Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

bonuntr

Jun 7, 2012
Utah's Outback
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 LE, Garrett Eagle Eye Deepseeker, Goldbug 2, Bounty Hunter 505, Whites Super 500 Deepseeker, (old, but fun)!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little fellar passing through the center of an old treasure yard....I let him go, as sometimes they make a great supper, and others, if you are stranded make a great survival food...

passingthru.JPG

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heheheh....thank you, Marius...I just love a man who thinks on his feet...:-*

Unfortunately...sigh...his head is so hard the stick would do very little to convince him of the error of his ways. I'm thinking a few well placed pellets to his hind parts might shorten the distance and soften his attitude just fine.....:wink:

View attachment 1454067

The more I read here, the happier I am that I always walk BEHIND the ladies. Sometimes fairly close behind, other times much farther behind......

JB

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe nor the stick or the pellets would make any damage . You forgot , he is Don Jose de la Mancha and wears armor .

How could I forget, I've had to listen to his infernal clanking for nigh on ten years now. ::)

I'm not worried, even the high and mighty Don Jose de la Mancha has to go sometime.

armordump_zpswl2itxaw.jpg

:coffee2:
smiley%20angel%20whistling_zpssldpfk1p.gif

Last edited:

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
err, ah, Davi,n which end ???? :coffee2::coffee2::coffee2::occasion14:Guess who this is for ??? As for that broads remark. i SHALL LIVE FOREVER>Well maybe mot quite forever,

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a given, Jefe, all those voodoo love spells have pickled your gizzard. :-*

I was referring to the call of nature....even the most gallant of knights must heed the call eventually. And I have developed endless patience....thanks to you, of course. :tongue3:

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Not as bad as the ones in Norfolk, Va. Back in 67 saw a "Bar maid" that had 6 wedding and engagement rings and only looked to be about 25 or so. Talk about a turn off!

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
A little fellar passing through the center of an old treasure yard....I let him go, as sometimes they make a great supper, and others, if you are stranded make a great survival food...

View attachment 1454117
But they have so many bones! I tried it once after a slight argument with one, The 16 gauge ended the argument by blowing his head off. Was using #4 shot as I was really after Jack Rabbits. Tried to make a hat band out of him, but it didn't cure right. First and last try for that. The hatband did last for about 6 months.

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But they have so many bones! I tried it once after a slight argument with one, The 16 gauge ended the argument by blowing his head off. Was using #4 shot as I was really after Jack Rabbits. Tried to make a hat band out of him, but it didn't cure right. First and last try for that. The hatband did last for about 6 months.

Equal parts denatured alcohol and pure vegetable glycerin. :icon_thumright:

snake_fleshing_halfway_zpsf6aftjnq.jpg

After fleshing, rinse the skin off, pat dry, and place the pieces in a jar full of equal parts alcohol and glycerin. Be sure that all of the skin is submerged and the skin is free of air bubbles that would prevent contact between the skin and the tanning solution. Seal it up tight. Keep the jar in a cool, dark place ( a closet will work) for 2 to 3 days, stirring the contents once or twice a day.

snake_in_jar12_zpslnuja8rf.jpg

Remove the snake from the solution and rinse it again with water, removing any additional membrane that you couldn’t get in the first round of fleshing. Then rub the flesh side with a little more glycerin....and hang to dry for a couple of days.

snake_hanging_dry2_zps2za5cuja.jpg

They will turn out perfect, very supple and soft. It's normal for them to shed a few scales at first, so don't sweat it, you will end up with a very nice hat band to grace your chapeau when finished.

two_snakes_zpsoo6x8sb3.jpg

This one's been around the globe a few times. :icon_farao:

DSC_0647_zpslpf5cema.jpg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Equal parts denatured alcohol and pure vegetable glycerin. :icon_thumright:

snake_fleshing_halfway_zpsf6aftjnq.jpg

After fleshing, rinse the skin off, pat dry, and place the pieces in a jar full of equal parts alcohol and glycerin. Be sure that all of the skin is submerged and the skin is free of air bubbles that would prevent contact between the skin and the tanning solution. Seal it up tight. Keep the jar in a cool, dark place ( a closet will work) for 2 to 3 days, stirring the contents once or twice a day.

snake_in_jar12_zpslnuja8rf.jpg

Remove the snake from the solution and rinse it again with water, removing any additional membrane that you couldn’t get in the first round of fleshing. Then rub the flesh side with a little more glycerin....and hang to dry for a couple of days.

snake_hanging_dry2_zps2za5cuja.jpg

They will turn out perfect, very supple and soft. It's normal for them to shed a few scales at first, so don't sweat it, you will end up with a very nice hat band to grace your chapeau when finished.

two_snakes_zpsoo6x8sb3.jpg

This one's been around the globe a few times. :icon_farao:

DSC_0647_zpslpf5cema.jpg

Well ,well. She is good for something. ( Ducks left hook..).

Good info Dil.. should a rattler want to have a stand off with me,and if I can hit it while swearing bravely and blazing away.
Skin looks better on a snake though. From a distance too.

Another little garter snake yielded the right of way yesterday. It is welcome in the field though. No threat to humans, just to crawly wiggly things.
A great arrangement for me.

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well ,well. She is good for something. ( Ducks left hook..).

Good info Dil.. should a rattler want to have a stand off with me,and if I can hit it while swearing bravely and blazing away.
Skin looks better on a snake though. From a distance too.

Another little garter snake yielded the right of way yesterday. It is welcome in the field though. No threat to humans, just to crawly wiggly things.
A great arrangement for me.

It's not the left hook ya have ta watch out for. :tongue3:

il_fullxfull.307261305_zpsxkrlliom.jpg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Man, you do like to play with fire, don't you? I suspect that the snake skin tanning trick would work with other kinds of skin as well......

JB

My hide ain't worth the skinnin.
Heck ,just cutting out my tiny tattoos would ruin a good blade. Probably sour it for life too.

But yes. Must reach toward pretty flame repeatedly.

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, you do like to play with fire, don't you? I suspect that the snake skin tanning trick would work with other kinds of skin as well......

JB

Aw, he's pretty safe.....unless he tries to bite me, then all bets are off.

I'm really mellow....most of the time. (Don't believe a thing Don Jose tells you otherwise) :cat:

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Ditlihi,

Looks like that solution would help Don Jose.:dontknow: For about 35 years I wore RS skins on my hats. Just last week an old friend called me, and after catching up on things, asked if I still wore snake skins on my hat. I would just flesh them out good, throw salt on the de-fleshed side, and let them get a sun tan without any sun tanning solution.:laughing7: Nice boots. :occasion14:

audigger53, most of the rattlers around here average five pounds, we fillet them. You just have to start at one end like taking out a loin, then you can just run your fingers down as you pull with the other hand. Nice boneless nuggets.:icon_thumright:

Homar

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread