly was to pick up a land grant, a gal who has stuck by me through the thick and the thin - and there has been both = she was now a matronly 70 + old woman, a little overweight, doppy boobs, thinning grey hair, and still with faith in me, I hope that I justified it.

I remembered some of the hard times, where I had to shoot dove and rabbits, catch Bass in our local resevoir, in order to have something to eat, and the times where she happily spent over $ 100,000 on our son, other times when she spent $ 50,000 on our grandson etc. she is a family orientated gal.

I also remembered times where her life literally was at stake due to one of my adventures,, and she again came through with flying colors. She only worried about 'me'..

Through it all, she has been 'MY Bert'. WE have't been apart in the last 10 years for a single day - anyoe else but my Bert and you would have had a terrific case of Cabin fever, she has proven to be a gem.

When I frst found out just how young she actually she was (I was 32) I almost called it off, then my mother stepped in and said "nonsense, by the time that she (me ) is 80 or 90 there is no practical difference." She was sooo right, I had a very wise and beautiful mother.

We had a grape vinyard in St Helena, Calif. a beautiful area, for some reson I still can't reason or understand, I left it to come backto Mexico Perhaps there is substance in that old saying "that once you have had the dust of Mexico settle on your heart, you cannot be comfortable any where else.

What all this means is that If I had it to do again, I couldn't have made a better choice. Frankly I love my Bert more than ever, for herself. not for sex. So times have passed , but then I am no longer as I was, and what's left is the true person - I was extremely fortunate to have her to share in my life, uncomplaimg
My friend , I , too , am blessed with such a lady . She has stood my back all these years . At times with a pistol in her hand . I can not praise her enough . We weathered the hard times and have reached a comfort zone as long as we remember to live within our means .

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
One more Hint when camping. Make sure you have a paper bag and some silicon glue( Permatex gasket sealer) . If you get a tear in the tent, tear the paper bag into 2 pieces big enough to cover the tear. Put the silicon glue on both pieces and rub them together to spread the glue. Put one on the outside and the other on the inside. Makes a water proof and bug proof patch for the rest of your trip.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
My brother and I would go out either the 1st, and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd week of May, or the first and second week after Labor Day. That way all the kids are in school, and the tourists aren't out sight seeing. That way if we found something, we didn't have to watch over our shoulder that much. Wish we had to look over our shoulder. LOL

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Always had snake/rat shot in the pistols for the first 2 rounds. That way if snakes, np. Also if animals attacking(rabid or bears), both shots into the face of the animal, then they can't see or smell you, and then it would have been stand to the side and put them down.

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always had snake/rat shot in the pistols for the first 2 rounds. That way if snakes, np. Also if animals attacking(rabid or bears), both shots into the face of the animal, then they can't see or smell you, and then it would have been stand to the side and put them down.

Howdy audigger53,

That's great advice, reminds me of a lion hunting friend from Frio Co. I know I have shared his story before, but am to lazy to look it up.

He used to run Walkers, and Walker crosses, they tend to tree more Bobcats than lion when you just turn them loose at night. One time he was hunting close to Freer, Texas where you can practically see over the brush in most places with no place for a large cat to climb.
That night he was hunting alone as he did many times, and the hounds happened to have a lion bayed in some thick brush. His flashlight was getting dim by the time he reached the action, they didn't make flashlights like they do now. After he shot the lion with his .22 revolver, that's when he realized the gun was loaded with rat shot for the snakes.
He could barely hear his truck running, it was too far to go for hollow points, and the dogs were now charging the lion. He was afraid to lose some good dogs, and looked for a large stick, which are hard to come by in brush land. Somehow he managed to find a stout short stick, and confessed to me at this point that he had never been so afraid in his life. I can only imagine what it was like to kill a wounded lion all alone in the middle of the night with a dim flashlight in one hand, and a short stick on the other.
From that night on he always turned the dogs lose a few hours before daybreak, that way when they did tree, or bay a lion there would be light.

Homar

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
0430, j just finished 4 mangos, suffer you poor unfortunates that have never had a tree ripened fresh Mango, gonna have Nopales with eggs this morning..Nopales for your poor unfortusates, are immature Cactus pads. Thay are cleaned. then sliced into string beans size, then mixed wit the eggs. they taste similar to string beans, but better..

Back to treasure hunting.

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amigo's:coffee2: You made my taste buds water,so I went through the cabinet to see what I could make thats different, I had been cooking pork shoulder for about two hours, after looking I made up my mind to make a pork and macaroni goulash,that with some good french bread should hit the spot today,:hello:, Thanks for making me hungry Amigo, NP:cat:

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That remonds me of some of my on the trail food. Several times, I existed entirely on pinole, diried, ground, parched corn, just mix with water and you are fininshed with your meal. a tablespon full, a meal, course I cheated wth coffee :laughing7: Made a nourishing food, good for the first few days, then sorta boring, hence the cofffee. Seems like a perfect food for the superstitions. It's a old Indian preparation.

Even made several trips using Chia seeds for food,very nutricious

Aztec Black Chia Seeds

What are your favorite trail foods ?

Incidentaly, Chia grows in all of our arroyos as a weed.

Last edited:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My trails are much shorter now days. Jerky, sundried tomatoes, nuts and raisins. And lots of water.
#/;0{> ~

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That remonds me of some of my on the trail food. Several times, I existed entirely on pinole, diried, ground, parched corn, just mix with water and you are fininshed with your meal. a tablespon full, a meal, course I cheated wth coffee :laughing7: Made a nourishing food, good for the first few days, then sorta boring, hence the cofffee. Seems like a perfect food for the superstitions. It's a old Indian preparation.
:laughing7:laughing7:
Even made several trips using Chia seds for food,very nutricious

Aztec Black Chia Seeds

What are your favorite trail foods ?

Incidentaly, Chia grows in all of our arroyos as a weed.[/QUOTE ,
Amigo:laughing7 I always heard chia works very good to make ceramic pets,:laughing7 :laughing7::laughing7 :hello:NP:cat:

Last edited:

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
New flashlight technology has arrived in the form of LED torchlights. These lights are very small and have incredible power and longevity. The navy seals were the first to use them, then the military and now police and fire and rescue use a smaller and less powerful model. They are not cheap, but you can buy a Chinese knockoff for less money. The military ones are made by Shadowhawk. They will blind a person or an animal for about 30 seconds when shined in their eyes. With the switch in the rear of the light, police hold in their left hand(if right handed), which leaves your right hand empty to use a gun, knife, club, stick or rock to defend yourself. When use in Alaska, they provoked a grizzly bear to charge and then stopped him immediately when they shined the light into his eyes. Of course they had men with guns to back them up in case it didn't work. Now many people are buying these for home protection as well. Good luck. rockhound

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread