Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All

Grab a some of Don Jose famous sock coffee and pull up seat I have an interesting yarn for you. In regards to proceeds of crime becoming modern buried loot. The following story is from recently as 2005.

Although a crime is crime you some times have to admire audacity of some criminals. Have any of you heard about the Banco Central robbery in Fortaleza, Brazil?

Banco Central robbery in Fortaleza, Brazil.

images.jpg

The Guinness Book of World Records awarded this heist the title of "greatest robbery of a bank," and the plot sounds like something straight out of a movie.

At 6 p.m. on Friday, August 6, 2005, in downtown Fortaleza, Avenida Dom Manuel was packed with Brazilians racing home to shower and eat before crowding into the beach huts lining the boardwalk of this coastal city. Little did they know, 13 feet beneath the asphalt, honking and clatter, one of the greatest heists in history was already underway.

brazil-bank-robbery.jpg.838x0_q80.jpg

The haul from the Banco Central was 165 million reais — roughly $70 million USD all in 50 real bills that had been set aside for sorting to determine which notes were damaged and needed to be destroyed. Stacked up, they would have reached 108 feet and weighed a ton. So it would’ve been a massive task to get them through the 260-foot-long tunnel that led from the serrated hole in the ceramic floor of the bank, under the avenue and into the back of a store a block away.

3000.jpg

Three months earlier, the robbers rented their cover, a store they fronted with a farcically parochial sign: “Synthetic Grass.” When questioned later, neighbors recalled not thinking much of the new business, or the trucks filled with 30 tons of dirt that drove in and out for weeks. When bank employees discovered what had happened on Monday, the criminals (police say 25 were involved) were already divided into 11 cars headed in different directions throughout Brazil, and the details that emerged shocked the nation.

85032_gettyimages114460754.jpg

The tunnel they had dug, filling all those truckloads, was a masterful engineering project: 28 inches in diameter, complete with wooden beams, ladders, plastic lining, wiring and even an air-conditioning and ventilation system. The cash had been pulled manually through the tunnel — which police estimated had cost nearly $200,000 to construct — via basins secured to ropes squeaking through a pulley system.

It would appear they’d thought of everything: Outside, police would later find a large amount of white powder — chalk the robbers had used to cover their fingerprints. And they nearly succeeded, except for one print, their first slip.

The second mistake? A member of the gang bought 10 cars at once the next day, paying cash and raising red flags in this poor region of Brazil. Improbably, the police managed to catch up with the trailer carrying those cars in another state, and inside three of the vehicles were bundles of 50 real bills.

The nabbed man squealed, taking down the group. As with most heists, they’d had an inside man — a bank employee who’d tipped them off to the location of motion sensors, alarms and the fact that the cameras filmed but did not record. The biggest shock? The mayor of Boa Viagem, a podunk town south of Fortaleza, was also in on it, and had fronted some of the money to build the tunnel, which made the town an attractive hideout for many of the suspects.

Three dozen of them were accused, and 26 ended up in jail — for 133 crimes. “Armadillo,” nicknamed for his digging skills, was nabbed at his favorite bakery in São Paulo and sentenced to 17 years, later reduced to two. “Big Boss,” the tunnel’s engineer, escaped prison in 2011 and is still on the run. But things may have turned out best for those stuck in prison. While on the lam, “Little Fernando” was kidnapped, held for ransom and killed, his bullet-riddled body found on a rural roadside.

The fallout of the decade-old crime, in fact, is still playing out. The ringleader, aka “The German,” was arrested in Brasília three years later and slapped with a lengthy sentence; more recently, a judge found him guilty of money laundering and tacked on another 80 years. Antônio Reginaldo de Araujo, who police believe had become a narcotrafficking kingpin of a São Paulo neighborhood, escaped jail on Father’s Day last year, but was recaptured this summer driving a car stocked with cocaine and cell phones.

In the end, 20 million of the 165 million reais — about $8 million of the $70 million — were recouped, leaving little hope any more will be found. According to the police chief in charge of the investigation, Antônio Celso dos Santos, “there’s no way to recover more of the money” now that so much time has passed. Some say the bills are buried in the desert?

Clearly amigos much of money has been disbursed. But I have no doubt for the ones still in prison or have already been murdered that there is still caches hidden all over Brazil perhaps over 50 million.

No doubt in years to come there will be a whole host of treasure hunters in the future looking for some of the proceeds of that crime?

Coffee anyone?

Kanacki

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello my friends its wet day.

So with out much to do I am lurking here posting some yarns. Is there any sleuths among you out there? Perhaps smart enough to take down a missing treasure. There is 5 million reward offered?

The art world is strange beast my friends as few really understand art? The optimist view is artwork is appreciated for artwork itself. The Cynic will say the artwork is front for the very wealthy to hide money from the tax department. Think about how many large corporations in their foyers have very expensive artworks in them or owned by them but on loan to museums and art galleries as patrons of those. How does one determine a price for such artworks? So in effect art is like an artificial currency like bitcoin.

Yet some artworks are supposedly worth hundreds of millions. Cynics say art is used like bitcoin as artificial current to hide assets from taxable income. Authorities look the other way because all Ceo's, Politicians and most influential people hide their money in plain site under the mask of arts and culture?

Have any of you heard about The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum robbery in Boston?

On March 18, 1990, two men disguised as police officers walked into the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston and told the security guard they were responding to a call. The guard let them enter, but once inside, they handcuffed that guard and a second one, and locked them in the basement.

They got away with 13 extremely valuable pieces of art worth $500 million, including Rembrandt’s "Storm on the Sea of Galilee" (1633),

600px-Rembrandt_Christ_in_the_Storm_on_the_Lake_of_Galilee.jpg

"A Lady and Gentleman in Black" (1633)

600px-A_lady_and_gentleman_in_black,_by_Rembrandt.jpg

and a self portrait from 1634; Vermeer’s "The Concert" (1658–1660);

600px-Vermeer_The_concert.JPG

Govaert Flinck’s "Landscape with an Obelisk" (1638);

800px-Rembrandt_Harmensz._van_Rijn_076.jpg

five Edgar Degas’ impressionist works; and Edouard Manet’s "Chez Tortoni" (1878–1880).

Édouard_Manet_Chez_Tortoni.jpg

To this day, no one knows who the robbers were or where they hid the goods from the largest theft of private property in history. Empty frames hang in the museum as placeholders for when the stolen works are returned. The Gardner Museum is offering a $5 million reward for information leading to the recovery of these works in good condition.

Anyone seeking answers to this treasure trove of art should ask themselves who would have the capacity to buy such artworks to begin with?

Coffee?

Kanacki

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all

Contionuing the yarn of boston art theft?

According to the FBI, the stolen artwork was moved through the region and offered for sale in Philadelphia during the early 2000s. They believe the thieves were members of a criminal organization based in the mid-Atlantic and New England. They also claim to have targeted two suspects, although they have not been publicly identified and are now deceased.

Boston gangster Bobby Donati, murdered in 1991 as a result of ongoing gang wars, has been cited as a possible collaborator in the heist.

Robert_Donati_Portrait.jpg

Significant evidence suggests that Hartford, Connecticut gangster Robert Gentile knows the location of the works, although he denies involvement. Robert Gentile is an old man now in jail unable to walk. However he is not talking.

MIW5PFBT6ZA3PMMCBIW267QCRQ.jpg

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) took control of the case on the grounds that the artwork would likely cross state lines. They have conducted hundreds of interviews with probes stretching across the world involving Scotland Yard, Japanese and French authorities, private investigators, museum directors, and art dealers.

The FBI believes the thieves were members of a criminal organization based in the mid-Atlantic and New England, and that the stolen paintings were moved through Connecticut and the Philadelphia area in the years following the theft. Some of the art may have been offered for sale in Philadelphia in the early 2000s, including The Storm on the Sea of Galilee; however, their knowledge of what happened to the works after the attempted sale is limited.

The FBI stated it believed it knew the identity of the thieves in 2013, but in 2015 announced that they were now deceased. They have declined to identify the individuals.

Here is drawing of 2 of men involved below.

Sketches_of_Suspects_Isabella_Stewart_Gardner_Museum_Theft.jpg

The FBI believe the thieves were amateur criminals, not experts commissioned to steal particular works. Some investigators believe the works were destroyed, explaining why they have not reappeared?

Theories on the theft include that it was organized by the Irish Republican Army in order to raise money or bargain for the release of imprisoned comrades. Another theory states Whitey Bulger was the ringleader of the theft. At the time of the heist, he was Boston's top crime boss and an FBI informant.

But at the end of the day there are only theories?

However the way some paints was torn from the frames do suggest amateurs as damaging the painting decreases the resale value of the painting. And the fact 16th century painting are extremely fragile as the paint cracks and peels over time if not kept in climate control environment. I do not think for one moment that paintings have been destroyed as it defeats the purpose?

However it may be possible hidden in some ones attic or in a storage locker valuable paintings worth about 500 million could be still hidden somewhere?

Where my friends is 500 million dollar question? And a 5 million dollar reward for the answer?

Coffee anyone?

Kanacki

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahh , notable loot of thieves.
Spaggiari and the Nice (in France) bank job in 1976.
An interesting job with the contents of 400 safety deposit boxes.
An ex girlfriend of one gang member set the previously puzzled police in motion with a tip. (And a single fingerprint had been obtained earlier as well. )

[None of the proceeds of the robbery were ever found.]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Spaggiari

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all

in regards to Bobby Donati In recent years, however, he has been identified as the mastermind behind the 1990 theft of art worth $500 million from Boston's Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, the largest art theft ever; there are some accounts that link his death to that crime instead.

It has been reported that Donati stole the art in an attempt to get his boss, Vincent M. Ferrara, released from jail in order to ensure he would not be killed by the rival faction, which was gaining control of the Patriarca family at that time. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), which had him under heavy surveillance at the time of his death, has not seemed interested in him as a suspect in the theft, which it is still investigating.

the story goes....

No suspects have ever been officially named in the killing, although the files of a state assistant attorney general involved in organized-crime investigations at that time list David Turner, a member of the Patriarca faction loyal to Salemme who has also been suspected of involvement in the Gardner theft, as perhaps having committed the crime.

It is believed by law enforcement that Donati was likely murdered by other mobsters loyal to Salemme, possibly in retaliation for involvement, actual or perceived, in the failed attempt on their boss's life two years earlier. Donati was the second of six mob figures killed during the early 1990s.

Many of the victims' bodies were found, as he was, in the trunks of their vehicles, a common Mafia practice to indicate the killing was related to the victim's criminal activities. William Youngworth, an antiques dealer and mob associate who in 1997 led a reporter to what may have been one of the stolen Gardner paintings, hidden in a Brooklyn warehouse, claimed at that time that Donati was on the verge of being made when he was killed, and killing a made man requires his boss's approval.

In mob culture in the American Mafia and Sicilian Mafia, a made man is a fully initiated member of the Mafia (though the Sicilian Mafia itself refers to such individuals as men of honor in the Italian or Sicilian language). To become "made," an associate first has to be sponsored by another made man.

An inductee will be required to take the oath of Omertà, the mafia code of silence. After the induction ceremony, the associate becomes a "made man" and holds the rank of soldier (Italian: soldato) in the Mafia hierarchy.

Was Bobby Donati connected to 500 million dollar heist? And what of the dodgy William Youngworth, an antiques dealer? who lead a reporter to Brooklyn warehouse?

What many people do not understand in Europe art theft has long connection to Mafia clans?

Why you ask?

Because while art is for rich a tax evasion scheme for criminals like the Mafia it is an insurance policy. Many Mafia figure pay big money for these masterpieces not because of the great art but as insurance policy? It my friends comes down to Italian law?

If they are caught with their dealing in prostitution murder drug smuggling extortion etc.. and go to jail, there is a loop hole in Italian law they can reduce their prison sentence if they reveal missing cultural patrimony in deal with authorities. This has become an insurance policy for criminals to lower their prison sentences.

So in effect the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston heist reeks of a Mafia connection?

Perhaps the key to missing paintings is connected to hidden depository in Brooklyn warehouse awaiting for some lucky discoverer years to come?

Kanacki

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh , notable loot of thieves.
Spaggiari and the Nice (in France) bank job in 1976.
An interesting job with the contents of 400 safety deposit boxes.
An ex girlfriend of one gang member set the previously puzzled police in motion with a tip. (And a single fingerprint had been obtained earlier as well. )

[None of the proceeds of the robbery were ever found.]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Spaggiari

Hello RC

He was one of cockiest criminals to ever taunt police. He was noted in sending the public prosecutor post cards from different places in the world. He even met the England's great train robber Ronnie Brigs in Brazil. He did dramatic escape from police custody in court house in France jumping out of window then landing on a roof of a trunk rolling off and jumping on the back of motorcyclist to make his escape.

He was very cool customer. Way too smart for authorities. see film about him be below.

An yes none of that 50 mil was never recovered.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All i just awoke from my siesta.

Kinda nodded off with grandpa nap. :-)

Treasure legends are constantly birthing as seen in the last few posts. Because of war or disaster or proceeds of robbery or fear of robbery. But what in future?

With the advent of technology will there be anything to search for?

In developed societies in the next generations after we a long gone will eventually become cashless society? Will everyone have a chip inserted into the body? At first it will be plugged to our kids who are enthralled by technology not understanding we are becoming prisoners of technical entrapment as trendy thing to do? Then before we know it? it becomes the norm? ( sound familiar?)

Now there no more money, no credit card or pin number to remember just blip on scanner and everyone assigned credits. This chip will contain medical records diagnostic tools monitoring everything from blood sugar levels. heart lung function, blood pressure to your fiances, education work skills, and even any police records, religious and political affiliations.

But that not is all and even the key to open your door, car public transport or even your work ( if you have not been replaced by a robot! :-). Perhaps your access will be limited to places depending your classification level. This chip will be tracked 24/7 where every where you go it will be your passport your identity card.

This chip will monitors your purchases, if you buy too much alcohol, too much your daily intake of sugary foods and calorie intake it will shut down your access to credits as unhealthy behavior like smoking and drinking will be moderated.

And if you rebel well no doubt technology will have an answer for that also. Every moment every thought will be tracked from cradle to the grave. And any opinions deemed abhorrent to the social engineers and powers to be will be moderated either by mandatory credits reduction or penalty pain surges through the chip into you nervous system. Your every thoughts and moves will be monitored 24/7 from cradle to the grave under the pretense war against terrorism.

Science fiction or future reality? Perhaps its already progressively beginning?

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All

But future or no future?

I have no power over the future powers to be? So I do not wish longevity but to live every breathing moment as free as a bird. More priceless to me than any treasure. For now a coffee and yarn of fortune and glory is the next best thing.

Kanacki

Last edited:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All

But future or no future?

I have no power over the future powers to be? So I do not wish longevity but to live every breathing moment as free as a bird. More priceless to me than any treasure. For now a coffee and yarn of fortune and glory is the next best thing.

Kanacki

Oh my my my!!!

I cannot agree more...
the thing that possesses my mind, after reading the last two posts.

One movie.
One TV series.
One question.

“Soilent Green”
“Continuum”
?? What have you been adding to your coffee [emoji477]️ lately??

I think that you like making me envy your life on your island [emoji267] home.

I have come to like these Ozark hills.

I lived in Orange County, California, for nine months, after marrying my,
Blonde haired, blue eyed, California girl,Love of my life. Before returning to these old hills. (Longest eighteen months of my life!)

For several months after returning, I was still talking to some of the folks that knew where we moved back to, and the same question kept coming up from each of them...

“What’s it like, living out there?”
I would tell them, over and over again,
“You wouldn’t like it, don’t come!”

I finally found the best answer for them, by telling them that if they moved out here they would have to learn that Pig Call!!

The normal response was “That Whooo Pig [emoji200] Sooooey! That they do at the football games?”

My answer was “ No not that one...
The one from the movie...

“Deliverance !!” ( Ned Beatty ) sp.

Slowly the phone calls stopped...

#/;0{‘>~

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello PM

Us island hillbilly's have a nice little jungle additive to add to the coffee. :-) You know us islanders are bit behind the times. Last time I was in California I was in San Diego and asked for a coffee. I got a 10 minute spiel about different coffees and replied I just want a coffee? The waitress looked dumbfounded? Finally we determined which coffee we could have then she ask if needed an environmental friendly cup? Just cup of coffee please? Us jungle islanders are very easy to please.

But it reminded me how Californian society, quite wealthy has become so "over complex" with their wants and needs in everything they do? I could imagine subtle differences between the various States. Some states wants and needs are much simpler. In some respects reflect much different lifestyles.

But time gets by and some times we do not notice. I came from era doing what we are doing right now on the internet was the realms of science fiction? Yet times have changed even for simple islanders out in back blocks of nowhere?

For example I many years ago visited various islands with ramshackle houses no proper plumbing or clean drinking water. With rough corrugated iron roofs that leaked . Pots were put down to collect the rain water. Well my friend those ramshackle houses still exist still with their leaking roof with pots still collecting rain water 30 years later except now everyone who lives in them has smart phones and big screen TVS .

Just one small example on how things have changed. I dare say all of you have seen changes in your parts of world and lives?

Want to hear an old feller joke? Just when I get used to new piece of technology and feeling all confident I am keeping up. My kids shook their heads say to me AW Dad that old crap everyone's throwing that old junk out now you got to get the next thing?

Like my two oldest sons skippers themselves yet they rely so much on satellite navigation and GPS systems. Even with electronic maps. I am old paper map guy myself. I can steer by the sun moon and stars without computers. But I think my sons would struggling if they had use the "old methods' Today it is easy just press of button and very accurate I concede. But what if you lose the technology gadgetry?

Time my friends. Now a for little more coffee?

Kanacki

Last edited:

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ola Kanaci, I know just what you mean on the celestial navigation. In the old days Calif was a paradise where you listed your address as, for example as "11Curry Lane" my old address archaic things such as this. Sigh, where I - aw forget i, Your Islands are far more Interesting.Keep it up! For instance has anyone had any sucess on the waterfall yet ?

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shoshana zuboff , coined a phrase “surveillance capitalism” interesting reading. Scary times.

Hello banana skin slippers how are you these days?

Please do not take my coffee based rantings alone. You can see yourself. This concept is seriously being considered in China and Sweden. If it is successful then it will eventually spread all over the globe. "Most likely be sold to the public as weapon against terrorist funding or elicit funds from criminal activities."

What governments and banking institutions really want is get their hands on the black market economy. So even transaction is logged and tracked via electronic transaction. So Sally sue selling glass of lemonade from front of parents house will have to VAT on every glass she sells. And what ever bank she is signed up with will get transaction fee charged. Want a sell some unwanted goods that been lying around the home? Paper money does not exist no you have have an electronic translation and so vat will have be charged and of course the banks rubbing their greedy little hands get their cut too.

The inconvenient truth of matter the black economy is propping up half the worlds countries. The vast majority live on the threshold of poverty. ironic as 200 of worlds biggest multinational companies do not pay tax at all. So our governments and banking institutions are only in power because of lobbying from those companies.

Ask yourself how many actually went to jail for 2008 banking crisis?

https://ig.ft.com/jailed-bankers/

In reality it was only a token gesture a few minor bankers had to take one for the team.

In Australia they had banking royal commission uncover gross violation and outright theft. 52000 cases of money laundering. Not one of the 4 big bank CEOS has been jailed. So the government was forced by the public to be seen punishing the banks. The banks just put their fees up and punished their customers to pay the fine.

The banks investigated was insulted by being actually caught red handed so in revenge has tightened up lending procedures that it has sent the construction industry into free fall. With thousand of unfinished projects starved of cash. thus creating a slowing down in the economy a recession. So you see government might officially weld the power the truth of the matter its the banks that own them.

And now they want your pocket change, and there are billions of us around the world. So the next gold rush is get everyone totally entrapped into traceable digital currency. And perhaps more control and power over ever ones every day lives?

https://theconversation.com/central-bank-digital-currencies-toward-a-cashless-society-93903

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microchip_implant_(human)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_Money

https://voxeu.org/article/electronic-money-enhancement-or-replacement

https://www.smh.com.au/opinion/goodbye-cash-and-cheques-faster-electronic-payments-are-nearly-here-20180101-h0c41k.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_currency

I could go on but please look into it yourself.

Then they say with such audacity that your free?

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ola Kanaci, I know just what you mean on the celestial navigation. In the old days Calif was a paradise where you listed your address as, for example as "11Curry Lane" my old address archaic things such as this. Sigh, where I - aw forget i, Your Islands are far more Interesting.Keep it up! For instance has anyone had any sucess on the waterfall yet ?

Hello Don Jose amigo

Ah the waterfall treasure? Its in a very safe place amigo.:-)

It all comes with the charm my friend? Better to keep people wondering what if?

The Trio some times collectively some times independently has various projects going all over the globe. Hell there could even be a few people here of treasure net that might be working with us on a particular project. Many projects will undoubtedly fail because of one reason or another others will prosper.

Its the roll of dice which ones will eventually be successful. Even if the long chance it does it will depending on the situation, never see the light of day officially. Some legends are better to remain legends. Much better to get people to think you have found nothing than have.

I still have not told you about the voyage from New Britain, Solomon island Vanuatu Tasman sea down to Auckland island?

Kanacki

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Friends pull up seat choose your brew and get comfy. By the online campfire. Once again Kanacki has a yarn for you. And I apologies in advance it will be in parts.

You know sailing the Pacific is not just about catching the right winds each voyage have to be planned. Your traveling across international borders and you are entering various ports of entry in each island territory or country. Well the opportunity arose for cruise via new Guinea, Solomon islands, Vanuatu new Caledonia down into coral sea to Crow's island off the Queensland coast then down the Australian coast into Sydney Tasman sea visiting some islands then then onto the land of the long white cloud new Zealand Auckland then down to Capital wellington down to sub antarctic islands then back to wellington then for most of us return to my island via Fiji.

I say most of as old Crow due to his own business commitments was only on this voyage of the Tasman sea to new Zealand and sub Antarctic islands and fly out of Wellington. It should be noted the cruise was not a real treasure expedition but more of an adventure cruise. I had a young crew of islander learning seamanship. Many of them became crew members of fishing trawlers. Some in Alaska and some work out in Seattle. But what voyage with some anticipation for fortune and glory my friends.

There are many stories and yarns about cannibals, cargo cults. mysterious tribes, lost Spanish settlement, pirates escaped convict beach combers . Blackbirders slavers, whalers sealers and terrible shipwrecks. Spanning the tropical to temperate seas and the odd treasure yarn or two. Even follow in the footsteps of our esteemed friend Don Jose my friends.

But amigos it was more that just having snoop for treasure it was voyage of following in the footsteps early mariners in the strange antipodean seas. Meeting A kaleidoscope of people and places in the adventure of a life time.

Hopefully my words will be lucid enough for you to visualize the journey in keeping with the great writers of pacific and taste of life many will never sadly experience my friends.

Now once gain its late old Kanacki is in need of that additive to his coffee?

To be continued...

Kanacki

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Kanacki,
Your sentence rings so true: "But amigos it was more that just having snoop for treasure it was voyage of following in the footsteps early mariners in the strange antipodean seas. Meeting A kaleidoscope of people and places in the adventure of a life time."

While I have not traversed antipodean seas, I have experienced the same feelings of taking my boat over seas on the routes of galleons; knowing that one or more of these lost wrecks were fathoms beneath me--and if their crew could speak to me now, what a grand story I would hear.
Don.......

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi you sea going swannies, we also have memories, a reprint from my book,
In my opinion, whatever is written about Don Jose should include his own words from several years ago. Here's his quote from Mar.27, 2011:

"While I may not have acquired riches or fame in the campaign, I 'have' accumulated wonderful
memories and experiences which can never be reexperienced or bought. Memories of traveling
by myself / mule, in what was basically unexplored territory in those days. Of being on top
of lonely pine covered mesas by a small campfire listening to coyotes tell of dinners and love
found or lost, Listening to the gentle sigh of the deliciously pine scented clean air, which hinted of
frost by morning. Or of being deep in tropical canyons exploring ruins that probably had not
seen another human since the last survivors left centuries ago. I was able to sense a feeling of
complete freedom, a feeling which very few humans today are privileged to experience. It is
difficult to put into words."

"I had the unique opportunity to find just how much I could rely upon myself, and not others.
this was experienced in traveling in uncharted country, twice experiencing bandits, lack of food,
heat and cold, sometimes continuing to exist simply by willing my body to place one foot ahead,
then the other until I managed to reach safety, or my camp. It was a growing up period, which
while rough, I would never change."

Source: The history of Tayopa I do not where or when this copy of the gro logue was posted or by whom, but I would like to thank hm (acknowledge please, so we can give you credit )and thanks. )

Last edited:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kanaci, this is fot.you front row, third from left, the runt. Usaf

View attachment 1693279

Jose, did it take all of
You fellas to keep that rig coming back for more?!

That is a rough n tough looking crew.
Does the fella, second one to your left, have an eyepatch on his left eye?
He looks a bit like a pirate 🏴*☠️.

#/;0{>~

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All

PM I could imagine so. Aircraft is a lot like a ship my friends its your little world, your little empire and little baby.You become attached to the old crate. Its nuts it bolts the noises creaks and groans. As crew your life only exists it that vessel or aircraft exists. So in effect its easy to become attached emotionally with a ship or aircraft when your life depends on it? I went through it when I passed on the "Drumbeat" it to my son , it felt like i was cutting my arm off.

Hello Don Jose

The passage you mentioned below....

"While I may not have acquired riches or fame in the campaign, I 'have' accumulated wonderful
memories and experiences which can never be reexperienced or bought. Memories of traveling
by myself / mule, in what was basically unexplored territory in those days. Of being on top
of lonely pine covered mesas by a small campfire listening to coyotes tell of dinners and love
found or lost, Listening to the gentle sigh of the deliciously pine scented clean air, which hinted of
frost by morning. Or of being deep in tropical canyons exploring ruins that probably had not
seen another human since the last survivors left centuries ago. I was able to sense a feeling of
complete freedom, a feeling which very few humans today are privileged to experience. It is
difficult to put into words."

They are beautiful words and inspiring my friend. For another moment I was sucked into another time and place and could visualize every step on the way.

Don Mackay indeed I agree very much with your words about following in the footsteps of these galleons. One night in the full moon in a gentle rolling sea with the sound of an odd swish every now and again. the crew working in moonlight with shadows across the deck doing A sail change. Hearing the groans and strain of the men hauling up the main sail. the sight would not of been out of place back in the days when sail ruled seas. The scene before me had taken me back in time to the days of pirates buccaneers and old salts roamed the seas. A magical moment my friend.

Kanacki

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread